Print Page | Close Window

UK "Air Bridge"

Printed From: Albufeira.com
Category: Tourism / Turismo
Forum Name: Users Chit Chat / Conversa entre Utilizadores
Forum Description: Topic area unrelated to Albufeira / Área de Tópicos não relacionados com Albufeira
URL: https://albufeira.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11671
Printed Date: 19/April/2024 at 01:35
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 10.15 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: UK "Air Bridge"
Posted By: DaveEastYorks
Subject: UK "Air Bridge"
Date Posted: 24/May/2020 at 21:09
Just watched "How To Go On Holiday This Summer" on Channel 4 and the Industry experts seem to think that there will be a race to complete a "Air Bridge" with the UK and secure the British £, which they say is the largest payer for many countries that rely on tourism.

The thoughts on the programme were that flights (without any restrictions) to The Algarve should be secured before July.

Hopefully, that'll be the case! Cool

Replies:
Posted By: DaveEastYorks
Date Posted: 28/June/2020 at 19:03
It looks like the programme was spot on with its predictions!   Thumbs Up

Posted By: JuliejH
Date Posted: 28/June/2020 at 20:18
I hope it’s true , so many different predictions, but the official review is tomorrow so we should have an indication, it would be tricky if not, no insurance and the quarantine.

Posted By: Jayjan
Date Posted: 28/June/2020 at 20:38
I thought the announcement for changes to the FCO travel advice wasn't until 1st July. and only the airbridge fiasco will be discussed tomorrow.  Or will they be discussing both? There's so many conflicting stories going around that  it confuses me. 

-------------
Polli the dancing cat strikes again.

Date Posted: 28/June/2020 at 20:44
The legal review is tomorrow, they are probably going to do the same as before and say it starts from a set date ! But it looks like the British have booked regardless to other countries, the uncertainty in Portugal has most likely cost the tourism industry sadly

Posted By: Andrew
Date Posted: 28/June/2020 at 22:12
Originally posted by DaveEastYorks DaveEastYorks wrote:

It looks like the programme was spot on with its predictions!   Thumbs Up

Thanks but on what basis are you saying this, what have you seen, read or heard? As far as I can find all the reports are as they were, I can’t find anything suggesting such a prediction, I wish I could!

-------------
Andrew

Posted By: cubsur
Date Posted: 29/June/2020 at 09:01
Originally an announcement was due today, but further discussions / arguments / statistics seem to have pushed that back a few days. There is no mention I can find on this morning's news. Fingers crossed. I am due to travel on July 20th if Easyjet don't cancel my flight booked last December.

-------------
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve

Date Posted: 29/June/2020 at 10:16
Mmmm, not what those of us who want to get out there wanted to hear. This explains why Portugal has been removed from the list of countries we are going to have air bridges with, as Government is discussing today.

https://algarvedailynews.com/news/18151-a-country-at-three-speeds-algarve-to-be-on-state-of-alert-from-1st-of-july-whilst-lisbon-remains-divided" rel="nofollow - https://algarvedailynews.com/news/18151-a-country-at-three-speeds-algarve-to-be-on-state-of-alert-from-1st-of-july-whilst-lisbon-remains-divided

-------------
Andrew

Posted By: Gazza
Date Posted: 29/June/2020 at 12:54
I think the UK government has been confused since the beginning of the pandemic!

Date Posted: 29/June/2020 at 16:12
Seems there are two threads on this topic. I have closed the other one.

-------------
Albufeira Resident

Date Posted: 29/June/2020 at 18:31
What was the point in giving a deadline date on the quarantine if the gov are just going to ignore it ! Nothing at all on air bridge, good or bad, more uncertainty, dithering and bumbling !

Date Posted: 29/June/2020 at 19:04
”later this week” is the latest we’ve now been told.
That also confirmed in this article which pretty much sets out what the situation is and what the wrangling is about. But, the best we can hope for if all the ducks line up, is the air bridge or no 14 day quarantine will be required for those travelling out from 6th July.
Makes me laugh that you have to QT coming back to the UK where you are at greater risk than where you’ve come from! Crazy.

https://www.portugalresident.com/worst-week-in-terms-of-cases-sees-portugal-in-desperate-diplomatic-battle-over-british-tourists/" rel="nofollow - https://www.portugalresident.com/worst-week-in-terms-of-cases-sees-portugal-in-desperate-diplomatic-battle-over-british-tourists/

-------------
Andrew

Posted By: Luis
Date Posted: 29/June/2020 at 20:24
Another thing Greece confirmed today that people arriving from UK bound flights will have to go on quarantine,that surely wasn't part of the plan designed by the diplomats from the UK side as Greece was heavily tipped to be on the list... Will it be reciprocated now? God is all so confusing...

Date Posted: 29/June/2020 at 20:34
Interesting article , and definitely makes sense !

Date Posted: 29/June/2020 at 21:54
Grant Shapps announced that the 14 day quarantine blanket will be replaced by air bridges , a traffic light system will come into force this week, all green and Amber will not need to quarantine! all in red will !
There still is uncertainty due to the Lisbon cases whether Portugal will fall into the red zone, along with Sweden , looks like Wednesday will be the release date .

Date Posted: 29/June/2020 at 22:10
 From what I understand  also, if Portugal goes into the amber zone and quarantine is not needed you still have to fill a locator form in when arriving in the UK and hand it into  customs/ border  airport officers. These locator forms are apparently available from the airline you are flying with.
I read it somewhere today but now can't find the link to it.

-------------

Date Posted: 29/June/2020 at 23:08
Yes, you download the form which contains, flight info, destination you are returning from, your address and telephone number and next of kin .
This is now for track and trace purposes, rather than quarantine

Date Posted: 30/June/2020 at 09:17
Announcement delayed until 'the end of the week'.

How will the authorities know people have not given false information on their form? Suppose a tourist to UK does not have a mobile phone? (In some countries there as as many as 15% of the adult population of do not.)

For most UK residents they will already have your address from the passports database and API data you must provide  when checking in for your flight.

-------------
Albufeira Resident

Date Posted: 30/June/2020 at 13:45
and this is not going to help getting Portugal into the amber zone!
There are some idiots about.
https://www.portugalresident.com/police-break-up-two-illegal-parties-in-lagos-and-albufeira/" rel="nofollow - https://www.portugalresident.com/police-break-up-two-illegal-parties-in-lagos-and-albufeira/

-------------
Andrew

Date Posted: 30/June/2020 at 20:41
https://www.portugalresident.com/give-portugal-an-air-bridge-petition-aims-to-push-british-government-to-see-sense/

Posted By: bob d
Date Posted: 30/June/2020 at 22:56
A couple returning to the UK this week from Faro got a phone call from the government department the day after their return to make sure they understand the quarantine rules. 

-------------
we're not brazil we're norn iron

Date Posted: 01/July/2020 at 18:47
According to The Telegraph, tomorrow is the day we will learn which countries are to get an Air Bridge. But I can’t find confirmation of that anywhere else, everywhere else is saying it will be some time next week. 😕

-------------
Andrew

Date Posted: 01/July/2020 at 20:33
It's all a big mess really...

Date Posted: 01/July/2020 at 21:35
Makes me wonder whether folks will fly into Seville and then hire a car/catch national coach transport to get into Portugal so to avoid the 14 day quarantine when arriving back in the UK. Long winded procedure I know but some  folks I'm sure would do it. 
Lets hope the UK Government change the light to Amber this week.

-------------

Posted By: sunseeker2010
Date Posted: 02/July/2020 at 09:17
Reports this morning that the UK government will make a dramatic u-turn and Portugal (along with many others) will be included in the safe to travel list.

Date Posted: 02/July/2020 at 09:29
Fingers remain crossed as I am due to fly to UK for a short visit on 20th July. There is no option for me to go via Seville! I suspect argument and disagreement in high places about this. Some no doubt believe that it's a sledgehammer to crack a nut, others are terrified of getting the blame for introducing a new plague into UK should someone bring it back from abroad.

Various news media report this morning that the new 'rules' may come into effect on Monday next, which infers a statement being made today or tomorrow.

-------------
Albufeira Resident

Date Posted: 02/July/2020 at 09:32
Yes, Mirror on line (but it won’t let me post a link) say Government are to announce U turn and will release a list of 75 countries that you can travel to and from without quarantine or other hindrance from Monday coming. The list will include Portugal.
If this is true what a waste of time and money from Government with all the rhetoric Over the past few days and weeks that counts for nothing.

-------------
Andrew

Date Posted: 02/July/2020 at 09:43
We are also due there soon and looked at alternatives to travel home if necessary, one was via Paris and very cheap ! But if this is correct I’m over the moon , we all need to support the industry’s worst affected and find a way to safely travel

Date Posted: 02/July/2020 at 09:45
Here you go, BBC News doesn’t specifically put it as a done deal, as the Mirror does, but it more than doffs it’s cap to it.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-53252096" rel="nofollow - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-53252096

-------------
Andrew

Date Posted: 02/July/2020 at 13:29
And now we have to sit and wait for the list but if that list is 75 countries long I think we are safe assuming Portugal will be one of them 🤞
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53261752" rel="nofollow - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53261752

-------------
Andrew

Posted By: Richardk
Date Posted: 02/July/2020 at 14:39
Hopefully we will find out tomorrow now. Can't believe how many times the 'announcement' has been deferred

Posted By: cameroncleggout
Date Posted: 02/July/2020 at 16:47
75 Countries out of 197 . So only around 37% allowed quarantine free entry and the other  63 % will need to quarantine for 14 days.  Somehow I suspect safety will play only a small part in which countries get allocated which system. USA will be a perfect example if as predicted Buffoon Boris bows down to Trump and allows the undeserving Americans quarantine free entry. ( Not blaming all the American people, Just those Idiots following Trumps poor judgement)

-------------
cameronout

Posted By: Jock
Date Posted: 02/July/2020 at 19:20
The quarantine fine is only £100. Do what you like and pay the £100 if you're caught which is not likely. Treat it as another holiday expense.

-------------
It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As pretty as an Airport' appear. Douglas Adams

Posted By: port princess
Date Posted: 02/July/2020 at 20:17
It's a joke as I hear Boris dad over in Greece !!
Hope we get announcement tomorrow to let everyone know so we can all get sorted

-------------
Portprincess

Date Posted: 03/July/2020 at 10:34
Its all right saying just pay the £100 fine. The problem (apart from possibly spreading the virus) isn`t the fine, its the fact that airlines will carry on cancelling many of the peoples booked flights due to a much lower than expected uptake of seats. 

-------------
cameronout

Date Posted: 03/July/2020 at 12:09
I wasn't promoting cheating the system. Rather I was showing that it's a feeble quarantine measure that can be got round easily by anyone prepared to pay the fine if (unlikely) detected.  If it's being relied on to protect us then Lord help us.

-------------
It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As pretty as an Airport' appear. Douglas Adams

Date Posted: 03/July/2020 at 12:17
Stan Johnson evidently went to Greece via Bulgaria. The UK government "advised"against travelling. But hey ho it's his father, somewhat like Dominic Cummings travelling from London to Durham and then going to Barnard Castle to "test his eyesight"!

Date Posted: 03/July/2020 at 12:26
The British (well, mostly English really) public gave a great majority to a collection of privileged rich ex public school types who despise common oiks (i.e. us).  Of course the normal rules don't apply to them. 

-------------

Date Posted: 03/July/2020 at 15:20
oh dear, the list is published and Portugal is NOT on it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53283375" rel="nofollow - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53283375

-------------
Andrew

Date Posted: 03/July/2020 at 15:23
Sorry folks for bad news but Portuguese news showing mainland out of scheme - Madeira in.

Still hasn't been announced by UK Govt but given how badly they have handled this entire situation it doesn't surprise me.

Sad day for Portugal

Date Posted: 03/July/2020 at 15:27
And Sky have the full list here:-

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-full-list-of-countries-exempt-from-covid-19-travel-quarantine-revealed-12020243" rel="nofollow - https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-full-list-of-countries-exempt-from-covid-19-travel-quarantine-revealed-12020243

-------------
Andrew

Date Posted: 03/July/2020 at 15:29
Portugal NOT on the list but the likes of Turkeu are,what a bloody joke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Date Posted: 03/July/2020 at 15:38
Originally posted by Luis Luis wrote:

Portugal NOT on the list but the likes of Turkeu are,what a bloody joke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And Greece is on there as well. As you say, joke. In fact how can anyone treat this as credible? It’s a farce.

-------------
Andrew

Date Posted: 03/July/2020 at 15:40
I’m gutted

Date Posted: 03/July/2020 at 15:54
Perhaps Portugal didn't have enough deaths to qualify for the list. Can't believe it - so sorry for all those involved in the tourism sector.

Date Posted: 03/July/2020 at 15:58
The Faroe Islands are on the list, though. I'm packing my speedos as I type.

-------------

Date Posted: 03/July/2020 at 17:21
Major disaster for the tourist business here and also for my planned trip to UK at the end of this month, unless Northern Ireland Government announces something different very quickly.

Local media reports that around 40% of restaurants are already considering filing for insolvency.

The obvious work around for English determined to go to Portugal without having to go into quarantine upon return is to go to France, Belgium, Holland or Germany and use their airlines. They consider it safe to come here.

Or fly to Spain and make your way by road from there.

-------------
Albufeira Resident

Date Posted: 03/July/2020 at 17:27
Bojo already forgot that Portuguese nurse that he singled out together with the nurse from New Zealand.

Date Posted: 03/July/2020 at 17:35
  • Unfortunately you cannot get round the ruling by flying into Spain and driving to Portugal as when you fly back to uk the question will be have you been to one of the non approved countries in last 14 days. Below is from the government website:
    Coronavirus regulations mean that you must self-isolate for 14 days if you return to the UK from a country outside the common travel area.
    The government is satisfied that it is now safe to ease these measures in England and has introduced travel corridors for some countries and territories.
    Exemption rules
    From 10 July 2020 you will not have to self-isolate when you arrive in England, if you:
    are travelling or returning from one of the travel corridor countries
    have not been to or stopped in a country that’s not on the travel corridor list in the previous 14 day
    This applies to all travel to England, by train, ferry, coach, air or any other route.
    If you have been to or stopped in a country that’s not on the travel corridor list you will have to self-isolate until 14 days have passed since you left that country
    Your stay abroad
    You will have to comply with coronavirus requirements in the country you travel to. This may include self-isolating or providing your details to local authorities.
    Check Foreign and Commonwealth Office coronavirus advice for the country you are travelling to.
    Arrival in the UK
    Before your arrival in the UK, you must complete a passenger locator form. You must present these details on your arrival in England. This applies to both visitors and UK residents.
    Updates to the travel corridor list
    We will keep the conditions in these countries and territories under review. If they worsen we will not hesitate to reintroduce self-isolation requirements.
    Travellers should always check the latest FCO travel advice. Travel advice includes information on any health measures in place for visitors to the country or territory. These can include a requirement to self-isolate, quarantine, or undergo testing for coronavirus, or even restrictions on entry.
    Make sure you have appropriate travel insurance in case you have unexpected costs.
    Travel corridors: countries and territories exemption list
    From 10 July 2020, unless they have visited or stopped in any other country or territory in the preceding 14 days, passengers arriving from the following countries and territories will not be required to self-isolate on arrival into England.
    Andorra Germany New Zealand
    Antigua and Barbuda Greece Norway
    Aruba Greenland Poland
    Australia Grenada Réunion
    Austria Guadeloupe San Marino
    Bahamas Hong Kong Serbia
    Barbados Hungary Seychelles
    Belgium Iceland South Korea
    Bonaire, Sint Eustatius and Saba Italy Spain
    Croatia Jamaica St Barthélemy
    Curaçao Japan St Kitts and Nevis
    Cyprus Liechtenstein St Lucia
    Czech Republic Lithuania St Pierre and Miquelon
    Denmark Luxembourg Switzerland
    Dominica Macau Taiwan
    Faroe Islands Malta Trinidad and Tobago
    Fiji Mauritius Turkey
    Finland Monaco Vatican City
    France Netherlands Vietnam
    French Polynesia New Caledonia

-------------

Date Posted: 03/July/2020 at 17:56
On those forms just state that you stayed on a privatye accomodation with family in Spain...

Date Posted: 03/July/2020 at 18:16
Sad to say yes they did Jock, even some in NE England. All down to brexit and Tory promises!!

Date Posted: 03/July/2020 at 19:15
All this has the trappings of a police state ruled by fear.

Do a google image search 'your papers please' and see some of what is circulating especially in the USA.

Enough of this. I am going to a pub now.

-------------
Albufeira Resident

Posted By: AJSUGGY
Date Posted: 03/July/2020 at 19:22
Hope the pub has not out their prices up like the bowls club.

Date Posted: 03/July/2020 at 20:31
Politics at Play ?  

-------------
cameronout

Posted By: Big Col
Date Posted: 03/July/2020 at 20:31
Originally posted by AJSUGGY AJSUGGY wrote:

Hope the pub has not out their prices up like the bowls club.

-------------
Colin

Posted By: Super__Ally
Date Posted: 03/July/2020 at 22:45
I do not understand why Boris Bunter Johnstone is not allowing travel to Portugal.
The latest covid19 cases per 100,000 in the UK is 418 and in Portugal it is less and in the Algarve it is minute. So Portugal is a safer place Covid wise than the UK
Go here for statistics. 
https://www.statista.com/statistics/1110187/coronavirus-incidence-europe-by-country/" rel="nofollow - https://www.statista.com/statistics/1110187/coronavirus-incidence-europe-by-country/

https://postimages.org/" rel="nofollow">

-------------
Ally

Posted By: pyrman
Date Posted: 04/July/2020 at 08:34
I could never support nutty Boris ... but the table above is far too simplistic.... maybe a history lesson but not good stats. The current rate of infection all across Algarve is around 12 times the current rate in Scotland ... so I could not advise anyone to go there right now ... maybe wait a month. ... 

the little scottish pratt behind the lectern on my tv has finally got something right .. People jumping on planes to Faro cannot be infected by a history lesson ... but they can be easily killed by a virus rapidly re-infecting the region .. In my view, we are going to see a big new spike in cases thanks to the Costa government`s incompetence ..

The utter stupidity of having temperature testing at Faro airport ... when all the clean customers can then mix with infected people coming by road from the north .. is beyond my feeble understanding ..  can anyone explain this (but not in gaelic, please) ...

-------------
Pyrman

Date Posted: 04/July/2020 at 08:44
Political? Our Goverment? Come on. Maybe it’s because Portugal are happily dealing with Brazil and we have a cob on with them, Brazil that is, prompts such action. Oh, that would be political though so couldn’t possibly be. NOT! 😂😉😂
Sarcasm apart this article just about covers it...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53288080" rel="nofollow - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53288080

-------------
Andrew

Date Posted: 04/July/2020 at 09:08
And the Portuguese view...

https://algarvedailynews.com/news/18179-decision-made-portugal-left-off-uk-safe-travel-list-lisbon-to-blame" rel="nofollow - https://algarvedailynews.com/news/18179-decision-made-portugal-left-off-uk-safe-travel-list-lisbon-to-blame

-------------
Andrew

Date Posted: 04/July/2020 at 09:35
My neighbour said yesterday that beach was very busy here and everyone was speaking Spanish. They can now drive over the border with no checks whatsoever. The infection rate in Spain is higher than UK, 539.1 according to that statistics source. Spain is safe to go to according to UK Government.

Either everyone must be 'protected ' all the time or we must accept a risk. And as I have said before, there are other things to catch and get ill from.  I don't see any mention of these.

-------------
Albufeira Resident

Date Posted: 04/July/2020 at 12:09
Sadly it does appear that the current daily cases in Lisbon are the reason , also over the last month the rates are not altering, Uk had dropped 48% over the month and Portugal has only reduced 2% , the data is on the world meters site , the gov will review daily , so if the figures start to decrease they will drop the quarantine . The drops need to be sustainable to see a policy change .
I still believe it’s safer there and would be very happy to travel

Date Posted: 04/July/2020 at 12:36
This takes me back to the good old days of pub discussions when no one really knew much about the topic in hand.  It gave scope for statements like "it's a well known fact that..." and "a bloke told me he had heard from another bloke...". 
Carry on. Hugely ammusing.

-------------

Date Posted: 04/July/2020 at 12:38
Well I just heard from a friend who lives there that St Eulalia beach was packed, loads of cars on the car park and no social distancing. Apparently she said many are from Lisbon, mmm I thought Lisbon was on lockdown?

-------------

Date Posted: 04/July/2020 at 13:15
The areas that are in lockdwon consist of a few quarters around Lisbon,areas where poverty is rife and just the ideal places for the illness to spread hence the high numbers on those poor areas... Hoefully the numbers will come down soon. On another hand UEFA has awarded Portugal with the organasation of the remaining Champions league fixtures that will be taking place at the Estadio da Luz and Estadio Jose de Alvalade in Lisbon,it must be because they class it as such a dangerous place to be!!

Date Posted: 04/July/2020 at 16:06
Meanwhile the Buffoon`s father sneaks into Greece via Bulgaria, and when challenged about it Buffoon simply replied " What my father does is nothing to do with me"  . So there you have it folks, Do as we say and not as we do.

-------------
cameronout

Posted By: mrandyd
Date Posted: 04/July/2020 at 16:20
My dad does exactly what I tell him to do as well😀

Date Posted: 05/July/2020 at 09:41
"Uk had dropped 48% over the month and Portugal has only reduced 2%"

UK dropped from a very large number, Portugal from a much smaller number. Anyway,  it's academic now. It will be interesting to know how many will be on the nine flights due in from the UK today. A total of 36 flights (excluding those from Lisbon) are due in today.

-------------
Albufeira Resident

Posted By: pyrman
Date Posted: 05/July/2020 at 13:35
Luis .... it wouldnt be too hard to get `August` right in the middle of June ... but, it can still go wrong. Interesting conundrum ... if the Portuguese `air bridge` is still red in early august .. under Boris rules it means Man City and Chelsea have to quarantine for two weeks ... while the EPL is expected to start Sep 12  ...

-------------
Pyrman

Date Posted: 05/July/2020 at 16:22
Yes that is true... But then again Farage was in the US and then went to the pub yesterday breaking the rules... Nothing will happen of course...
The last proposal from Augusto Santos Silva was to quarantine just the flights leaving Lisbon...
Ah well we shall see what will happen. Spain had a big outbreak in Catalunia and because of that they were downgraded to Amber by the Belgium Government. Will the same apply from London? I doubt it too many interests behind it... Just a shame that Stanley don't have a house in The Algarve in that case the problem would be sorted by now...

Posted By: kevjrobbo
Date Posted: 06/July/2020 at 07:48
Looks like the government has sorted the Lisbon issue. If it’s a major sporting event or filming then exempt from quarantine on the return to uk. That’s good of them.

Date Posted: 06/July/2020 at 08:57
I believe 'biosecure venue' is the term for major sporting events such as the Champions league or indeed the Test Matches starting this week vs West Indies.

Players, officials and media persons will travel separately and be completely isolated from the unwashed (are they not anyway?) so as to ensure the infection does not travel.

Spectators will of course not be permitted. (I suspect not permited at any sporting event for very many weeks, if not months, anywhere.)

I read this morning that a case of bubonic plague has surfaced in China. Those who know your history will be aware of the consequences of that when it spreads.

-------------
Albufeira Resident

Posted By: kevjrobbo
Date Posted: 06/July/2020 at 09:06
Apparently 15 people have caught the plague in the USA this year and they get 7 on average every year.

Date Posted: 06/July/2020 at 10:46
Hi Cubsur,Fnas are already allowed in very small numbers in Denmark and from Septmeber they will be allowed in Holland too providing they keep the 1.5 meters distance in the grounds and they won't be any chanting allowed a barrel of laughs...
On the other hand let's see if any reaction to the outbreaks and lockdowns that are taking place in Spain,i pretty much doubt it too many interests involved...
On a letter that was passed on to Sky News Swissport together with a healthcare company offered to test passengers at the airport it will cost but i think that is an avenue that should be persued!

Date Posted: 07/July/2020 at 09:54
In UK such tests were said to cost £140, so for a family of four coming on holiday that's a considerable extra expense.

If one reads below the headlines, it seems that scientists are suggesting that the current restrictions on 'normal' life could be in place for a year, even 18 months. Then add the usual winter influenza outbreaks into the mix. This may mean that, for example, wearing masks could and 'social distancing' could become permanent.

As for fans at sports events, a ban on chanting is on par with the logic that said people in UK could attend church but not sing hymns. If you cannot feel safe in the house of your god(s) then there is truly no hope.

-------------
Albufeira Resident

Date Posted: 07/July/2020 at 10:10
To be honest i cannot see the social distancing last too much longer will give it to end of the year and even that is being too generous more and more people are getting restless and fed up something will have to give.
Yes the tests are a bit pricey... Grant Shapps confirmed that the next review will take place by the end of July

Posted By: Algarveaddick
Date Posted: 07/July/2020 at 11:28
Not only the UK government that are doing a half arsed job of communicating their messages by the looks of things...

https://www.portugalresident.com/non-portuguese-and-foreigners-without-residency-permits-face-covid-testing-at-airports-from-saturday/?fbclid=IwAR1Ur-Cq8C3Ccc54QxOsxo_1TAtux2j_JVS_H2jU3dyRIKPA34_NhoWU33w" rel="nofollow - https://www.portugalresident.com/non-portuguese-and-foreigners-without-residency-permits-face-covid-testing-at-airports-from-saturday/?fbclid=IwAR1Ur-Cq8C3Ccc54QxOsxo_1TAtux2j_JVS_H2jU3dyRIKPA34_NhoWU33w

-------------
Go away Duchatalet

Date Posted: 07/July/2020 at 12:29
Indeed! Something else to throw everyone into a panic and generate more headlines that will be seen as gospel.

I shall be clutching my residencia firmly just in case!

-------------
Albufeira Resident

Date Posted: 07/July/2020 at 13:42
That report is worthy of Professor Stanley Unwin.

How does "deep fundamold" translate?

-------------

Date Posted: 07/July/2020 at 23:09
mmmm, could this give some hope:  
http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-health-coronavirus-portugal-britain-idUKKBN2482VT%20" rel="nofollow - https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-health-coronavirus-portugal-britain-idUKKBN2482VT

-------------

Date Posted: 08/July/2020 at 08:10
BBC got it wrong yesterday!

http://www.portugalresident.com/bbc-mistakenly-tells-brits-they-have-to-quarantine-on-arrival-in-portugal/" rel="nofollow - https://www.portugalresident.com/bbc-mistakenly-tells-brits-they-have-to-quarantine-on-arrival-in-portugal/

Fact checking is obviously no longer even a function of such a respected news organ. The original announcement by Portugal's government did not specify which countries were on the list.

Al this chopping and changing will possibly not help this summer. People cannot hang on until the last minute before having to change plans.

-------------
Albufeira Resident

Date Posted: 08/July/2020 at 11:29
People can wait to book holidays.

-------------

Date Posted: 08/July/2020 at 13:10
https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-portugal-in-talks-with-uk-over-travel-quarantine-exemption-12023455

Date Posted: 08/July/2020 at 14:19
Covid cases per 100,000
Algarve - 142 - Mr Costa's tweet July 3
Scotland - 28 - Scottish Government daily briefing July 8
So those returning to Scotland must quarantine for 14 days.
Also Spain including the islands.

-------------

Posted By: NBSHIP
Date Posted: 08/July/2020 at 14:27
How many "active" cases are there in The Algarve at the moment ?
In Ireland we have total of 12 in Hospital for the entire country as of today !!

Date Posted: 08/July/2020 at 14:56
In the whole of The Algarve 256 active cases

Date Posted: 08/July/2020 at 15:11
The percentages are minute. 99,95% of the Algarve populace doesn't have it.

I will make a bet that there is a higher percentage of something else out there that apparently is now of no concern.

It's the constant changing of laws, rules, guidance etc that is problematic.

If this particular virus is potentially so deadly (what are we not being told?), then there should be no talk of air bridges or quarantines. ALL TRAVEL, national and international, should be banned until it goes away or can be vaccinated against.

But no government will ever have the willingness or ability to impose a 24/7 curfew. So let's learn to live with it.

-------------
Albufeira Resident

Date Posted: 08/July/2020 at 16:38
King Canute would probably agree with you were he here.

-------------

Posted By: Kaaskop59
Date Posted: 11/July/2020 at 12:26
Well, I don't understand how to write a link it seems, sorry!

[Moderator Edit - the website address contains errors (...ugal?) so it would not have worked anyway. I cannot find the intended page at https://www.theportugalnews.com" rel="nofollow - https://www.theportugalnews.com .]

Some browsers eg Chrome will add a link automatically when it detects http:// or https://

If yours does not, highlight the text with your mouse or however it's done on a mobile device, click or tap the 'globe' symbol (the one to the left of the tree symbol) which will will open a new window called Hyperlink Properties with the link ready. Check it correctly says http:// or https:// before clicking OK.

The clickable link will then be seen within your post as above.

-------------

Date Posted: 13/July/2020 at 14:09
Originally posted by Kaaskop59 Kaaskop59 wrote:

Well, I don't understand how to write a link it seems, sorry!

[Moderator Edit - the website address contains errors (...ugal?) so it would not have worked anyway. I cannot find the intended page at https://www.theugalnews.com - https://www.theportugalnews.com.]

Some browsers eg Chrome will add a link automatically when it detects http:// or https://

If yours does not, highlight the text with your mouse or however it's done on a mobile device, click or tap the 'globe' symbol (the one to the left of the tree symbol) which will will open a new window called Hyperlink Properties with the link ready. Check it correctly says http:// or https:// before clicking OK.

The clickable link will then be seen within your post as above.

Thank you moderator, let's try again. Look at this video from Mallorca, sure we want more tourism in the Algarve? 
https://postal.pt/video/2020-07-13-Centenas-de-turistas-provocam-desacatosnas-Ilhas-Baleares.-Video-mostra-turistas-a-pularem-sobre-viaturas - https://postal.pt/video/2020-07-13-Centenas-de-turistas-provocam-desacatosnas-Ilhas-Baleares.-Video-mostra-turistas-a-pularem-sobre-viaturas

Strange, in the preview window it's a clickable link but on the website it isn't??? I'm using Firefox on a computer....

Date Posted: 13/July/2020 at 15:33
You've duplicated the web address.
Try - http://postal.pt/video/2020-07-13-Centenas-de-turistas-provocam-desacatosnas-Ilhas-Baleares.-Video-mostra-turistas-a-pularem-sobre-viaturas" rel="nofollow - https://postal.pt/video/2020-07-13-Centenas-de-turistas-provocam-desacatosnas-Ilhas-Baleares.-Video-mostra-turistas-a-pularem-sobre-viaturas

Google Translate will translate the page.

-------------

Date Posted: 13/July/2020 at 20:26
Originally posted by Jock Jock wrote:

You've duplicated the web address.
Try - http://postal.pt/video/2020-07-13-Centenas-de-turistas-provocam-desacatosnas-Ilhas-Baleares.-Video-mostra-turistas-a-pularem-sobre-viaturas - https://postal.pt/video/2020-07-13-Centenas-de-turistas-provocam-desacatosnas-Ilhas-Baleares.-Video-mostra-turistas-a-pularem-sobre-viaturas

Google Translate will translate the page.

Thanks for the help Jock, how I doubled it is a mystery or maybe old eyes Geek!

Posted By: Super__Ally
Date Posted: 15/July/2020 at 10:59
At this time of year we would have already visited Albufeira twice out of our four annual trips. We should be planning our late September and December flights as I write. What do we do? We can come over and when we return we can quarantine for a fortnight. This is no problem as we are both retired. 
My question is, as there is No Air Bridge, are tourists from the UK and specifically Scotland welcomed in Albufeira just now? 

-------------
Ally

Date Posted: 15/July/2020 at 11:08
Any tourists are welcome. The industry is suffering with tens of thousands out of work or on short time. It must be noted that there are numerous flights every day even though the UK has no agreement with Portugal and quarantine is needed on return. Any 'risk'is yours.

In contrast there are still no flights between the Scandinavian countries and Portugal.

-------------
Albufeira Resident

Date Posted: 15/July/2020 at 11:43
Well, we made it! Got here yesterday afternoon. A few observations which some may find useful.
Birmingham airport was like a ghost town, 13 flights out all day, not the usual 100 and more they would expect this time of year. The resource has been cut back to match this and is adequately staffed. We allowed extra time, ie. arrived earlier than usual, in truth we could have left it later as it took far less time through security. Most of the shops are shut, some permanently some temporary, you can’t get a hot drink, a cold one is available from WHS, the one right in the terminal not the one on the right as you leave security, that’s closed temporarily.
Ryanair you couldn’t fault, only 24 on the flight in and 100, ie2/3rds full going out. Interesting that most going out we’re Portuguese not tourists. 
Ryanair emailed us, the day before we travelled, a link to a Portuguese form that you had to print off and complete and take with you. Fair enough, easy to do and we did. At Portugal passport control they never asked for it, most hadn’t got it but that wasn’t a problem. We handed ours in with passport and they put it to one side, never looked at it. Those that hadn’t got just went through without a request for the form or enquiry of any of the questions on the form. Insert “shrug shoulders” emoji!
I’m not recommending you ignore, I just wouldn’t panic if for some reason you haven’t got it.
Landing to car hire pick up in P4 was less than twenty minutes, not bad, and the airport was just like Birmingham, something of a ghost town.
They also emailed us a link to a UK form for QT purposes on your return but you can only complete that up to 48 hours prior to your arrival back in UK when again, unless there’s an Airbridge agreement by then, you should hand your form in.
Well, if any of that is of interest or use I’m glad I took the time.
All that said, when you get here, enjoy.

-------------
Andrew

Date Posted: 15/July/2020 at 11:50
Lucky man to be there.

-------------

Posted By: Cooknoe
Date Posted: 15/July/2020 at 12:21
Thanks for the info Andrew. We are due to fly out tomorrow morning from Manchester. Fingers crossed it will also run smoothly for us. Got our forms from easyJet, and filled in already. We plan on taking a small suitcase on board with us. Were there any issues with luggage on Ryanair? Also what about face coverings on the plane and at the airport. Presume you can remove them to eat or drink something -TIA.

Posted By: Big Col
Date Posted: 15/July/2020 at 12:47
Thanks for the update Andrew.

-------------
Colin

Posted By: bob d
Date Posted: 15/July/2020 at 15:06
Cooknoe......

Masks to worn in Airport, both departure and arrival plus at all times on the plane. 

Of course your mask can be removed to eat and drink. 

EasyJet are not serving hot food or drinks, however, all other snacks and cold drinks are available. 

EasyJet will advise you to leave completed forms on front or rear seats when you exit and they will hand them to the authorities. I believe these particular forms are to locate you if there are any problems arising from anyone on your flight. 

-------------
we're not brazil we're norn iron

Posted By: Cooknoe
Date Posted: 15/July/2020 at 15:46
Thanks Bob,
Looking forward to getting back over to Portugal. We returned home on 29th February and have had our last two trips cancelled 🇵🇹

Date Posted: 15/July/2020 at 16:15
Yes Cooknoe. Masks on just as you enter airport and not to come off until you are landside and cleared the terminal this end. If you're picking a hire car up, masks back on whilst you sort that.
Yes mask can be pulled down if you are eating or drinking but to go straight back once you've finished.
The Portuguese are far more fastidious that us, the masks are self policing, if you haven't got or its round your neck then rest assured someone will tell you in quite disparaging tones. Same with hand sanitizers, they are everywhere, far more that in UK.

-------------
Andrew

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.15 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2012 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk