Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Users Chit Chat / Conversa entre Utilizadores
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Virus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 54>
Author
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/April/2020 at 09:41
Andrew
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/April/2020 at 08:11
Certainly by the English walking around with no shirts on!
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/April/2020 at 08:12
From Portugal Resident News this morning concerning face masks :

"... The new ruling came into effect on Monday. It stresses that anyone over the age of 65, or with a chronic condition and/ or immunosuppressed, should wear a surgical face mask whenever leaving home.

All other members of general society (excluding ‘key workers’ who should also wear surgical face masks) should wear what are called ‘community, or social face masks’ which can be made of fabric. These masks must be worn when going into interior spaces with large numbers of people (ie large supermarkets/ shops)."

Which begs the question - if you don't have one, will a shop let you in to buy one even if they have any to sell?

Albufeira Resident

animallover View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote animallover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/April/2020 at 10:43
At beginning we were advised to wear gloves but now we're told not to wear them! Now we're being advised to wear masks... apparently we should only be using one pair of shoes to go outside and take them off before going indoors as virus can be on sole of shoe. And when we bring shopping home bag should be placed on floor and all items purchased should be wiped! Masks will be like gold dust now and probably sold out in most places so will have to try and make one!
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/April/2020 at 14:01
Taking all these antiseptic precautions reduces the natural level of immunity. Those of us of a certain age will remember when it was better to have a mild dose of measles or chickenpox when young than suffer the ravages in later life.

This summer's outfit of choice:

Albufeira Resident

cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/April/2020 at 14:03
Thoughts for the day :

1. It is exactly 1 month since I was last on licensed premises;

2. It is exactly one month since I spent any actual cash money.

Ergo, I am personally responsible for the collapse of the the licensed trade here.
Albufeira Resident

A9NDY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A9NDY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/April/2020 at 15:46
I have never had notes sit in my wallet for so long I have £80 in the new polymer style 20s since the beginning of March.... supermarkets are requesting card/ contactless payments and the smaller shops are card only .... suppose I’ve got some beer money when everything gets back to normal 🍺
malagabob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malagabob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/April/2020 at 05:30
There  was a report that over 50 million unused barrels of beer/lager are to be poured away in the UK, Cry
As the brewing time from start to finish is a few weeks. The brewers will have to have a few weeks notice to have supplies ready when the bars are allowed to open again. Plus all the delivery logistics.
Never put off something that you could do today
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/April/2020 at 08:17
I dare say the same applies here.  A vast amount of barrelled stock will be lost. We shall have to drink wine instead.
Albufeira Resident

Jock View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/April/2020 at 11:10
Lager type beer may be longer lasting. I think that's because it's pateurised, no live yeast.
It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As pretty as an Airport' appear. Douglas Adams
Luis View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/April/2020 at 16:39
"University of Oxford team in race to find working coronavirus vaccine in six months - ITV News" https://www.itv.com/news/2020-04-14/coronavirus-vaccine-university-oxford-how-long-tom-clarke/

Good luck professor Sarah Gilbert we are all rooting for you.
Jayjan View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jayjan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/April/2020 at 23:18
Cant see it Luis, it will take just as long if not longer  for it to be tested safe and approved  by the powers   that be in the UK, BMA etc  and elsewhere,  than coming up with a vaccine what they think will work. Hopefully they don't make it mandatory to have one, as I am against that. I think you should  be able to have an option to have or  not to have it if you don't want. Just my opinion, as vaccines have proved over the years they are not as  affective as made out to be.Plus some folks react badly to them.
Polli the dancing cat strikes again.
Luis View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/April/2020 at 00:22
Hi Jayjan,i can see it because there are too many interests (Economic) behind this and they will fast track everything if it this is successful,also i did read that the Government is trowing a massive ammount of money towards this. As for mandatoy vaccination yes i agree with you it should be the individual choice. Stay safe
Luis View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/April/2020 at 00:45
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/April/2020 at 08:35
This is all very well but if this particular virus is still around in 6 months will it matter?

Or until the next one comes along and then it will start all over again.

There was not this reaction with SARS, H1N1, even normal annual winter influenza which kills tens if not hundreds of thousands world-wide every year.
Albufeira Resident

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 54>
  Share Topic