Print Page | Close Window

Eating out and enteratinment

Printed From: Albufeira.com
Category: Tourism / Turismo
Forum Name: Restaurants & Portuguese Cuisine / Restaurantes & a Comida
Forum Description: Share your experience eating out in Albufeira / Partilhe as suas experiências culinárias...
URL: https://albufeira.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9511
Printed Date: 25/April/2024 at 15:49
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 10.15 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Eating out and enteratinment
Posted By: jo9832
Subject: Eating out and enteratinment
Date Posted: 27/July/2016 at 16:09
Hi

Just wondering if anyone has recommendations for places to eat out that are slightly off the beaten track ie a few streets away from the main eateries and hopefully offering better value for money. Also recommendations for bars with entertainment (singers etc) in the old town for famlies (adults and 2 teenagers)
Many thanks

Replies:
Posted By: bob d
Date Posted: 27/July/2016 at 16:47
Yes. Go to top of escalators and walk up towards the town hall, keep an eye out for One 4 the Road on the right ( great wee bar, BTW) just after One 4 the Road, turn left, you will see David's at the top of the hill. Great Portuguese restaurant and very cheap.
Also, O'Catraio on tunnel street is excellent and cheap.
Most entertainment is in Bar Street and The Square but you will pay a premium for drinks.

-------------
we're not brazil we're norn iron

Posted By: Algarveaddick
Date Posted: 28/July/2016 at 13:55
Agree entirely with my good friend Bob D. I would like to add Snack Bar O Jorge, above the Pingo Doce supermarket next to the Watches Roundabout on the main dual carriageway through town.

-------------
Go away Duchatalet

Posted By: john2604smith
Date Posted: 28/July/2016 at 16:13
Hi Jo

I can recommend a Tasca d'Alcaz on the tunnel street excellent tourist menu. For music, try Rock Cafe, Vertigo, Sir Harry's in the square, Snoopy's on Fisherman's beach and Steps Bar (Martin Jonathan) again on the tunnel street. All start at around 22:30 until around 1- 1:30 am Great bands and singers, all in and around the centre of Albufeira Clap

-------------
ownersdirect P3708

Posted By: SteveW917
Date Posted: 29/July/2016 at 08:26
Hi Jo, and welcome.
Another vote from me for Steps Bar and Martin Jonathan. Awesome.
One of my favourite places to eat is Shalom 2, brilliant ribs/chicken/grills.
Just off the square behind Paensao Albufeirense.

Date Posted: 29/July/2016 at 08:54
Whilst my feelings on Shalom fail to reflect 95% of those of others, one thing I can say with confidence, is to avoid their neighbours, Zansi, at all cost. Don't be tempted by the low prices - there's a reason it's cheap!

-------------
Go away Duchatalet

Posted By: vinnym
Date Posted: 29/July/2016 at 09:01
Totally agree with algarveaddick on O Jorge, really nice little Portuguese eatery, don't be put off by the entrance, they have a lovely rustic dining area at the back. The black pork is fabulous.

Posted By: carolenclive
Date Posted: 29/July/2016 at 09:07
O Catraio as mentioned  and also Alentejano is very good especially the daily specials.

-------------
caz

Posted By: Andrew
Date Posted: 29/July/2016 at 11:04
Just up from O Catraio is Valerio, near identical and equally as good if that's what you're after, the tourist menu is absolute bargain and not by compromising quality, it's good straightforward food at an incredible price. I really don't know how they can cover the overheads of a restaurant premises, buy food, cook it, present it, serve it etc. for the money they do.

-------------
Andrew

Posted By: reds
Date Posted: 30/July/2016 at 08:36
How long is the walk from Globe roundabout to Watches and would I need to reserve at O Jorge for a family of 5?

Date Posted: 30/July/2016 at 08:42
12-15 minutes, and yes I would reserve.

-------------
Go away Duchatalet

Date Posted: 30/July/2016 at 08:47
We will be staying in Corcovada next to Globe roundabout for the last 2 weeks in August. Family of 5. We have 3 restaurants on out list to visit in the old town.
O Jorge
Os Arcos
O Manjar
I believe O Manjar do not take bookings, so could anyone recommend a bar close by whilst we wait?

Another concern is taxis. I've read there can be long queues for cabs both getting to and returning from the old town. Bearing in mind we are afamily of 5 (youngest being 4 y o) we would need a 6 seater unless the cabbies allow the 4 y o old to sit on my lap. I'm guessing we'd be looking for a cab back around 10pm. Any comments about the above would help.

Also cost of bus to Old town from Globe? As there are 5 of us would it be the same cost as grabbing a cab?

Date Posted: 30/July/2016 at 08:55
May need to add Shalom II to that list. Never been and it sounds very good.

Date Posted: 30/July/2016 at 10:05
The Cavern is directly opposite O Manjar, the owner will come and fish you out when your table is ready.

There will be huge queues for taxis at the point you want to travel, because everyone else with kids wants the same, you will almost certainly need a 6 seater.

I think your best bet is to walk to Jorges, and go out early for the others so you can catch the last Green Giro bus back at 21.14. The stop is 1 min from O Manjar and in sight of Os Arcos.

http://www.algarvebus.info/PDF/Table%204g.pdf

-------------
Go away Duchatalet

Posted By: hamlet
Date Posted: 30/July/2016 at 11:44
Steady on Algarveaddick, you trying to do Cubsur out of a job

Date Posted: 30/July/2016 at 12:11
He is on holiday, think of me as his locum...

-------------
Go away Duchatalet

Posted By: alison curwen
Date Posted: 09/September/2016 at 18:46
any decent Chinese restaurants near the strip
im a bit funny about Chinese food abroad but my friend loves chinese

-------------
alison

Posted By: Richardk
Date Posted: 09/September/2016 at 19:18
China Royal - not on strip but by roundabout of Santa eulalia Rd & Oura.
Best Chinese we have found

Date Posted: 09/September/2016 at 19:35
Not been to the Chinese Royal for ages, got fed up with being rushed in there - might be different now. We use Golden .garden, in a little alley opposite Wilde & Co. Set meal is great value.

-------------
Go away Duchatalet

Posted By: PFCGOG
Date Posted: 06/November/2016 at 20:36
You could always give the Chor Bar and Wok a go at the top of The Strip

-------------
Quem deus vult perdere, dementat prius

Date Posted: 06/November/2016 at 21:03
Alibaba, Old Town, seems to get dissed as its on the 'tourist' route but.. I tell ya, its quality, quality food. The tourist menu is a bargain , and good food, but look at the menu, two or three more euros...   Gets you a great, top quality menu/meal.
Don't know the folks/owners, just know from several experiences, it's pretty excellent in terms of quality, superb service and very fair price. I'm happy to recommend without reservation. Love the place and will return.

-------------
Andrew

Posted By: tonisdad
Date Posted: 07/November/2016 at 19:33
Originally posted by alison curwen alison curwen wrote:

any decent Chinese restaurants near the strip
im a bit funny about Chinese food abroad but my friend loves chinese

Yes agree once you get outside China it just doesn`t taste the same Big smile.

Posted By: Jock
Date Posted: 08/November/2016 at 15:25
I agree.  They seem to tailor it for each country, is my experience.

-------------
It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As pretty as an Airport' appear. Douglas Adams

Posted By: Super__Ally
Date Posted: 08/November/2016 at 15:48
Happy Valley Buffet is a good bet. Its across Oura Praia

-------------
Ally

Date Posted: 08/November/2016 at 16:57
To me its the same for" Indian" food,We have tried the recommended ones over the years and given up,never had a decent one yet,nearest was O Licorne in Olhos but still not good.

-------------
caz

Posted By: DICEYUK
Date Posted: 08/November/2016 at 17:41
Originally posted by carolenclive carolenclive wrote:

To me its the same for" Indian" food,We have tried the recommended ones over the years and given up,never had a decent one yet,nearest was O Licorne in Olhos but still not good.

I agree.
Having lived for 3 wonderful years in Glasgow I have to tell you that, by comparison, we struggle to get a decent one anywhere in England.
And as for here in Norfolk, you might just as well not bother trying.

Personally wouldn't touch Chinese or Indian when I'm abroad.
Had an absolute dire Indian in Lanzerote once and an even worse Chinese in Brussels.

Stick to what the locals know best is usually the sensible option

-------------
I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.

Date Posted: 08/November/2016 at 21:00
Eh?
In which case foreign cuisine never gets served anywhere but it's mother country? That's garbage to my finding, here in the Midlands we have fantastic Indian, Chinese, French, Bangladeshi, Mexican, Italian, Greek... The list goes on, in Albufeira we regularly enjoy quality Indian, Chinese, Italian...
Yes, we love following the 'local' but given the amount of time we're there, same as UK, variety is the spice of life!

-------------
Andrew

Posted By: Patti
Date Posted: 09/November/2016 at 00:51
I have to say I have found it hard to find a really nice Chinese or Indian restaurant abroad too - so I tend to not even try anymore.

Date Posted: 09/November/2016 at 09:57
Originally posted by Andrew Andrew wrote:

Eh?
In which case foreign cuisine never gets served anywhere but it's mother country? That's garbage to my finding, here in the Midlands we have fantastic Indian, Chinese, French, Bangladeshi, Mexican, Italian, Greek... The list goes on, in Albufeira we regularly enjoy quality Indian, Chinese, Italian...
Yes, we love following the 'local' but given the amount of time we're there, same as UK, v
ariety is the spice of life!
                   Our nearest city is Manchester and its getting to a point where you say "oh no not another Italian"There are just too many.Yes we have some really good Indian,Bangladeshi restaurants but they are more often in their local communities and this is why they are so good not just delivering to the tourists of which Manchester has many.The point is in Albufeira the Typical Portuguese cuisine is being swamped out by the others which is very sad.Unhappy

-------------
caz

Posted By: bob d
Date Posted: 09/November/2016 at 11:30
Been to Indian Restaurants all over the UK and I'll tell you what, the Indian Sizzler and the Spice Lounge in Albufeira are up there with the best of them.

-------------
we're not brazil we're norn iron

Date Posted: 09/November/2016 at 15:27
Originally posted by bob d bob d wrote:

Been to Indian Restaurants all over the UK and I'll tell you what, the Indian Sizzler and the Spice Lounge in Albufeira are up there with the best of them.

I have never had an Indian meal in India so don`t know what an actual "Indian" should taste like to be classed as authentic.But have to agree on the Indian Sizzler had 2 visits there and thoroughly enjoyed not only that it does not reek like some I have walked by in Albufeira.

Date Posted: 09/November/2016 at 15:50
Originally posted by tonisdad tonisdad wrote:

Originally posted by bob d bob d wrote:

I have never had an Indian meal in India so don`t know what an actual "Indian" should taste like to be classed as authentic.But have to agree on the Indian Sizzler had 2 visits there and thoroughly enjoyed not only that it does not reek like some I have walked by in Albufeira.

Never been to India but have been spoilt by living in a high immigrant area of Oldham for 30yrs or more and attended many Indian and Pakistani weddings.The food is usually prepared at the Temple or Mosque and is unlike food served in your local curry house.Bangladeshi food is my favourite and Indian Brahmin vegetarian is wonderful. We now live in Rossendale and there are no decent Asian restaurant so we have to travel to Manchester to one of our favourite curry cafes in the Northern Quarter.I do cook curry at home as I had lots of lessons off my Asian friends and neighbours.

-------------
caz

Posted By: Wireman
Date Posted: 09/November/2016 at 16:54
I don't get the Indian Sizzler thing. We tried there on the recommendations on here a year or so ago and didn't rate it at all. Two completely different curries ordered with very different spiciness tasted exactly the same. Oh and swimming in butter. Currently the best imo is Curry Leaves, St Eulalia area recommended to us by Sanjay and Priya formerly of Tiffanys Indian restaurant who have moved to London.

-------------
Regular Visitor

Date Posted: 09/November/2016 at 17:21
Originally posted by Wireman Wireman wrote:

I don't get the Indian Sizzler thing. We tried there on the recommendations on here a year or so ago and didn't rate it at all. Two completely different curries ordered with very different spiciness tasted exactly the same. Oh and swimming in butter. Currently the best imo is Curry Leaves, St Eulalia area recommended to us by Sanjay and Priya formerly of Tiffanys Indian restaurant who have moved to London.

Akil of Curry leaves is opening a new place at what was Annabelles. It is going to be buffet style with different buffet choices each night. I think he is opening after the winter now...will ask him when I see him...might be quite novel as you would be able to try something differnt without having to buy the whole dish.

Date Posted: 09/November/2016 at 17:28
We saw the signs for the daily Indian buffet thing when we were on a morning walk a couple of weeks back at a restaurant on St Eulalia. Thought - "that looks good". Went there one evening a few days later, and the buffet signs were gone. Just the ordinary menu up as far as we could see.

-------------
Go away Duchatalet

Date Posted: 09/November/2016 at 17:49
Originally posted by Algarveaddick Algarveaddick wrote:

We saw the signs for the daily Indian buffet thing when we were on a morning walk a couple of weeks back at a restaurant on St Eulalia. Thought - "that looks good". Went there one evening a few days later, and the buffet signs were gone. Just the ordinary menu up as far as we could see.

Perry from what I could gather they were going to open as the buffet option but things took a bit longer than expected and the main season was about finished so they tried to get the last couple of weeks just doing normal.
The Daughter and myself were looking forward to it like yourselves
I will bump into him over the next week no doubt so will mention people have been asking and try to get a solid answer off him as to his plans.

Date Posted: 09/November/2016 at 17:53
Nice one Paul. The rubbish timing of our visit sums our year up nicely.

-------------
Go away Duchatalet

Posted By: Jayjan
Date Posted: 10/November/2016 at 11:30
Paul is Curry Leaves still staying open or is Akil closing it and opening the new one (old Annabelles) ?

-------------
Polli the dancing cat strikes again.

Date Posted: 10/November/2016 at 13:48
Originally posted by Jayjan Jayjan wrote:

Paul is Curry Leaves still staying open or is Akil closing it and opening the new one (old Annabelles) ?

Pauline staying open he said last time we spoke Thumbs Up.

Date Posted: 10/November/2016 at 14:09
Curry leaves gets really good reviews so on those and as Churrasquiera Beira was closed on the evening we went in Sept and as we were needing to eat as we were visiting friends we decided to try it.IMO it was rubbish ,only decent thing we had was the Paratha the rest was lacking spice fresh herbs seeds etc.Not our type of curry.

-------------
caz

Posted By: lizrod
Date Posted: 11/November/2016 at 10:12
where abouts is annabeles

Date Posted: 11/November/2016 at 10:48
It is on Estrada St Eulalia higher up from the Oura Praia hotel on the left hand side of the road.

-------------
caz

Posted By: lizrod
Date Posted: 11/November/2016 at 13:00
thanks 

Date Posted: 11/November/2016 at 14:08
Originally posted by tonisdad tonisdad wrote:

Originally posted by Algarveaddick Algarveaddick wrote:

Perry from what I could gather they were going to open as the buffet option but things took a bit longer than expected and the main season was about finished so they tried to get the last couple of weeks just doing normal.
The Daughter and myself were looking forward to it like yourselves
I will bump into him over the next week no doubt so will mention people have been asking and try to get a solid answer off him as to his plans.

Perry spoke to Akil last night and he said his plans are to open at Annabelles early February doing buffet style and normal.....so knowing Akil that will mean back end of February.
He said there will be up to 30 dishes to choose from. Will let you know nearer the time if we pass and he is open.

Date Posted: 08/December/2016 at 21:28
Each to their own but people can be very narrow minded about Indian food. Most people now have tried traditional 'home cooked' Indian food. Most towns and cities have Indian cafes/restaurants that serve this. This is totally different to British/Indian food that is served in most restaurants and takeaways. Total snobbery to say that British/Indian cannot stand up to 'real' Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi food. It's a variation of their food, adapted to European taste. I've eaten some terrible food in 'real' Asian cafes in Manchester and great food in Indian restaurants all over Europe. A curry is a curry, recipes differ. Some people tend to think if it served on the bone it's 'real' Indian. That maybe so, but please don't tell me British/Indian food that is served off the bone is all terrible.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.15 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2012 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk