Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Living in Albufeira / Viver em Albufeira » Algarve Foreign Residents / Residentes Estrangeiros
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Toll help please

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Super Bock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Toll help please
    Posted: 24/July/2021 at 09:58
Hi All
I drove over 2 weeks ago and since then have been trying to pay my toll! For some reason every site I go on says that there is either no toll charges for my registration number or wont give me anything as it is not a Portuguese car.
Any ideas how I can pay this rather than just wait for the fine?!
Sponsored Links

AJSUGGY View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AJSUGGY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/July/2021 at 15:33
I have the electronic sensor in my car so I am am automatically deducted from my bank account. Due to us leaving the EU can they not now chase you or fine you for not paying the toll charge. In future I would get the, BIP and Drive PORTUGAL & SPAIN, it only costs 6 euro's a year and you can use the auto toll booths instead of queuing.
swagsale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swagsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/July/2021 at 19:37
Originally posted by Super Bock Super Bock wrote:

Hi All
I drove over 2 weeks ago and since then have been trying to pay my toll! For some reason every site I go on says that there is either no toll charges for my registration number or wont give me anything as it is not a Portuguese car.
Any ideas how I can pay this rather than just wait for the fine?!
\

I have used the A22 for years and never paid a penny toll. I do not have transponder. I would not worry about it as far as I am aware UK number plates are not recognised. I drive through the green arrow on other toll roads as well.
Some Brits abroad will tell you different.
Spanish ones yes I have had a speeding fine in Spain but never had anything in Portugal.
Richardk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/July/2021 at 08:35
  Swagsale - Well as someone that pays their tolls iI hope you get caught and get heavily fined
swagsale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swagsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/July/2021 at 09:38
Originally posted by Richardk Richardk wrote:

Swagsale - Well as someone that pays their tolls iI hope you get caught and get heavily fined

As stated some Brits abroad.
Will need to be a big fine to put me out of pocket for not paying tolls on a road built by EU funding that Portugal pays diddly squat to.And into the bargain robs other European people out of vast sums of money to matriculate a vehicle.
Have a good day sir Smile.
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/July/2021 at 09:54
If the system says there are no tolls to pay how could you pay?

This is not unsual for a non-Portuguese vehicle but in the past I recall people getting fines posted to them two or three years later.

If you don't pay, men with baseball bats will be at your door at 4am.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
AJSUGGY View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJSUGGY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/July/2021 at 11:33
Swagale may think he is above the law of any country. That's up to him, but don't encourage other people do do the same. I hope he also realizes that the Portuguese toll booths also clock your Number plate and work out your average speed. For that stretch if you are over the limit you can get a speeding fine.    
tiganut View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tiganut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/July/2021 at 12:49
We paid for it once,through the EU.Even the Spanish refuse to pay any more.

He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins
Teresa View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teresa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/July/2021 at 14:04
Not sure if this is of any help but I paid at the post office 3 or 4 years ago.  However, car had Portuguese plates (rental).    Don't know if you're still there but, if I remember correctly, post office was on/near oura strip

AJSUGGY - thanks for the info re BIP and Drive PORTUGAL & SPAIN.  :)
swagsale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swagsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/July/2021 at 09:11
Originally posted by AJSUGGY AJSUGGY wrote:

Swagale may think he is above the law of any country. That's up to him, but don't encourage other people do do the same. I hope he also realizes that the Portuguese toll booths also clock your Number plate and work out your average speed. For that stretch if you are over the limit you can get a speeding fine.    

Absolute rubbish.
All myth and folklore. If Portuguese toll booths clocked your number plate and work out your average speed I would owe thousands.Mind that is the first time I have heard the average speed myth.
On the toll roads coming down from Spain or France when I enter Portugal I am never below 100mph.
As I said driving in Spain different matter but a Google check tells you where the static speed cameras are.
Why do people come up with this bull***t about clocking registration plates yet nobody ever produces any evidence??
swagsale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swagsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/July/2021 at 09:20
Originally posted by cubsur cubsur wrote:

If the system says there are no tolls to pay how could you pay?

Precisely Cubsur I would maybe take a screenshot of the pages saying nothing due for good measure.
swagsale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swagsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/July/2021 at 09:28
Originally posted by cubsur cubsur wrote:

If you don't pay, men with baseball bats will be at your door at 4am.

Cubsur that is why I made the shrewd decision to put everything in my partners name years ago in case Interpol come knocking.
She said if memory serves her right she does not mind a man with something hard in his hand at four in the morning. She did say her memory is a bit hazy mind..Big smile.
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/July/2021 at 09:39
The whole issue of the toll system and non Portuguese registrations has been debated since the electronic tolls were introduced. As with many things here, it was not properly thought through. The various patches later introduced did nothing much to make it simpler.

The various options of registration and payment for non Portuguese vehicles are explained at https://www.portugaltolls.com/en/web/portal-de-portagens/home

Some options are only practicable if you have a € bank card. Using a £ card could add quite a bit to your bill once the banks have added their charges for daring to purchase something in €.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
Richardk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/July/2021 at 09:52
British exceptionalism at its best -  some think they are special and the law doesn't apply to them and hide behind others. Swagsdale I hope you and your merry men get the karma you deserve. It might not be ideal but it is the law of the land which you have chosen to visit. It is not a tick box yes/no of the laws you will and will not obey
swagsale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swagsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/July/2021 at 11:55
Originally posted by Richardk Richardk wrote:

British exceptionalism at its best -  some think they are special and the law doesn't apply to them and hide behind others. Swagsdale I hope you and your merry men get the karma you deserve. It might not be ideal but it is the law of the land which you have chosen to visit. It is not a tick box yes/no of the laws you will and will not obey

Richard you really have to shake off the "Brit abroad"syndrome.
You are getting mugged deal with it. As  stated earlier Portugal mugs the rest of Europe daily.
Just because you have fallen for it and others have not. That`s life.
As for hides behind others. Really?
I thought I was making my opinion on a public forum.
Have a lovely day and do not forget to apply your sun protection Cool.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic