Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Algarve
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rental property questions (by a Canadian)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teresa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rental property questions (by a Canadian)
    Posted: 14/January/2021 at 17:29
Hi Everyone,

I periodically scroll through the posts here and they're so great!  (I've posted once or twice with questions too.) What a valuable site!  Thank you, in advance, for the time all the members take in answering questions and just the general chitchat!

My mother owns an apt in Albufeira.  Currently, it's used only as a vacation home but, as my mother ages and, given the current COVID restrictions, I see the apartment being used less and less.

I'd like to explore the possibility of using it as a rental property.  I realize that there likely is no demand now but looking at the possibility for the future.

I'm thinking the best thing to do will be to use a rental agency.  I will come here for recommendations but, at this point, I can wait on that...  So, aside from the services that a rental agency would deal with (clients, cleaning, etc.), I'd love to hear any advice.  If there are any Canadians here, I'd love to hear on issues specific to a Canadian owning rental property in Portugal. 

The apartment is just north of Oura strip, still within walking distance to the beach.

At this point, I'm not even sure what to ask but some questions are:

What is happening in that area?  I believe there is some development but has it been put on hold due to Covid?  What are you opinions as to the future prospects for that area of Albufeira?

Does anyone else here have rental properties?  Do you find it easy to rent (aside from Covid times)?  Do you generate a profit or do you find it more just covers all your costs and provides you with a 'free/ vacation home?

Do you use a rental agency to find clients or a rental site like AirBnb?  Or both?  Who do you normally rent to?  Families?  Singles?  Seniors?  

Do you have much luck renting the winter or is it pretty much just seasonal?

Any other info/advice would be appreciated...  

So looking forward to my next trip there!  Am really missing it!  
Sponsored Links

cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/January/2021 at 08:58
"What is happening in that area?  I believe there is some development but has it been put on hold due to Covid?  What are you opinions as to the future prospects for that area of Albufeira?"

There is development likely almost anywhere in town. You will need to exercise 'due dilgence' in respect of engaging a local lawyer to investigate, but just because there are no permissions extant does not mean that in five or ten years someone won't slap in a planning application for yet another block of luxury tourist apartments right next door.

Rentals for tourists are ten a penny here, it's a very competitive market. In previous winters long stay visitors, including many from Canada, have been the mainstay of tourist rentals. They often bargain for a deal to cover 10 or 12 weeks stay. You obviously won't get summer rates, but will at least cover costs and maybe make a small profit.

The rules concerning tourist rentals are many and often difficult to comprehend. There are many things that must be done to the average apartment before it can pass the various inspections prior to being awarded a licence.

Most of the paperwork is only in Portuguese. It would be essential to employ a local agent to deal with that if your command of the language is not good enough.

I know that other regulars here have tourist apartments they rent out. You should reeceive some first hand advice on the pitfalls!
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
Teresa View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Teresa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/January/2021 at 20:48
Thanks cubsur.  Appreciate the info.  

Unfortunately, I speak limited Portuguese but would be lost beyond basic conversation.  My concern is as you mentioned - many and difficult rules, etc.  I wonder if it's worth the effort to rent??  Our apt is not in a resort (it is above stores), so I fear even more difficult to rent without pool/gym amenities.  Would certainly still like to hear experiences from others who have rental properties.

Our property is on the same street as Oura strip but it is north of the main east/west road (the road with the worm roundabout).  Years ago, I recall that portion of the street being full of restaurants, shops, etc., certainly not as busy as south of that east/west road but quite busy nonetheless.  However, over the last few years, I've seen that area become emptier and emptier.  Lots of closed up shops and restaurants.  I know they have redeveloped the hotel at the top of the street (shame it was allowed to be an all-inclusive!) but, sadly, I haven't seen the street recover by much.

I haven't been there in a couple of years; hoping a visit in 2021 will be possible.  In the meantime, I console myself with the webcams!  LOL

I'll keep an eye out for any more replies to this thread...  again, appreciate the input from members.

cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/January/2021 at 08:59
A friend has two apartments he rents out for tourists in the old town area and neither has parking, a pool, gym or anything like that. One is up a flight of 46 steps with no elevator.

Many people are quite happy just to have somewhere to sleep, eat and maybe have a drink or two on a balcony in the evening.

Until the current situation business was good, with the 2 bedroom apartment easily renting for €1800 a week in summer and almost every day sold. The other 1 bedroom apartment only came on the market 10 months ago and thus little business, but fortunately he secured a long term rental from last August until the end of January, so covering costs etc.

There have been rumbles for some months about a comprehensive redevelopment of the top end of the 'strip' between the main road and the hotel, including that large empty space, but nothing has yet come to pass. I cannot see anything happening for a long while and for sure parts will be looking rather forlorn.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
pyrman View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pyrman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/January/2021 at 13:39
Teresa ... have a look at the many facebook sites for Albufeira such as

there is a major plan to upgrade the whole Montochoro area ... 

... also at the Camara site where there was an item on the wee parque ..

and Trip Advisor handles around 2500 rentals .. you can set dates and numbers to find what people are asking all year ..
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/VacationRentals-g189112-Reviews-Albufeira_Faro_District_Algarve-Vacation_Rentals.html
Pyrman
Teresa View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teresa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/January/2021 at 20:35
Thanks for all the links pyrman!  Have looked through them all; appreciate all the info!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic