Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Living in Albufeira / Viver em Albufeira » Algarve Foreign Residents / Residentes Estrangeiros
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBUYING A PROPERTY

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: BUYING A PROPERTY
    Posted: 19/November/2015 at 11:52
We are getting increasingly frustrated in our search for a place to buy in the Algarve. We spent half-an-hour with a lady in Remax, Albufeira, who told us she had access to hundreds of properties. We waited 3 days for a list of possibilities via email here, where we're renting, and were sent 1 property at double the price we asked for! Since then, 3 days ago...nothing! My husband says, from experience of buying a place 20 years ago, that an agent will always try and sell you the stuff that they make the most commission on. We have seen the same properties for sale with different agents at various prices (various commission?). There are so many empty, unsold properties. Why is it so difficult to get to view them? Is there a site where we buy direct from an owner? We might just give up....
Sponsored Links

Andrew View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/November/2015 at 12:04
We had similar with the big multi chain set ups, we did much better with the small independents.
There's several in Old Town, just walk in, we viewed four properties the same afternoon we walked in, and got treated to a beer and a prawn salad whilst we mulled. Great service.
Andrew
john2604smith View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/November/2015 at 13:52
Have you looked on Rightmove and made a list of properties and tell the Estate Agents those are the properties you want to view. I used ERA when I bought mine but I knew the area I wanted to be in, so sort of guided the Estate Agent to that exact area. I can understand your frustration as it's like pulling teeth with a lot of them. They are going to get a big chunk of commission and they cannot be arsed Clown
ownersdirect P3708
happygirl709 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/November/2015 at 15:01
We used Cerro Novo in the old town when we sold and bought our properties and can recommend them.
stuart123 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/November/2015 at 08:02
I found my property from Divine Home in Albuferia Marina - plenty of properties to pick from and no hassle with pushy sales people.

I'd also say look at http://casa.sapo.pt its the portugal rightmove!

Also a really good source of properties can be found direct from the bank websites for repossessions - normally at least 20% less than market value.
MaggieFC View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/November/2015 at 10:10
Thank you for your help, all. We are, at last, finding properties on the sites mentioned that WE want to look view. We definitely don't want an apartment as we'll be staying here for at least 6 months of the year and we have found, in the 3 apartments we have stayed in since we arrived in September, that we are not so keen on hearing other folks goings on....lol. Another consideration is the barking dogs. We stayed in a lovely apartment at the top of Albufeira for a while but the constant barking of dogs on either side of us has put us off that particular area. We are looking for our own little pad not too far from a town/village and we don't mind doing a bit of work but not a total renovation.
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/November/2015 at 11:22
Good luck with trying to avoid barking dogs - they're everywhere
I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
tiganut View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/November/2015 at 11:49
Try Carlos 00351919982714
He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins
Algarveaddick View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/November/2015 at 07:38
Originally posted by DICEYUK DICEYUK wrote:

Sadly this is spot on Maggie.

My tip is buy somewhere south facing, it helps keep the place warm in the winter.
Linda View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/November/2015 at 15:28
Originally posted by DICEYUK DICEYUK wrote:

Yes, I've noticed this about Portugal and Spain - - the dogs barking all through the night !! 

The noise seems to echo eveywhere too. 

I know people may leave their dogs outside because of the warmer weather -- -- but how do the owners sleep through it  !!?? 

Nothing worse than barking dogs all night long! -- and I am a dog lover. 

Andrew View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/November/2015 at 18:44
I don't think they see the dogs as pets as we do, none of our neighbours dogs ever go in the house, they parade the yard or garden. That said we don't have the barking issues you mention, fingers crossed it stays that way.
Andrew
Jayjan View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/November/2015 at 20:16
I think the Portuguese use them more as a deterrant and for  security purposes rather than as family  pets. Hence majority of them being housed outside the home.
Polli the dancing cat strikes again.
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/November/2015 at 09:16
Jayjan's right. It seems necessary, especially for every rural home, for all to have an attack dog. There are also places where semi-wild dogs roam.

Just down the road from me there are two huge dogs, one an absolute ringer for the Hound of the Baskervilles, that are kept on a tiny balcony with nothing to do all day but bark themselves silly. If that is not cruelty i don't know what is.

When I first moved here and for a long time afterwards there was no problem with dogs barking and howling at night, but just lately someone has a dog which makes a loud noise ( I cannot call it barking) well into the night.

It is definitely worth visiting any area at night before a house is considered. Dog noise carries a long way and as there are apparently no laws against it of any value, it will be a problem for many.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
john2604smith View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/November/2015 at 12:01
Fingers crossed, none where I am at the moment Big smile
ownersdirect P3708
bob d View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/November/2015 at 18:14
Just along the road from us is a small dog on a balcony that does a bit of yapping but the funny thing is there is also a parrot on the same balcony and if the dogs not doing his bit of yapping then the parrot is imitating the wee dog. It's hard to tell whether it's the dog or the parrot but if you walk past and say 'ola' you will know which one cos the said parrot stops yapping and answers back.
we're not brazil we're norn iron
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic