Print Page | Close Window

Queue at Faro Airport

Printed From: Albufeira.com
Category: Tourism / Turismo
Forum Name: Local Transportation / Transportes Locais
Forum Description: Bus, Trains, Taxis, Transfer, Driving, ...
URL: https://albufeira.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11171
Printed Date: 23/April/2024 at 14:52
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 10.15 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Queue at Faro Airport
Posted By: Jock
Subject: Queue at Faro Airport
Date Posted: 09/November/2019 at 15:59
Last Thursday about 10:30am I got through security in minutes. It then took 40 mins to get through Passport Control. The queue started in Duty Free. I had reached the airport in plenty time as I'm a twitchy traveller but even so my gate was called only 10 mins after I got through passports.
What a mess.

-------------
It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As pretty as an Airport' appear. Douglas Adams

Replies:
Posted By: Andrew
Date Posted: 09/November/2019 at 17:22
I thought duty free was after passport control?

-------------
Andrew

Posted By: peteknopp
Date Posted: 09/November/2019 at 19:02
is it not security/bag check etc then duty free then passport control?

-------------

Posted By: bebop
Date Posted: 09/November/2019 at 22:03
I also thought duty free was last, where Mulligans bar and coffee shops etc are located.

Posted By: Algarveaddick
Date Posted: 10/November/2019 at 08:38
Unless something has changed since February, you check in/drop bags, go up the escalator, pass through security, down the escalator, left into the duty free/cafe area. Once you have passed through there you turn right and then go through passport control before the gates, don't you? Passport control was certainly after duty free before they enlarged the airport. 

During the remodelling this might have been different, but as far as I am aware it's the case now?     

-------------
Go away Duchatalet

Date Posted: 10/November/2019 at 08:42
No mate, after security, down the escalator to passport control, through the booth, the corridor takes you left and out you pop in... duty free.

-------------
Andrew

Date Posted: 10/November/2019 at 08:45
Ah right - you travel a lot more than me mate. I could have sworn last time we did it we turned left at the bottom on that escalator and straight into duty free.  

-------------
Go away Duchatalet

Posted By: cubsur
Date Posted: 10/November/2019 at 09:46
If you are flying to UK or Ireland you have to go through a passport control before entering the holding pens where the shops and food hall are located. If going to a Schengen country eg France or Germany you bypass that bit.

When I flew to Belfast in October I was through the whole lot in 20 minutes.

-------------
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve

Date Posted: 10/November/2019 at 11:47
Weird.
My experience on Thursday was (1) straight to security (carry on bag), (2) through Duty Free to the shopping area, (3) the 40 min. queue for Passport control, (4) the gate waiting area, (5) Lift to the gate corridor, (6) Escalator down one floor, (7) Airbridge to aircraft.
It was midday and I hadn't had a drop (yet).
Honest.

-------------
It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As pretty as an Airport' appear. Douglas Adams

Posted By: bob d
Date Posted: 10/November/2019 at 20:38
What Andrew says was the way it was last month but from what Jock says it must have changed AGAIN. Doesn’t surprise me. Will report back in a couple of weeks. 

-------------
we're not brazil we're norn iron

Posted By: Windmill Hill Boy
Date Posted: 11/November/2019 at 11:10
It was definitely passport control before Duty Free a fortnight ago (as Andrew said above)and I'm not sure how they could change it to the other way round without a major amount of structural changes and serious disruption.

Posted By: ClaireKildare
Date Posted: 11/November/2019 at 14:03
I travel every month from Dublin from March to September. A few times in July. Once on the way back to Dublin Passport Control was "back" to where it used to be before the renovations, right down in the corner past Costa Coffee, beside the arrivals passport control. That makes send of Jock going up and back down to the gate. The next time we travelled, which would have been 3 or 4 weeks later it was back to normal at the bottom of the escalators before duty free. 

Date Posted: 12/November/2019 at 08:03
Thanks Claire, how did you get down to it from security (assuming that was still upstairs) ?

Date Posted: 12/November/2019 at 08:37
WHB, there are stairs, escalator and a lift for getting down from security to passport control.

-------------
Andrew

Posted By: ClaireKildare
Date Posted: 12/November/2019 at 11:19
We came down the escalators from security into the usual passport control area, the booths were empty and all the doors were open so everyone just walked through to Duty Free. 

Date Posted: 12/November/2019 at 16:39
That will upset UK government no end, not making sure people aren't triple checked before getting on a plane and heading towards their green and pleasant land.

But you have all dutifully filled in your API data when checking in so I guess they know you are coming.

-------------
Albufeira Resident

Posted By: peteknopp
Date Posted: 12/November/2019 at 17:47
Tom, did you not see the recent tv program where 8 ordinary people smuggled 8 dummy asylum seekers into the UK, via 8 different means, without a hitch?!  Triple check my butt!

-------------

Date Posted: 12/November/2019 at 21:42
One thing that puzzles me. There is no passport check by Border Force leaving the UK, only on entry. Why the check leaving Portugal? In other respects we seem to be paranoid about checks.

-------------

Date Posted: 13/November/2019 at 08:05
Thanks Claire that makes sense. I wondered how they would have got from security to the main hall without going down through the (new) passport control and duty free!!

Date Posted: 13/November/2019 at 08:29
"Why the check leaving Portugal?"

The data is probably transmitted to UK Border Force so they know who's coming and can be waiting for you at the other end. Seems a bit of overkill since airlines are required to send API to officialdom.

Possibly also a way to determine if anyone's overstayed their welcome. A bit strange also, since anyone driving to and from Portugal, or travelling by train or coach,  is not subject to the same checks. Evil do-ers obviously travel only by air.

-------------
Albufeira Resident

Date Posted: 13/November/2019 at 12:50
You should have seen the evil doers on my flight last week. A high proportion were, like me, over 70, some well over. You couldn't hear for the clacking of dentures. Many were getting special assistance I presume as they remained in their seat as we disembarked. And a constant queue for the toilets. Ah, the pleasures of old age.

-------------

Date Posted: 13/November/2019 at 19:49
Mmmm...
It could also fall into the category of bureaucracy, seems a bit of that in Portugal, keeps a few jobsworths in employment and the unemployment figures down. Of course it’s none essential, hence sometimes there’s no one there, but when they do turn up, they can draw a wage.
Am I being cynical? Dunno where that’s come from! LOL!

-------------
Andrew

Date Posted: 14/November/2019 at 10:36
UK will also need a large number of new low paid workers once the blue channel at the airports is gone.

-------------
Albufeira Resident

Posted By: bob d
Date Posted: 16/November/2019 at 13:08
What Jock stated is still the same. 

Family members left this morning and told me they had to go through duty free first. 

Passport Control is after duty free where you go to the gates. 

-------------
we're not brazil we're norn iron

Date Posted: 21/November/2019 at 14:26
Thanks Bob.  I was beginning to doubt my memory.  I wonder why and how they change the layout as they clearly do.

-------------

Posted By: Big Col
Date Posted: 19/February/2020 at 08:46
Now that we have left the EU, how are things going through Faro airport either on arrival or departure? Any changes of note?

-------------
Colin

Date Posted: 19/February/2020 at 08:58
No - not yet. End of the year we will see, Col. 

-------------
Go away Duchatalet

Posted By: pyrman
Date Posted: 19/February/2020 at 10:10
Just as busy as normal ... six flights arrived between 0845 and 9.30 today ... two British, two German, one Dutch, one Canadian (hope you had a wee sleep) ..  check here

https://www.aeroportofaro.pt/en/fao/flights-destinations/find-flights/real-time-arrivals" rel="nofollow - https://www.aeroportofaro.pt/en/fao/flights-destinations/find-flights/real-time-arrivals

-------------
Pyrman

Date Posted: 20/February/2020 at 09:33
Originally posted by Big Col Big Col wrote:

Now that we have left the EU, how are things going through Faro airport either on arrival or departure? Any changes of note?

Departure for UK bound travellers is already set up for the special pre flight identity checks needed to enter the country. Likewise waiting to show passports on arrival, which those coming from Schengen countries do not.

The only likely change at either end is if customs import limits and inspections are re-introduced. Those of a certain age will remember when you could only take back 200 fags and the red and green channels. Nothing to declare, sir?

-------------
Albufeira Resident

Date Posted: 20/February/2020 at 10:45
I suppose that means goods into UK can be duty free but on a much reduced limit.  The bottle and cigarette shops will feel the draft.  'erindoors will not be pleased.

-------------

Date Posted: 21/February/2020 at 08:20
Theoretically yes, limits for alcohol and tobacco could be the same as they are now when entering UK from a non-EU country,  but stuff bought at the airport by UK-bound travellers could be tax free.  I wouldn't base holiday plans on that premise.

We shall see.

-------------
Albufeira Resident

Posted By: pyrman
Date Posted: 21/February/2020 at 12:11
Four flights in from France between 2pm and 3pm ... their mid-term school holidays mostly.

-------------
Pyrman

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.15 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2012 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk