Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Users Chit Chat / Conversa entre Utilizadores
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhats on in Febuary?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whats on in Febuary?
    Posted: 13/January/2017 at 12:57
Happy new year folks, hope you all had a nice Christmas, I'm, coming over in the middle of February with two 14 year old kids, I've never been in Feb, is there anything going on, restaurants or bars with entertainment? also, whats the shore fishing like at this time of year?
Sponsored Links

DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/January/2017 at 13:26

Loule Carnavale 25th to 28th February

http://family.portugalconfidential.com/carnival-loule-carnival-february-2017/

Volta ao Algarve 15th to 19th February - starts in Albufeira on the 15th February

http://voltaaoalgarve.com/en/home-2/

I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
0856kit View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/January/2017 at 19:46
Thanks Dicey!
tonisdad View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/January/2017 at 20:29
Originally posted by 0856kit 0856kit wrote:

Thanks Dicey!

Can absolutely recommend Loule Carnaval. It`s worth the 2 euro entrance fee to watch the mucky old men with their video cameras falling over themselves when the float with half naked females comes around.
Seriously though have a look on youtube for a taster it`s a great atmosphere.
Biggunspaul View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/January/2017 at 21:05
Serious question,why does anyone go to the Algarve in the winter months when most places are shut and the temperatures are not that great ?

Why not go to somewhere like the canaries where everywhere is open,the temperatures are far better and it's just as cheap to fly to.
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/January/2017 at 22:03
Originally posted by Biggunspaul Biggunspaul wrote:

Serious question,why does anyone go to the Algarve in the winter months when most places are shut and the temperatures are not that great ?

Why not go to somewhere like the canaries where everywhere is open,the temperatures are far better and it's just as cheap to fly to.

Autumn, Winter and Spring is the best time of the year as far as we're concerned and we usually spend about 4 months there from October to April.
The main reasons are -

1. The weather is generally good, much better than the UK
2. Most places are only shut for a month or two and more than enough stay open all the time
3. There are plenty of things to do & places to go - golf, walking, bird watching, cycling, tours, excursions. In fact there's not a lot that you can do in the Summer that you can't do in the Winter.
4. There are not so many holiday makers about so it's quiet, peaceful and relaxing
5. It's not the Canaries

I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/January/2017 at 22:46
Originally posted by DICEYUK DICEYUK wrote:

Autumn, Winter and Spring is the best time of the year as far as we're concerned and we usually spend about 4 months there from October to April.
The main reasons are -

1. The weather is generally good, much better than the UK
2. Most places are only shut for a month or two and more than enough stay open all the time
3. There are plenty of things to do & places to go - golf, walking, bird watching, cycling, tours, excursions. In fact there's not a lot that you can do in the Summer that you can't do in the Winter.
4. There are not so many holiday makers about so it's quiet, peaceful and relaxing
5. It's not the Canaries

All of those activities you can do in other countries,and with better weather.

Most places have better weather than the UK,so that's no claim to fame.

Most other tourist resorts have their quieter periods

I used the canaries as an example,and as much as i like the Algarve,it isn't the only place in the world,and there is far better.

You must be mad to want to stay there for 4 months.Mind you,listing golf as an activity shows you must be a coffin dodger with too much time on your hands   
Algarveaddick View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/January/2017 at 12:54
Don't come then Paul, enjoy the Canaries. You asked, Dicey gave you his reasons, no need to come back at him and have a pop.    
Go away Duchatalet

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/January/2017 at 13:08
Originally posted by Algarveaddick Algarveaddick wrote:

Don't come then Paul, enjoy the Canaries. You asked, Dicey gave you his reasons, no need to come back at him and have a pop.    

When did I say I go to the canaries? I already said it was an example.

And I have not had a pop at him at all,I simply replied to what he said and made a bit of a joke at the end,hence the

Algarveaddick View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/January/2017 at 13:25
You did mention somewhere with sunnier weather that cost the same to get to Paul. That pretty much narrows it down to the Canaries doesn't it?  The med will have similar weather to here, and southern hemisphere destinations cost a whole load more.
Go away Duchatalet

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/January/2017 at 14:18
Originally posted by Algarveaddick Algarveaddick wrote:

You did mention somewhere with sunnier weather that cost the same to get to Paul. That pretty much narrows it down to the Canaries doesn't it?  The med will have similar weather to here, and southern hemisphere destinations cost a whole load more.

Forget I mentioned the canaries.Like I said it was an example and I only mentioned the price because it's roughly the same sort of price to fly to as the Algarve.I wasn't actually saying any other destination had to be the same or cheaper to fly to.

Again I will point out that I wasn't having a pop in my come back reply about to why Dicey chooses to go to the Algarve for the winter months,i was simple making the point that all the things that were said can be done elsewhere and saying the Algarve isn't another destination (Canaries) isn't really much of a reason.Everywhere else in the world isn't the Algarve,but that doesn't make them bad destinations.Now if it were said that it was because of the price of accommodation or the fact that Portugal is a low terrorist threat or maybe that he had vistited lots of other destinations and felt they weren't that great then I could understand that more.

To be honest my original question was more aimed at people who visit for a weeks holiday,rather than part time ex pats who have probably traveled the world and maybe have fallen in love with the Algarve,or maybe they don't like temperatures that are too hot.

Personally I wouldn't travel to the Algarve after October or before May,this is due to the weather as I like it to be in the 20's,also everywhere is open at those times of the year and because I only visit for a max of 2 weeks I like to make the most of it by going to places that would be shut in the winter months such as the water parks,Zoomarine,old town,the strip.

Anyway my post was not created to pee anyone off so I apologise if you feel I have done that as that was not my intention.It was simple to create a pros and cons discussion of winter breaks in different destinations.
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/January/2017 at 14:58

Now if it were said that it was because of the price of accommodation or the fact that Portugal is a low terrorist threat or maybe that he had vistited lots of other destinations and felt they weren't that great then I could understand that more.

Nope, none of those reasons. However, we do own an apartment in The Algarve and we don't have one anywhere else so that sort of influences our decision.
However, the reason for buying there was because of all the reasons I stated earlier.
We could have bought one somewhere else but in our opinion The Algarve, and Albufeira, is the best place.

What I also find interesting is that, despite the fact that you would never go between October & May you seem to know an awful lot about what it's like during that time, and most of what you say is inaccurate - e.g. it actually is very often "in the 20's and the Old Town & Strip are definitely not shut"
0856kit View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/January/2017 at 15:16
Unfortunately, we fly back the day before the carnival starts!
0856kit View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/January/2017 at 15:17
Its a work trip Paul, didnt have much choice in the date or location!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/January/2017 at 15:30
Originally posted by DICEYUK DICEYUK wrote:

Now if it were said that it was because of the price of accommodation or the fact that Portugal is a low terrorist threat or maybe that he had vistited lots of other destinations and felt they weren't that great then I could understand that more.

Nope, none of those reasons. However, we do own an apartment in The Algarve and we don't have one anywhere else so that sort of influences our decision.
However, the reason for buying there was because of all the reasons I stated earlier.
We could have bought one somewhere else but in our opinion The Algarve, and Albufeira, is the best place.

What I also find interesting is that, despite the fact that you would never go between October & May you seem to know an awful lot about what it's like during that time, and most of what you say is inaccurate - e.g. it actually is very often "in the 20's and the Old Town & Strip are definitely not shut"

I also haven't been to the North Pole,but I know it's cold.

Well a good thing about the internet is that you can find out information about a place without actually having to be there.

Now if my information is wrong then you'd better have a word with Cubsur who replied to people when asked the question of what is open/closed in the winter months and he explained that most places are shut in said areas,the strip web cam (when working) confirms this to an extent.

Also I would direct you to Zoomarine that I mentioned is currently closed as is the water parks.

And whilst yes the temperatures can get into the 20's earlier than May,it's more likely that you will have better temperatures in May than you would in January.Again you only have to look at Cusbar's weather to see that today will not hit 20

So by using a combination of opening times on web sites,online weather forecasts and information posted by people who live in the area,I think it's fair to say I get a good feel for what it's like,without having to actually be there in person.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic