Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Users Chit Chat / Conversa entre Utilizadores
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Virus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 54>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/August/2020 at 09:01
The obsession with statistics! The headlines scream a number and people react as if the Black Death was on the doorstep.

How many see this quote from BBC this morning as a good sign?

"An estimated 1 in 1,900, or 28,300 people in England currently have the virus."

That means that about 99.95% of the population do not. Does this mean the preventative measures are working? Or something else. 

The total number of confirmed cases for the whole of Portugal since this began is just under 0.5% of the population. My maths indicate a very similar percentage for UK, allowing for the fact that different sources have slightly different numbers.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
JuliejH View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JuliejH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/August/2020 at 15:27
As of 00:00 on 14 August, "229 active cases" are counted, in an "accumulation of 948 positive patients", with "nine inpatients", none in intensive care, and "397 in active surveillance", six of them in the Support to the Population (ZAP) in Albufeira, six in Faro and 15 in Loulé.
According to the Portugal News
pyrman View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyrman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/August/2020 at 14:39
Here is another way to look at where we are in Algarve ... the pandemic has now been running for 24 weeks. In the first 12 weeks until May 26, we had 363 identified cases ... and in the next 12 weeks we have another 612 cases ... does this spell `come to Algarve`, where the recent average is equivalent to over 650 new cases per week in Scotland .. and remember .. this does not speak to the 90% of population who have not been tested and may not notice any symptoms .. we are still very much in the dark on this virus ..
Pyrman
JuliejH View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JuliejH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/August/2020 at 17:10
Travel ban lifted , finally !!
Andrew View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/August/2020 at 17:12
it’s lifted, thank goodness!
Andrew
Gazza View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/August/2020 at 17:20
UK tourists will no longer need to quarantine after holidaying in Portugal   Smile
Jock View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/August/2020 at 19:04
....from 22nd according to FCO email. Why not immediately?
It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As pretty as an Airport' appear. Douglas Adams
sunseeker2010 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunseeker2010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/August/2020 at 19:43
Absolutely delighted for everyone. Now
get me on that plane.
pyrman View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyrman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/August/2020 at 10:20
Good news for travellers and locals ... but remember the drills, learn the protocols .. and stay safe.
Pyrman
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/August/2020 at 07:33
I popped into a local supermarket in Bordeaux yesterday. When I walked past the stacks of disposable face masks for sale, I could not help but notice that they were all made in China.
Albufeira Resident

Gazza View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/August/2020 at 15:43
I popped into a local supermarket in Bordeaux yesterday. When I walked past the stacks of disposable face masks for sale, I could not help but notice that they were all made in China.

In the UK they go for about £15 for twenty in Boots etc. I got mine off Amazon a few months ago, £8.75 for 50! All made in China.
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/August/2020 at 07:07
Same price, more or less, in French shops. So it begs the question, to me at least, here we are in the grip of the worst epidemic for 100 years yet no-one in Europe is making the things and we have to buy them from the country that sent us the virus in the first place.

Clever of the Chinese.

Also, these disposable masks are rapidly becoming the second biggest litter item after plastic bottles. They don't dissolve when wet, so could be around for a long time.
Albufeira Resident

JuliejH View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JuliejH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/August/2020 at 15:46
Seeing a sudden jump in numbers the last 2 days , 362 yesterday and 399 today, this is a little worrying, still seem mainly in the north , I wonder what is behind this recent jump 🤔
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/August/2020 at 09:02
More tourists, more people on the move, all sorts of likely reasons but as you say this more in the populous north.

The numbers released yesterday indicated that, on average, in a town the size of Albufeira (25,000 people) about four people would currently be infected.

Nationally, around 0.6% of confirmed cases have required hospital treatment.

In the Algarve region there have been 1060 confirmed cases since the beginning. That represents about 0.25% of the population. Or, 99.75% have not been affected.

There have been 17 deaths, or 1.6% of those infected.

So, being positive, there is a tiny chance of being infected and less than 1% chance of it being serious enough to require hospital.

However, government is apparently going to announce new restrictions on movement and travel to come into effect when the new school year begins around 15th September.
Albufeira Resident

cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/August/2020 at 11:42
Just an aside on the strange and illogical things this is causing. When I flew back from France on Wednesday, the gate staff at the airport were studiously checking everyone's passport photos as they have always done. With everyone masked, I asked 'how do you know'? The girl laughed and shook her head.
Albufeira Resident

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 54>
  Share Topic