Print Page | Close Window

Some general questions Albufeira/Algarve

Printed From: Albufeira.com
Category: Tourism / Turismo
Forum Name: Algarve
Forum Description: Questions related to the Region... / Questões sobre o Algarve
URL: https://albufeira.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9991
Printed Date: 28/March/2024 at 12:13
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 10.15 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Some general questions Albufeira/Algarve
Posted By: jameswhufc
Subject: Some general questions Albufeira/Algarve
Date Posted: 01/February/2018 at 15:22
Have been to Albufeira more than a dozen times usually in April / October.

However i will be in Madrid in August and am planning to drive down to the Algarve as i havent been for a few years so would like to catch up with old friends and visit the seaside.

So for the first time we will have a car so i can explore further afield, so my first question is any really nice beach recommendations driveable from Albufeira?

Haven't booked anywhere to stay yet so open to staying in different locations, i guess i'll just see whats available on Air BNB.

Also any good historical landmarks to visit around there? My girlfriend likes them kind of things (We are going to Granada in April to view the sites there).

Open to any suggestions really on things that can be done with a car that are worth doing once maybe - we will probably stay for 3/4 nights.

-------------
West Ham United season ticket holder.

Replies:
Posted By: Big Col
Date Posted: 01/February/2018 at 16:02
Firstly I don't know where you have been before nor what your likes and dislikes are when it comes to beaches. You are spoilt for choice really.

Our personal favourites by car range from Falesia and those off the Ria Formosa national park to the East. Gale/Saldagos, Senhora da Rocha and beyond to the West.

For a full day excursion we love the surfing beaches on the West coast from Carrapateira through Bordeira towards Arrifana and Aljezur.

I'm sure others will also have their favourites too.

-------------
Colin

Posted By: cubsur
Date Posted: 02/February/2018 at 10:16
"---any really nice beach recommendations driveable from Albufeira?"

Masses, but you will be here at the most expensive time of year. Anything below top price will almost certainly have been booked long ago. Driveable? How far?? 10 minutes from Albufeira centre could be 6 miles away. And i am sure you understand that parking in town during August is well nigh impossible.

"Also any good historical landmarks to visit around there?"

A few, like Silves Castle and Cathedral, Faro old city inside the walls and its Cathedral. Lagos town, Cerro da Vila Roman site near Vilamoura marina, another Roman era site and museum at Estoi, north of Faro then there's the two castles at Castro Marim across the river from Spain, the fortress at Sagres and its museum to Henry the Navigator etc etc.

-------------
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve

Date Posted: 02/February/2018 at 11:07
With regards to the beach just wanted somewhere with just pure sand (rather than the sand at the old town with the shells etc) - just really something different. Yes im sure parking will be a nightmare but don't mind driving (i mean driving from Madrid is going to take 6 hours, although we plan to stop somewhere for the night on the way down). I'll have a search for those you mentioned Col.

Thanks cubsur for those. I'll have a look at them.

-------------

Date Posted: 02/February/2018 at 13:20
For 'pure' sand. Try the Fálesia area to the east. That beach wasn't rebuilt like those in town. I know there are airbnb rentals available over there as a friend of mine was doing a price comparison exercise for one he is renting out. (No joy for you, as it is in the town centre with no parking.)

There's also Galé and Salgados beaches to the west of town, but parking there is hideous in summer with all manner of crooks demanding money to 'guard' your car and others breaking into them anyway.

-------------
Albufeira Resident

Posted By: Andrew
Date Posted: 02/February/2018 at 14:08
“There's also Galé and Salgados beaches to the west of town, but parking there is hideous in summer with all manner of crooks demanding money to 'guard' your car and others breaking into them anyway.”

Mmm, have to beg to differ, Salgados and Gale beaches are fantastic, pure sand, loads of parking in several locations and in ten years, with I’d say an average 20 to 30 visits to those beaches each year, we have never once been asked for money or seen a vehicle that has been broken into.

Superb beaches, highly recommended.

Places to visit? Put Alte and Monchique on your list.

-------------
Andrew

Posted By: tonisdad
Date Posted: 02/February/2018 at 16:57
Originally posted by jameswhufc jameswhufc wrote:

However i will be in Madrid in August and am planning to drive down to the Algarve as i havent been for a few years so would like to catch up with old friends and visit the seaside.
Open to any suggestions really on things that can be done with a car that are worth doing once maybe - we will probably stay for 3/4 nights.

Hello James long time since you have popped up.
First of all congratulations to West Ham for managing to get £6.5 million off us for that Ashley Fletcher...you lot must be laughing your heads off Clap.
If I was you James I would stay in Madrid in August and enjoy it there. Albuferia is completely different in August to the time of year you are used to.
The roads are bedlam people seeing who can make the most dangerous moves especially on roundabouts.
You can`t get sat in bars for Portuguese/Spanish sat there all day or night nursing a bottle of water or cup of coffee...or nothing.
Take into account your cost of getting to Madrid and back petrol/tolls. Extortionate hotel prices and you would most likely be no worse off having a quick jaunt over from UK in September/October when it has eased off a bit and enjoying your August in Madrid.

Posted By: DICEYUK
Date Posted: 02/February/2018 at 17:39
Originally posted by cubsur cubsur wrote:

For 'pure' sand. Try the Fálesia area to the east. That beach wasn't rebuilt like those in town. I know there are airbnb rentals available over there as a friend of mine was doing a price comparison exercise for one he is renting out

I beg to differ too. Falesia was rebuilt last year (as I reported on here - http://albufeira.com/forum/albufeiras-beaches-today_topic2711_post102226.html#102226" rel="nofollow - http://albufeira.com/forum/albufeiras-beaches-today_topic2711_post102226.html#102226 ) from Golfinhos to a good way past Pine cliffs plus further along near Alfamar. Some areas are shell free but others are not. Even so,  you don't have to walk very far to find a nice stretch of fine sand.

Regards AirB&B, there are 2 apartments (a 1 bed and a 2 bed, both of which are very nice) in our block in Acoteias that do that and several others in the adjoining 3 blocks that make up the area known collectively as Pinhal do Concelho.
In addition there are around 40 to 50 other rentals on AirB&B in or around Acoteias/Falesia

http://www.airbnb.co.uk/s/Acoteias-Apartment--Albufeira--Portugal/homes?place_id=ChIJA6wmGinKGg0RpUZBILSMzoc&refinement_paths%5B%5D=%2Fhomes&allow_override%5B%5D=&s_tag=rHS82AG5" rel="nofollow - https://www.airbnb.co.uk/s/Acoteias-Apartment--Albufeira--Portugal/homes?place_id=ChIJA6wmGinKGg0RpUZBILSMzoc&refinement_paths%5B%5D=%2Fhomes&allow_override%5B%5D=&s_tag=rHS82AG5

-------------
I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.

Date Posted: 03/February/2018 at 15:19
Thanks everyone for the comments.

Originally posted by tonisdad tonisdad wrote:

First of all congratulations to West Ham for managing to get £6.5 million off us for that Ashley Fletcher...you lot must be laughing your heads off Clap.
If I was you James I would stay in Madrid in August and enjoy it there. Albuferia is completely different in August to the time of year you are used to.
The roads are bedlam people seeing who can make the most dangerous moves especially on roundabouts.
You can`t get sat in bars for Portuguese/Spanish sat there all day or night nursing a bottle of water or cup of coffee...or nothing.
Take into account your cost of getting to Madrid and back petrol/tolls. Extortionate hotel prices and you would most likely be no worse off having a quick jaunt over from UK in September/October when it has eased off a bit and enjoying your August in Madrid.

I still lurk around here but i guess my lack of visits to Albufeira recently means i have less to contribute here. 
Yes i am utterly amazed we got that money for Fletcher, i had completely forgotten about him and have just seen he's gone Sunderland on loan.

My girlfriends parents live in Madrid which is the reason i will be there in the Summer - i am there for 16 days. We like to use it as an opportunity to go to the beach for a few days - last year we visited Valencia - any beach we drive to is a minimum 4 hours.

Perhaps we could look into going somewhere else entirely or I am not sure if its worth staying somewhere close but perhaps we could go to Albufeira for the day - i mainly just wanted to visit to come see a few people i have made friends with there.

All my holiday days are fully used this year otherwise i would look to fly out of season (also my girlfriend works in a school so we can only do school holidays).

-------------

Date Posted: 03/February/2018 at 17:50
James I think we loaned Fletcher to Sunderland in the hope he would help get them relegated LOL.
Maybe you might pick something up last minute in Albuferia or local.
We still bump into Nico who used to have the bar you drank in. He is working at Tres Coronas...Three Crowns...down the Old Town.

Date Posted: 04/February/2018 at 08:10
My mistake about Falesia then , I didn't notice many shells at all.

-------------
Albufeira Resident

Date Posted: 05/February/2018 at 09:34
Yes Nico is one of the first person's i would go an see. It's an added bonus that Tres Coroas is a great restaurant to eat in too.

-------------

Posted By: Algarveaddick
Date Posted: 07/February/2018 at 14:53

Can't argue with that. Add the left turn lights half way up the hill to the dolphin roundabout, where idiots who have noticed the turn too late and just stop in the middle lane when the straight on light is already green... 

-------------
Go away Duchatalet

Posted By: Linda
Date Posted: 07/February/2018 at 21:52
Places we have liked and would recommend: 
As already been mentioned, Falesia beach - stunning cliffs lovely stretch of beach.  

Carrapateira, Bordeira - beautiful and sandy beaches. 

Lagos. Stunning rocks. 
http://www.lagosportugalguide.com/lagos-algarve/ponta-da-piedade-lagos.html 
Some history in Lagos too. 

Yes, Alte -  as someone has said- is worth a visit, a lovely little place. 

Posted By: lizrod
Date Posted: 10/February/2018 at 12:01
Nico is opening a new bar this month at olhos de agua

Posted By: Vino
Date Posted: 10/February/2018 at 15:24
Do you know the name of the bar Nico is opening please?

Date Posted: 10/February/2018 at 19:23
Originally posted by lizrod lizrod wrote:

Nico is opening a new bar this month at olhos de agua

Yes hope it works well for them....Nico & Maria deserve a business that rewards them for the hard work they do they are a very hard working couple.

Posted By: jnhennessy
Date Posted: 11/February/2018 at 13:05
Sorry for hijacking this thread but I would also like to know where Nico's new bar is as we always say hello to him when in Albufeira and he deserves success with his new venture.

Date Posted: 11/February/2018 at 15:45
Originally posted by jnhennessy jnhennessy wrote:

Sorry for hijacking this thread but I would also like to know where Nico's new bar is as we always say hello to him when in Albufeira and he deserves success with his new venture.

& Vino.
 it is on the main drag through Olhos. I think it is/was called Nelsons. Heading from Albuferia direction the place is on your left about 200/300 metres past Intermarche.
They are hoping to be open in 3 or 4 days time......That is Portuguese timing so......Wink.....will let you know.

Posted By: Cooknoe
Date Posted: 11/February/2018 at 16:26
That is news indeed. I didn’t know Nelson’s was closing. We always enjoyed it there as the food was decent, plentiful, and Nelson and his staff were always lovely and friendly. Anyone know if they have moved elsewhere in Olhos?
From the comments on here, at least it sounds like the place has passed into good hands, so will definitely give it a go.
The restaurant is on the main road on the left, just before you turn right to go to the beach. It is next door to Tavertinos.

Posted By: jnhennessy
Date Posted: 11/February/2018 at 16:41

Originally posted by jnhennessy jnhennessy wrote:

& Vino.
 it is on the main drag through Olhos. I think it is/was called Nelsons. Heading from Albuferia direction the place is on your left about 200/300 metres past Intermarche.
They are hoping to be open in 3 or 4 days time......That is Portuguese timing so......Wink.....will let you know.

Thanks Tonisdad

Will be over in May so we'll give him a shout.

Posted By: Vino
Date Posted: 12/February/2018 at 16:00
Thank you....will try and have a ride over at the weekend

Date Posted: 13/February/2018 at 09:57
When i was last in Albufeira 2 years ago he was still talking about having another bar again so great to hear they are opening a bar. It was great when he got Pasadena's - used to go there every day.

-------------

Date Posted: 08/March/2018 at 10:59
Am all booked up for the 21st August for a few days stopping off at Merida the night before. Managed to get a nice looking apartment overlooking the sea near the old town.

Will be interesting to see how busy it is at peak time since i am so used to coming in April/October.

If anyone is around then, feel free to get the beers in Wink

-------------

Date Posted: 08/March/2018 at 11:05
If you can afford to come in August, we'll let you get the beers in James... Wink

There will be a quiz at Arte Bar on the 23rd so come and say hello!

August will be totally manic, packed to the rafters. We would never be here then if we had a choice.    

-------------
Go away Duchatalet

Date Posted: 08/March/2018 at 11:39
Ha!

I am not much of a quiz expert but I'll come and give it a try. Is that the place that does the BBQ on a Sunday i think it is? I have never made it there but always wanted to come give it a go.

Yes i am sure this will be my first and last summer visit there. I much prefer the quieter time without the hustle and bustle.

-------------

Date Posted: 08/March/2018 at 12:11
Yes that's the place James - come on Thursday and book for Sunday... 

-------------
Go away Duchatalet

Date Posted: 08/March/2018 at 18:07
Am only there till Friday so i'll have to visit another time.

Also whats the preference is it to come down from the north of Portugal, or to drive across from Seville?

-------------

Posted By: Richardk
Date Posted: 09/March/2018 at 10:22

Also whats the preference is it to come down from the north of Portugal, or to drive across from Seville?
Seville definitely - cheaper fuel no tolls till you get to Portugal & empty motorways

Date Posted: 11/March/2018 at 12:39
Originally posted by Richardk Richardk wrote:

Seville definitely - cheaper fuel no tolls till you get to Portugal & empty motorways

james don`t leave yourself needing petrol in Portugal it is up to 20 cents litre cheaper in Spain.

Date Posted: 11/March/2018 at 13:05

Originally posted by Richardk Richardk wrote:

james don`t leave yourself needing petrol in Portugal it is up to 20 cents litre cheaper in Spain.

Good tip, Paul. James, there's a filling station about 2km from the border in Spain. 

-------------
Go away Duchatalet

Posted By: lizrod
Date Posted: 11/March/2018 at 15:53
Nico is now open 

Date Posted: 24/July/2018 at 13:34
We have extended 2 days now and staying till the Sunday rather than Friday now.

We are still round back of the old town near blue bell bar / Merlins Bar / Vila Recife hotel.

Are there any pools around there we can use? Don't mind using the beach but didn't know if there was anywhere we could use?

I may once of twice used the Oura Praia pool when i've been there but unlike previous times im not staying in Santa Eulalia area.

P.s thanks for the petrol tips, we will fill up just before we enter Portugal then and come in from Seville.

-------------

Date Posted: 25/July/2018 at 11:13
This isn't far James: https://www.facebook.com/poolonahill/

-------------
Go away Duchatalet

Date Posted: 25/July/2018 at 14:25
Thanks that's good to know, looks about a 10 minute walk.

-------------

Date Posted: 25/July/2018 at 16:54
Originally posted by Algarveaddick Algarveaddick wrote:

This isn't far James: https://www.facebook.com/poolonahill/

AA is that a hotel or a place you just go in to. I had a quick look on their facebook and it said they did barbies etc.

Date Posted: 26/July/2018 at 18:24
Yes it is a place you just go into, there may be a daily charge. I am not sure? If you message them I am sure Hannah will respond.

-------------
Go away Duchatalet

Date Posted: 26/July/2018 at 19:32
Originally posted by Algarveaddick Algarveaddick wrote:

Yes it is a place you just go into, there may be a daily charge. I am not sure? If you message them I am sure Hannah will respond.
Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 19/August/2018 at 20:10
Anyone got a rough idea of cost for tolls we would end up paying driving in from Seville to albufeira?

I know there is a toll road from airport to albufeira that can be avoided.

Just wondering how much credit to get on a roll card as from what i understand we can purchase one using credit card and get what's left refunded.

We would probably have a trip to sagres and back one day.

Would 20 euros cover us? Or should I just do the 40 euros and claim back the remaining once back in Madrid?

-------------

Date Posted: 20/August/2018 at 08:35
" Anyone got a rough idea of cost for tolls we would end up paying driving in from Seville to albufeira?

The toll calculator tells me that it is €5,30 from the International Bridge to the A2 / A22 junction north of Albufeira and from there to the western end of the A22 at Bensafrim €3,55

You can play with the calculator at http://www.portugaltolls.com/en/web/portal-de-portagens/home" rel="nofollow - http://www.portugaltolls.com/en/web/portal-de-portagens/home

-------------
Albufeira Resident

Posted By: peteknopp
Date Posted: 20/August/2018 at 08:44
No tolls on main road from seville to the border

-------------

Date Posted: 20/August/2018 at 14:23
Ok thanks was more any tolls I may hit in Portugal along he coast. I guess they are all avoidable.

I guess I'll fill up with petrol just before we enter Portugal and pick up a card incase we do use a toll road.

We are in Mérida this evening as stopped half way. Will try and make Artes bar for the quiz Thursday if anyone wants to say hi. Also pete maybe catch you in the cottage one day

-------------

Date Posted: 20/August/2018 at 19:22

Ok thanks was more any tolls I may hit in Portugal along he coast. I guess they are all avoidable.

I guess I'll fill up with petrol just before we enter Portugal and pick up a card incase we do use a toll road.

We are in Mérida this evening as stopped half way. Will try and make Artes bar for the quiz Thursday if anyone wants to say hi. Also pete maybe catch you in the cottage one day

Can`t remember where the first toll gantry is but you would need to take the turn off the A22 heading for Vila Real de Santo Antonio to pick up the N125 to avoid all the tolls.
Watch for the fixed speed cameras on the A49 from Seville to the Portuguese border they do work and you get the speeding ticket sent to the UK....I know I was that soldier Big smile.
I thought like in Portugal a UK number plate would just not get recognised but in Spain it does.
We do not pull into the border patrol office when we enter Portugal we just keep going.

Date Posted: 21/August/2018 at 09:42
Using the N125 may cost you more in fuel than the tolls you are trying to avoid. It's very busy at this time of year, often stop start for a long time.

-------------
Albufeira Resident

Date Posted: 24/August/2018 at 18:28

I said hi - but you didn't say hi back? Big smile Maybe next time James?  

-------------
Go away Duchatalet

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.15 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2012 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk