Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Living in Albufeira / Viver em Albufeira » Algarve Foreign Residents / Residentes Estrangeiros
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Withdrawing Cash from ATMs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cooknoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Withdrawing Cash from ATMs
    Posted: 07/June/2018 at 15:04
Until now, we have only spent the normal length holidays in Portugal, however this will soon be changing and we intend to stay for several weeks at a time. We obviously won’t want to carry huge sums of cash, and intend to draw money from our Portuguese account which has so far only been used to pay bills.
Might sound like an odd question, but how easy is it to withdraw cash from the ATMs using a Portuguese card? Can you access the instructions in English, or will they only be shown in Portuguese, and then require translation. I’ve googled it on the internet, but can’t seem to find the information. I’d be grateful for any advice - Thanks
Sponsored Links

tonisdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonisdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/June/2018 at 17:46
Originally posted by Cooknoe Cooknoe wrote:

Until now, we have only spent the normal length holidays in Portugal, however this will soon be changing and we intend to stay for several weeks at a time. We obviously won’t want to carry huge sums of cash, and intend to draw money from our Portuguese account which has so far only been used to pay bills.
Might sound like an odd question, but how easy is it to withdraw cash from the ATMs using a Portuguese card? Can you access the instructions in English, or will they only be shown in Portuguese, and then require translation. I’ve googled it on the internet, but can’t seem to find the information. I’d be grateful for any advice - Thanks

Take your English card  
All instructions in English by choosing Union jack picture on the screen options.
When on screen choose for the conversion to be done by your own bank. 
This option is in general down the left side.
Get yourself a Halifax Clarity card you get just about perfect exchange rate.
Example if rate is 1.15 you will get circa 1.146.
One thing I have noticed last couple of weeks is some ATM`s saying you will be charged 2.50 for this transaction.
This is not all machines just cancel and find another machine.
Watch for some sneak on your back just as at home.
Other people may have better options but that works for me.
Andrew View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/June/2018 at 21:05
Tonisdad, good advice but Cooknoe says it’s a Portuguese account/card..

Cooknoe, it is easy, but it doesn’t sadly offer an English display... forgive me, I’m watching the England game in 30 odd degrees, at this time of night, in Corfu, but tomorrow I’ll revisit my notes and let you know what buttons you need to press.
Andrew
peteknopp View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peteknopp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/June/2018 at 21:42
insert card, insert pin. top left option is 'levamento' click this and select amount or enter your own amount. then it asks if you want a receipt - sim or nao then collect your wonga.
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/June/2018 at 08:53
On the Euronet ATM's you can access the instructions in English even when using a Portuguese card. Euronet only has 20 and 50 Euro notes though.

I have not yet been charged by my bank for using Euronet instead of Multibanco.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
Cooknoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cooknoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/June/2018 at 19:21
Thanks all for the advice. Will give it a go when we come in a few weeks time. We have always exchanged in the UK and brought euros with us, but that will no longer be viable if we are over for longer periods.
Lots of Euronet machines springing up in Olhos, but I understood from the TA forum that there is a levy to use these. If not, I suppose that the advantage is that they are not multi functional like the other ATMs which offer other services resulting in a longer wait.
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/June/2018 at 10:14
"..."but I understood from the TA forum that there is a levy to use these

You do get a warning notice that your bank or card issuer make charge you for making a withdrawal. Presumably that's over and above their normal currency conversion and commission charges. It's also been said that Euronet offer a slightly lower rate of exchange for non Euro cards, which is logical as they have to make money somehow.

And yes Euronet is a simple cash machine and not somewhere people will stand for hours paying all their bills.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic