Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Local Transportation / Transportes Locais
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedtaxi price & tip - rounding up?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Regular
Regular

Direct Link To This Post Topic: taxi price & tip - rounding up?
    Posted: 01/July/2016 at 13:44
I got a taxi from rank outside Modelo to my apartment yesterday afternoon at around 2pm. The fare was 3.25 plus the .80 cent for our two shopping bags (one each for my hubby and myself, one large and one small bag), which we brought into the car with us, (ie. the driver didn't have to put them into the boot of the car). When we got to our destination the driver told us that the cost was E4.05. I handed him E10 and he handed me back E5.
I always give a tip of 10%, but surely it should have been my choice to give the tip rather than him deciding that he was going to take 20%??
This is the first time that I have experienced this practice in my 17 years visiting. Is this something new that is happening this year? I had taken a taxi from the same place to the same destination (with 2 bags in the car also) on Monday and the cost was E3.25. On that occasion I gave the driver E5 and told him to keep the change - my choice, not his😊.
Sponsored Links

Super Bock View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/July/2016 at 22:25
We used Uber last week it was great! Normal taxi fare 5 euros actually ca,e through on credit card as £1.76 plus we gave him 2 euro tip!
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/July/2016 at 10:27
Quite right bebop. On the very rare occasions I take a taxi I try to make sure I have enough coins to round up to the next Euro. But why do taxi drivers expect a tip? You don't tip a bus driver.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
Jock View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/July/2016 at 11:05
I suppose in a way I do occasionally tip bus drivers over there.  Mostly I have €1.40 ready but if I don't I often tell the driver to keep the change. Busses at home demand the correct cash and don't give change.
Biggunspaul View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/July/2016 at 12:16
clearly this year in Albufeira tipping is the new way to screw holiday makers.The other night I was expected to tip for a take away curry,WTF is that about.

One person I did tip was the special assistance guy who helped my mother out to car park 4 ot faro airport,he was really helpful and he didn't expect anything in return,so I decided to run after him when he was walking away and gave him €5.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic