Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Beaches / As Praias
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SALGADOS DUNES AND LAGOON

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5,00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
steven.vanessa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steven.vanessa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/November/2016 at 13:41
Great pics, love this area.
Andrew View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/June/2017 at 15:42
Well, the lagoon has well and truly been breached.
Quite surprising given how calm the sea currently is but as you can see in the pic below, the salt water is making it's way in.
If you look at the water colour you can see the dividing line between the salt and fresh water, looking the other direction from the bridge you can see it already mixing.
The ducks were interesting, they were up and down the dividing line but always stayed freshwater side.

Andrew
Big Col View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Col Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/June/2017 at 16:17
That's interesting, it was nowhere near breaching in the several visits we had the other week. Has there been any particularly high tides?
Colin
Andrew View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/June/2017 at 22:19
No Col, that's why I said "quite surprising", we've seen, over the years some big storms, and they have failed or just about made a breach, but this is nothing like we've seen before. A very clear, very wide free flowing opening.
As the tide came in, and as gentle as ever seen, the lagoon recieved salt water, as the tide went out the lagoon, freshwater with the new salt water mix, went out.
Pity the wildlife that's going to get done by that. The ducks had it sorted but the fish, turtles and every other living thing that survives only one or the other isn't going to be welcoming this.
No sign of any action from any authority to shore up or sort, maybe they've decided to let nature do what nature does.
Andrew
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/June/2017 at 10:29
I was there myself yesterday afternoon. Suffered as a result, it was hotter than I realised after I had been puffing around on my bike for 3 hours.

The seaward side was almost dry except for that bit. All the birds and a lot of big fish were down the other end.

My pictures later.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/June/2017 at 11:01
A few from Salgados yesterday afternoon.

Albufeira Resident

Andrew View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/August/2017 at 15:58
The bank that had been breached is now reinstated, we are back to two bodies of water again, a lake and the sea....

Andrew
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/December/2017 at 18:27
Ages since  I have been there. One from this afternoon, a few more later.

Albufeira Resident

cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/December/2017 at 13:26
Albufeira Resident

cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/May/2018 at 17:05
Salgados 18 May, not quite open to the sea.  Didn't have time to go around the rest but will do so soon

Albufeira Resident

cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/July/2019 at 14:55
The lagoon is well filled despite the lack of rain. The tidal flow system is obviously working. Near the bridge the water still has a very green tinge. Pictures taken 4th July 2019. The first two show how dry it is around the edges.

The sand bar is holding up nicely. Sea water was entering through the pipes at quite a speed.

Albufeira Resident

cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/April/2020 at 08:59
Ages since I have been down to Salgados so yesterday I pumped up the tyres and set off. The lagoon is fairly shallow at the moment, despite the recent rain. That usually means it is or has been open to the sea. The flamingoes and other waders didn't seem to mind. I encountered several walkers and a couple of cyclists. Access to the car parks is blocked and the boardwalk is also closed.

Albufeira Resident

lucyr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/April/2020 at 10:47
it looks just perfect 
my beautiful portugal
port princess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote port princess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/May/2020 at 11:59
Yes absolutely Lucy I'm so missing them blue sky's hopefully soon
Thanks Tom
Portprincess
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/October/2020 at 15:51
Months since I have been to Salgados so off I was today on the trusty bicycle. The storms a couple of weeks ago caused the sand bar to be breached. It still is. The central section of the lagoon is almost dry, with just a trickle of water passing through. The birds though have plenty of water at the western end.  Although there is evidence of recent flooding, most of the land around is parched and dry once again. The weatherr was nice and warm, around 24º and there were a good few people on the beach taking a walk or just enjoying the autumn sun.

Albufeira Resident

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
  Share Topic