Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Users Chit Chat / Conversa entre Utilizadores
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Virus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 54>
Author
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/April/2020 at 12:02
Andrew, I said "routinely".  An important difference.
I know about Airport cops, Nuclear Installation cops and the police vehicles that carry weapons in a locked box for a quick response. In the UK our police work through co-operation with the public, not by implied threat. Big difference from continental paramilitary police.
Look at those police in Albufeira. Built like Arnie and armed.
It's not the British way. But then, we've been a democracy for a long time.
It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As pretty as an Airport' appear. Douglas Adams
Richardk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/April/2020 at 12:30
Originally posted by cubsur cubsur wrote:

Originally posted by Richardk Richardk wrote:

17 workers in a house near Inatel beach are being isolated as some have proved positive. The GNR are stationed outside to ensure no one leaves.

Stay safe everyone

This was reported in local media as being near Tavira, the second such incident involving large groups of migrant farm workers living in very poor conditions. Together these two incidents account for about 10% of the positive cases in the Algarve.

This maybe a different incident - the Tavira story was people living in a factory. Picture I saw showed the Albufeira GNR parked on hill by car park top of escalators. Either way need to keep distance when out otherwise stay at home and hopefully we will be out of this soon (that's more in hope than expectation)

Andrew View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/April/2020 at 19:44
Jock,
Noted, but the armed cops I’ve seen were “routinely” at work, just out and about town, patrolling, nothing out of the ordinary going on.
So, as my original answer in my daily experiences, before being put on 12 weeks isolation anyway.
Andrew
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/April/2020 at 08:25
I have had a quick look a round local news media and find no mention of a 'mass incident' in Albufeira. These people, who are virtual slaves, are prime targets though for any kind of disease or other affliction living as they do.

Also, it appears there was a mass exodus from Lisbon last night despite attempts to control it. I hope they enjoy their few days in the rain.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/April/2020 at 09:34
Just received my April water bill with, as promised by the council, a rebate on some of the standing charges. Reduces my bill by €8,51.

Also, the GIRO buses are still not taking fares, so another €11 a month saved.
Albufeira Resident

Richardk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/April/2020 at 10:59
Your beer fund is growing quickly.
Jayjan View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jayjan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/April/2020 at 21:41
Just read on Portugal News, The President  Marcelo Rebelo de Sousa  has now extended lockdown ( State of Emergency)   until the 1st May and then will be reviewed again.
https://www.theportugalnews.com/news/portugal-state-of-emergency-extended-until-may-1/53717
Also this publication today  in the Portugal Resident newspaper: https://www.portugalresident.com/pm-costa-preparing-to-reopen-portugal-for-business/ 
Polli the dancing cat strikes again.
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/April/2020 at 09:54
Originally posted by Richardk Richardk wrote:

Your beer fund is growing quickly.

Indeed, but where to spend it?

State of emergency indeed will be extended until May 1st (The current one expires on April17th) and after that, it is being said, that there would then be a gradual return to some semblance of normality.

Looks like it is being accepted that we cannot go like this indefinitely.
Albufeira Resident

Andrew View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/April/2020 at 20:27
Thanks for that news Tom but the positivity in it is somewhat dampened by this report...

Andrew
Jayjan View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jayjan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/April/2020 at 21:02
Good report from Portugal Resident Andrew. I too think it will be extended further than the  1st May.
 I read on some hotel websites which are closed at the moment, that  they will be taking bookings from the 1st May, (mmm I wouldn't want to book any of them especially  for this year) obviously they are going off the state of emergency date  extension. Other travel agencies are still taking hotel bookings as well which I think is irresponsable until they know the outcome of restrictions.
I just hope the Algarve   in general and all businesses involved in tourism  can come out of this and recover well after all of this and things can  get back to normality. 
Polli the dancing cat strikes again.
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/April/2020 at 09:53
New restrictions? Audible evidence around here very early this morning that families confined to their homes are starting to get on each others nerves!

Another benefit I have realised - no junk flyers in my mailbox. The deliverers thereof are obviously not working.
Albufeira Resident

pyrman View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyrman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/April/2020 at 11:32
Counted 30-40 people walking the beach this morning ... we tend to forget the huge number of private villas and apts that would be available for now and on ... Booking.com has 40 pages of them .. Travel Republic has 40 Albufeira hotels available last week in April ...
Pyrman
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/April/2020 at 18:35
Certainly a number of tourists around, they are the ones walking around without their shirts on.

I spotted today that the local hardware store, Drogaria do Ténis, is open for business.
Albufeira Resident

Andrew View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/April/2020 at 08:48
And some more interesting news. What are you doing down there? Not staying in it would seem.

Andrew
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/April/2020 at 08:58
The number of cases is still tiny.  They are not specific about who is transmitting to whom and where. Is it through home contact? People are still working in shops, banks, on building sites, on farms, driving buses and taxis etc etc

Surely a 24/7 curfew is the only means of stopping this? Everybody, no exceptions whatsoever, for a week perhaps.
Albufeira Resident

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 54>
  Share Topic