Print Page | Close Window

Hearing only bad news - Albufeira

Printed From: Albufeira.com
Category: Tourism / Turismo
Forum Name: Algarve
Forum Description: Questions related to the Region... / Questões sobre o Algarve
URL: https://albufeira.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11060
Printed Date: 23/April/2024 at 07:19
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 10.15 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Hearing only bad news - Albufeira
Posted By: Alamo68
Subject: Hearing only bad news - Albufeira
Date Posted: 19/June/2019 at 12:58
Some of my work colleagues have recently returned from Hols in the Albufeira area with there families. The reports are concerning to say the least. The number of Stag and Hen parties in and around the old town is out of control. The strip is a right off for families as the behaviour of these people is frightening. Drug taking is done openly and seems freely sold in all bars. Taxi drivers are telling tourist that it is getting worse.
I am due to visit Portugal this Sept/Oct after a one year gap.Surely it cannot have gone down hill, to this degree. I love Portugal- Its beaches- food - people but I am not prepared to expose my family to this. Would some of the regulars on here be prepared to give there honest opinion on this. I do know that other resorts can and do get this type of tourist but have Portugal opened its doors to every Scum bag/drub dealer with open arms.

regards

Replies:
Posted By: ClaireKildare
Date Posted: 19/June/2019 at 14:15
There is a long thread on Albufeira forum on Trip Advisor running along this topic. A lot of this forum members are also on that.  https://www.tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g189112-i331-k12626279-First_time-Albufeira_Faro_District_Algarve. - https://www.tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g189112-i331-k12626279-First_time-Albufeira_Faro_District_Algarve.html

There have always been stag/hen parties they peak around April/May and October, when prices are lower. This year has been no worse that any other as far as I can see, I was in Albufeira in Feb, March, April, and May and back over this Sunday. The strip is for the party crowd, i would not bring a young family there, but I would not bring them to Temple Bar on a Saturday night either.

My honest opinion is yes there are crowds of drunks around some weekends, probably not in high season, but Albufeira is big enough to avoid them as they tend to hang in the same areas.  There is the train of thought that we all should be able to wander around without having "no-go" areas, but also if people want to spend their time and money drinking all day that is their choice.

We bought an apartment in the Old Town in 2011 and are there increasingly as our family grew up, I love it there, feel completely safe. Never been offered drugs.

Choose your accommodation carefully. Avoid the Strip. You'll be fine.

Posted By: Algarveaddick
Date Posted: 19/June/2019 at 14:22
Of course Portugal has opened it's doors to every scumbag and drug dealer with open arms. Have you not seen the adverts "Are you a scum bag or a drug dealer? Then Portugal's the place for you!" 

Kidding of course, but it was my first reaction to your somewhat hysterical post - I mean "Drug taking is done openly and seems freely sold in all bars.". Your colleagues went to every single bar in Albufeira and witnessed drugs being sold? Really? 

There are undoubtedly many groups of stags and hens this time of year - people get married in spring and summer - and some are rowdy. Where you set your bar of what is acceptable and what is not is very much down to the individual. It wont be as busy with those groups in September. 

The problem is that families keep supporting all-inclusive resorts and spend little outside, so the bar and restaurant owners need these groups to survive, otherwise the families would have nowhere to go on their once-a-week jaunt out. 

There are plenty of places to go away from the Strip and the Square, I live here and almost never venture into the tourist trap places, and we go to lots of different bars and restaurants where none of this supposed outrageous behaviour occurs.       

-------------
Go away Duchatalet

Posted By: Big Col
Date Posted: 19/June/2019 at 14:43
My wife and I are regular visitors and have just come back from our latest holiday. We prefer the Old Town and over the years there have been some changes which you would expect.

There are more stag and hen groups in the Old Town whereas previously they were more often confined to the Strip. However we didn't find them obtrusive or offensive. There are certainly more visitors wearing all inclusive wristbands with the inevitable knock on effect that has on restaurants and bars.

We have never seen or been offered drugs (perhaps we don't look the type!) and trust me, we do visit bars.

These gradual changes have not changed our view of Albufeira where we've made many friends and we too will be back in September/October.

Looking forward to it as always.

-------------
Colin

Posted By: Andrew
Date Posted: 19/June/2019 at 15:30
Totally agree with the three responses above, who ever is pedalling that sort of news is wide of the mark, ourselves, family and friends feel totally safe/comfortable in the Old Town, the atmosphere is great.
As with all busy or large numbers of people in close proximity, you need common sense, like close your hand bag, don't have your wallet sticking out of your back pocket but that's the same the World over.
Other than that it's as fine as it ever was.
I too have never been offered drugs, I have been offered many Rolex but I think they're fake!

-------------
Andrew

Posted By: RytonTyne
Date Posted: 19/June/2019 at 15:41
Totally agree with Big Col's post, we have been going to the old town for over 25 years and have seen nothing which would put me off going there. We also go Sept/Oct time and always drink, and eat in the many different bars and restaurants.

Posted By: tonisdad
Date Posted: 19/June/2019 at 16:03
I will be honest. Yes Albufeira has gone very much downhill over the past 15+ years we have visitedl/ived here. May until September is murder.
We even avoid flights on a weekend back and forth to UK.
Would I bring family on holiday here....Not in a month of Sundays.
If it had been like it is now when we first visited we would have never come back. The weekends are terrible. The weekend starts on a Thursday some weeks. A stroll down the old town is met with crowds of drunks.Birthdays/stags/hens seeing who can shout and swear the loudest. The strip is like Magaluf.....That is all day and most of the night on a weekend.
If you are in a hotel where there happens to be two or more parties more so opposite sexes you might as well not bother stopping around the pool and take ear plugs if you want sleep on a night.
It is OK saying you can avoid them but most people want to be where the crowds are.....it is inevitable that is where the loud mouth drunks want to be as well.
Regarding drugs every time I walk down the strip or go to the market I get offered drugs....well what`s supposed to be drugs.I am told that is because I look dodgey. But I have not seen them being taken openly.
On the bright side it will soon be October when the place becomes a lovely place to live and holiday.
Mind the way the hotels and people who rent apartments out keep putting up prices it might soon return to being a good family resort.
Oh and by the way I am far from being a prude I can swill it down my neck like rest of them but I have never got this we are in a gang lets be obnoxious thing.

Date Posted: 19/June/2019 at 16:54
Originally posted by RytonTyne RytonTyne wrote:

Totally agree with Big Col's post, we have been going to the old town for over 25 years and have seen nothing which would put me off going there. We also go Sept/Oct time and always drink, and eat in the many different bars and restaurants.

And with a username from my home town we could almost be neighbours 👍

-------------
Colin

Date Posted: 19/June/2019 at 17:02
Thanks Tonisdad for your honest reply. I have seen similar replies on Trip advisor.

Posted By: RytonTyne
Date Posted: 19/June/2019 at 17:51
We have never been in high season Big Col, many years ago we went beginning of July and walking down bar street and through the square, you could hardly walk it was so busy so we decided it would have to be early or later in the year, and have done that ever since. The only thing I seem to get hassled with is the gypsies selling table cloths! Roll on September. The weather is usually 100% better than Ryton, with probably more chance of being offered an illegal substance here as well

Date Posted: 19/June/2019 at 18:09
Originally posted by Alamo68 Alamo68 wrote:

Thanks Tonisdad for your honest reply. I have seen similar replies on Trip advisor.

Well, you had already made your mind up then. What was the point in posting? 

However, I sincerely hope wherever you decide to go instead is great, and that you and the family have a good time. 

-------------
Go away Duchatalet

Date Posted: 19/June/2019 at 18:25
As advised by Claiekildare

Posted By: mrandyd
Date Posted: 19/June/2019 at 18:41
We have been going for 25 years, staying in the new town/strip end of the resort and over the years gradually moving towards the old town, yes there are a lot more bars than there used to be, but I really think Albufeira hasn’t intrinsically changed too much, just that we have changed by getting older and prefer a little less of a wild night out, (most of the time😀)

Date Posted: 19/June/2019 at 19:23
Originally posted by Alamo68 Alamo68 wrote:

Thanks Tonisdad for your honest reply.

I would assume everyones posts are their honest reflection on Albufeira, mine certainly was.

Obviously views will vary not least due to your age, whereabouts in Albufeira you frequent, tastes and preferences, etc. Our preference is the Old Town and avoiding July/August. The latter not just because the town gets busier (where doesn't) but because the temperature is too hot for us and the flights and accommodation are more expensive.

In the last few years we've come across in late March, June and late September often with a two centre format exploring other parts of the Algarve.

-------------
Colin

Date Posted: 19/June/2019 at 20:02
Thanks Big Col. I take on board every view expressed on here. Reason we are going Sept/Oct is the heat and less crowds. When kids were younger we did May/June and now a bit older as mentioned .

Posted By: Super__Ally
Date Posted: 19/June/2019 at 22:41
My wife and I are in our early 70's (Both OAP's) We stayed for the first week in June this year. It was the week England were playing at the football championships. Our first 5 days were bliss until 12 ''Lads'' from Sheffield arrived at our hotel. Their language and behavior was very very poor to say the least. The day after England lost a game they drank continually all day and eventually had the pool to themselves as everyone else went elsewhere. A round of beer was 12 x 5 euros so the chap manning the pool bar wasn't going to complain. Neither would the hotel management. We will not be returning to this hotel again.   

-------------
Ally

Posted By: runningman73
Date Posted: 20/June/2019 at 00:04
Honest opinion. 25yr ago we all might have been the young folk getting let loose for a couple of weeks. 
However, haven't been in Albufeira for 18mths, but a couple of time I was walking down the strip, mid afternoon and got offered drugs (hassish) . Not interested, I was on a march for a pint.
Coming back in couple of weeks, staying at Corcovada.

Date Posted: 20/June/2019 at 09:33
Ally ... “We will not be returning to this hotel again.”. Neither would I at €5 a beer, that’s rip off!
Take your point about the laddish behaviour but seriously why would you pay that when it’s readily available at less than half that?

-------------
Andrew

Posted By: Jock
Date Posted: 20/June/2019 at 11:20
I prefer first hand reports which the original post was not.
Perhaps the only "honest opinion" is one that agrees with preconceptions of the OP.
Or he may be a wind-up merchant or troll.

-------------
It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As pretty as an Airport' appear. Douglas Adams

Date Posted: 20/June/2019 at 14:58
Andrew, I did not and would not pay that price for a beer. But they did. Desperado beer I think. 

-------------
Ally

Date Posted: 20/June/2019 at 16:20
Gotcha, understand. 👍

-------------
Andrew

Posted By: tiganut
Date Posted: 21/June/2019 at 07:24
I have owned a property since 2008,dont get out there enough,but when I do,I use bars,& restaurants away from the strip,Bar Street,etc,as these are not my thing.Try Windmill Hill area,or the Marina.Lots of family friendly places to go.

-------------
He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins

Posted By: dave
Date Posted: 21/June/2019 at 08:57
My wife and I spend 6 months of the year in albufeira and has been said on here there is enough bars around to avoid the stag and hen parties also more and more bars in the old town will not cater for stag and hen parties

Date Posted: 21/June/2019 at 22:03
Dave
How do you avoid them in your hotel and at the hotel pool.?

-------------
Ally

Posted By: hamlet
Date Posted: 22/June/2019 at 01:15
You are being very harsh.
I don't think for one minute the Management of the Hotel you were in would have been happy with 12 slobs chasing away their normal trade of regulars round the pool.
It seems unfortunately to be no different behaviour to almost any large Town or City in the U.K. at the moment.
Have you been into Edinburgh City for a refreshment (by the way, a pint at The Royal Highland Show this week is £5.00)after a Hibs V Hearts Derby or even worse, Glasgow after our two have played. I wouldn't go near Glasgow. Similarly I wouldn't go near the Strip at week-ends.
You like me are old enough to remember our "great" supporters by- annual treck to London taking a wee dip in the fountain at Nelsons Column. Same behaviour, different generation.
To some of the other posters, we have to get real, drugs are with us,
whether we like or not, and there is a ready market with cash flush youngsters and sometime not so young. No where is immune.
It will not stop me continuing to return on holiday
Rant over

Date Posted: 22/June/2019 at 10:18
You think I am being harsh by not returning to a hotel that did not care about its customers? What would you have me do. Book again with this hotel and waste another holiday? Not me, once bitten twice shy as they say. 
I am in the process of booking again for September (we go to Albufeira 3 times per year January, June and September) and have noticed that a fair few of the hotels have statements in their adverts that they do NOT accept ''Stag'' or ''Hen'' parties. I will select one of these hotels for my next holiday.
You actually give fuel to my statement when you say ''you would not go near the Strip at the week-ends'' or Edinburgh or Glasgow at certain times. 
YOU have been driven away from these places by bad behavior. 

Your point about drugs is another issue and I will let others who know more about it than me comment.  

-------------
Ally

Posted By: LIBBY
Date Posted: 22/June/2019 at 13:45
We were in the Santa Eulalia area in May / June of this year.
We felt there was an obvious reduction in the number of British stags/hens in the area and an increase in the number of couples with young families, which was refreshing to see (maybe due to the attraction of the all inclusive hotels in the area).
We don’t really visit bars often but did go a few times to watch the football and soak up the atmosphere. We went to the Rockline bar, Hangover bar and Sol cafe. There were groups (of mostly middle aged men) in the Rockline and Hangover bars (no stags/hens), and some were, as you would expect, a little tipsy and a bit loud. They were a bit annoying but not bad enough to make us want to leave. The Sol cafe was more family orientated and quieter.

We generally avoid the strip at night time as it is just too busy, too noisy and too expensive for us (and to be honest, we are just too old ). The old saying “If you can’t stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen” applies to us.
The strip (excluding the Montechoro area), is perfect for those who enjoy “boom boom” bars, clubbing and crazy night life. It’s what some people come on holiday to do and I respect that....and the bar owners make a good income from them.

Since the Old Town square was renovated / modernised a number of years ago, it lost its quaintness for me. The number of “lively” bars opening I believe has led to a change in the type of holidaymakers attracted to the old town. These things happen, some call it progress.

I think it’s part of the attraction of Albufeira, that it is large enough to cater for all its tourists. It is just a question of being selective in respect of your choice of location and accommodation and realising that everyone has a different opinion of what makes a “perfect holiday”

-------------
Algarve - The closest thing to heaven !

Date Posted: 22/June/2019 at 16:13
Libby.
No stags in the Rockline???
Friday afternoon and Saturday morning/lunch is full of them I think it is until they get their bearings and work their way to the strip
Go over the otherside of the roundabout in general you might get a crowd having one passing through but...hoefully it stays that way...that is it.

Date Posted: 22/June/2019 at 16:25
I was going to mention this, Libby beat me to it.. “There were groups (of mostly middle aged men)”...
Yes, and I’ll wager, for the original posters benefit, they aren’t out of control stag do’s, they’re here playing golf, having a good time and bringing money into the local economy.
We’ve had two nights in past week in the old town, we saw one hen party and they were good fun, three groups of men, as above, golfers, loads of family’s, young, old, great atmosphere, live music, street entertainers.
What we didn’t see was any drug taking, drug selling “in every bar”... not saying drugs are none existent just reporting my first hand experience.
I suggest to the original poster, it appears you’d made your mind up before posting, my advice to you is don’t come to Albufeira, you’re in a no win situation so book elsewhere and I sincerely wish you a great holiday wherever you go.
Bottom line though, Albufeira is not the place you have been misinformed to believe it is, your loss, but do enjoy wherever you do book for your hols.

-------------
Andrew

Date Posted: 22/June/2019 at 16:33
Originally posted by dave dave wrote:

My wife and I spend 6 months of the year in albufeira and has been said on here there is enough bars around to avoid the stag and hen parties also more and more bars in the old town will not cater for stag and hen parties
The thing is Dave for us who are fortunate enough to reside here all/most of the year we can find somewhere that suits us by trial and error. 
If somebody is bringing their kids on holiday and all of a sudden find most/a lot of bars or cafes are full of drunk people bellowing and cussing it is not a nice experience for them.
They have saved long and hard all year to hopefully have a good time then find themselves surrounded by gob*****s because that is basically what they are because they are in a gang.
A bit like Linthorpe Road on a Friday Saturday night LOL
They do not want to be hidden away in backstreet bar where they feel safer. They want to be in the throng where the entertainment is.
The thing is it is not only Albufeira it is everywhere, it just seems that is what society is now.
And it is not only Brits last year the Dutch seemed to get a kick out of bending road sign poles backwards and forwards until they snapped at the bottom.
Soon be October and we can have the place to ourselves!
By the way UTB Wink.

Date Posted: 22/June/2019 at 16:37
[QUOTE=Andrew]I was going to mention this, Libby beat me to it.. “There were groups (of mostly middle aged men)”.../QUOTE]

Who should know better and should be ashamed of themselves. If it was their wives and children and drunks were performing in front of them. They would no doubt be the first muttering to the wife.

Date Posted: 22/June/2019 at 16:42
I think you’ve misunderstood me. The groups of guys I’m referring to were impeccably behaved, I certainly didn’t say or infer “drunks”.

-------------
Andrew

Date Posted: 22/June/2019 at 19:41
Originally posted by Andrew Andrew wrote:

I think you’ve misunderstood me. The groups of guys I’m referring to were impeccably behaved, I certainly didn’t say or infer “drunks”.

I did yes...That would make for a pleasant change.

Date Posted: 23/June/2019 at 11:16
This is getting good! 
UTB eh? Have the cojones to spell out plainly what you are saying. Text speak on a forum is for the teens.

-------------
It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As pretty as an Airport' appear. Douglas Adams

Date Posted: 23/June/2019 at 11:26
Originally posted by Jock Jock wrote:

This is getting good! 
UTB eh? Have the cojones to spell out plainly what you are saying. Text speak on a forum is for the teens.

The person is from Teesside and if they are into football they will know what UTB means......Of course going by your username football will not be strong topic for you.

Date Posted: 24/June/2019 at 12:45
Oooh........!
I'm crushed!
TTFN

-------------

Posted By: tiganut
Date Posted: 25/June/2019 at 07:48
UTB,I had to look that upWink

-------------
He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins

Date Posted: 02/July/2019 at 22:16
For some good news go here

https://www.webcamtaxi.com/en/portugal/algarve/restaurant-hollandaise-albufeira.html" rel="nofollow - https://www.webcamtaxi.com/en/portugal/algarve/restaurant-hollandaise-albufeira.html

Hollandaise camera is working again 

-------------
Ally

Posted By: Gazza
Date Posted: 02/July/2019 at 23:19
It's been a few years since I've viewed this.   Thumbs Up

Posted By: cheekygirl
Date Posted: 03/July/2019 at 09:50
Returning to Albuferia after a few years. I hope things aren't as bad as SOME people say 😱

-------------
Loving it in the sun

Date Posted: 03/July/2019 at 10:13
Originally posted by tiganut tiganut wrote:

UTB,I had to look that upWink

LOL...Sorry laughing out loud...Not something we like to shout about in the present situation.

Posted By: Linda
Date Posted: 04/July/2019 at 10:06
Personally I woudn't stay in Albufeira Old town area - it's too crowded and busy for me. The Strip I would avoid - not my scene at all. 
There are other places around Albufeira - Olhos d Agua is more to my taste - smaller, prettier, quieter,  and even at busy times when it's high season it's not too overcrowded and I don't see any hoards of obnoxious drunks there. 

Posted By: Chloe
Date Posted: 04/July/2019 at 13:53
I have got to agree with everything Tonisdad has said about Albufeira. It has changed so much over the years and not for the better. This week pictures were posted on Facebook, taken by someone who lives here. One was of two grossly overweight men with their backsides hanging out of skimpy clothing. The other was of a group of lads presumably on a stag party as one of them was dressed in only a pair of flip flops. Not a stitch on. Is this the sort of thing you want to be faced with when you go out? Do you want your young children seeing this type of behaviour. I am a married woman ( and have been for many years) but I don't want to see someone's bits and pieces on display. I am afraid the Mayor of Albufeira needs to see what is happening to the town and put a stop to it. Exhibitionist behaviour has no place in what should be a family resort.

Posted By: cubsur
Date Posted: 04/July/2019 at 20:13
Fear not, the summer police reinforcements will soon be arriving. These are the hard lot from Lisbon. They park their vans in the potential trouble spots. Woe betide anyone overstepping the mark with them around.

We were all young once (really) and I am sure we did some pretty stupid things after a couple of pints.  As usual it's just a few who cause real problems. A good whack with a baton would sort them out. Maybe a bit of tear gas. Hang 'em and flog 'em, that's what I say. Big smile

I have also spotted 'no stags or hens' signs on a couple of bars where I've not not seen them before.

Meanwhile I am shortly off for some charming, witty and intelligent company for a few hours.  Not telling you!

-------------
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve

Date Posted: 04/July/2019 at 21:27
Chloe, in old town?
Tom, that whack with a baton, hope it’s on the old Crown Jewels! 😂😂😂

-------------
Andrew

Posted By: Jayjan
Date Posted: 04/July/2019 at 22:28
Andrew the photo Chloe is on about was taken on The Strip in the daytime , next door to Hot Shots Bar. Absolutely disgraceful, as she said one guy was completely naked. Luckily he was  only showing his backside to the world. One wonders if he walked down the strip like that before he reached the bar or he took his shorts off afterwards. If the bar staff of the bar had any moral standards they wouldn't have served them. But hey ho they don't seem to care as long as money is going in the till.The other photo posted was  a guy with a G string type thing on walking down the strip near Hotel Aldeia. Not a nice thing for folks walking about  to see, especially if they have young kids with them.

-------------
Polli the dancing cat strikes again.

Date Posted: 05/July/2019 at 11:44
Like I have said before, if the families start spending money instead of going AI, I am sure the bars would prefer them to stags and hens.  

-------------
Go away Duchatalet

Date Posted: 05/July/2019 at 13:00
Until someone does something about the number of AI then families are always going to use them. Greece restricted the number of AI accommodations there could be because of the impact they have on local trade and businesses. The bar owners are the only ones benefitting from the lewd behaviour of the stags and hens. They are quite happy to continue to pour drink down their throats even when they have had more than enough. Personally, I think that Albufeira hasn't gone into the gutter, it has gone down the sewer and until the crap is removed from the sewer it will continue to fester and the bad behaviour will escalate.

Why don't the police do something about the way the stags in particular behave and dress ( or not). If this was in the UK they would be charged with indecent exposure and hauled up in court. How would people feel if persons from other countries walked about their seaside towns (un)dressed like they were in the recently posted photos? I bet you they would complain bitterly and something would be done.

Date Posted: 05/July/2019 at 13:40
Don't disagree with your first four sentences Chloe, or the final paragraph. But this:  "... think that Albufeira hasn't gone into the gutter, it has gone down the sewer and until the crap is removed from the sewer it will continue to fester and the bad behaviour will escalate." Is a vast exaggeration and the escalate part is without foundation - why would a couple of stags in mankinis lead to every male group holidaymaker waring the same? 

Nobody forces families to go AI - and some of the reports we hear of the behaviour of people on AI (albeit mostly contained within the hotels) are not too clever either. Including that of people with their children in tow.   

-------------
Go away Duchatalet

Date Posted: 05/July/2019 at 15:32
Thanks for the info Polly, I haven’t seen those photos but agree nudity in such a place is totally out of order, on a known nudist beach is different, but a Main Street in a main stream holiday resort is totally out of order. What I find equally abhorrent is that people will serve them, yes they want money in tills but the presence of someone flashing his tackle would surely turn more away than that single group are going to pay in.
Equally astounding, where are the Police? People behaving and dressing like that should be straight down the nick and in the cell overnight, can’t believe the usually over zealous authorities aren’t all over this.
And one final one, I’d have thought any right minded person seeing it would give them a piece of their mind, even if they’ve all been on the lash there is surely somebody in the group who would have the sense to see it’s upsetting folks and they’ve gone too far and address (no pun intended) the situation.

-------------
Andrew

Date Posted: 06/July/2019 at 14:23
It is quite amusing how AI seems to be getting the blame for gangs of drunks in Albufeira.
Are all the hotels now AI?
If so where do the stags/hens/Birthday gangs stay.
Ok we stop the all inclusive in Albuferia who are the bar owners going to prefer 40 off their face lads or lasses drinking themselves senseless who the bar staff can rip off....Don`t say that does not happen. Or half a dozen Mr.& Mrs Average & 2 kids spending about 25 Euro per family.
Sorry the place is cheap to get to now the drink no more expensive than your average resort in UK Netherlands Germany France or Sweden and it it warmer enabling idiots to walk around with their bits out......Mind some you see I would be keeping it covered up myself.
Chloe will the police do a lot I would think not because the GNR will no doubt be in the pocket of the people who own most of the bigger bars.

Posted By: peteknopp
Date Posted: 06/July/2019 at 14:32
The police and council are so out of touch with tourism as to be unable to imlement a few local by laws to stamp out bad behaviour. Big hunting, fishing, tourism fair at marina - got a rave review from a tourist for the horse show, dancing, food and live music - but in one marquee are racks of shotguns, stuffed wildlife etc prmoting hunting. I mean WTF kind of impression are they trying to show the tourists - for once an event as far away from streets closed lycra clad cycling events as to be a real positve but the whole scenario needs to be thought through a bit better.

-------------

Date Posted: 07/July/2019 at 09:22
Originally posted by tonisdad tonisdad wrote:

It is quite amusing how AI seems to be getting the blame for gangs of drunks in Albufeira.
Are all the hotels now AI?
If so where do the stags/hens/Birthday gangs stay.
Ok we stop the all inclusive in Albuferia who are the bar owners going to prefer 40 off their face lads or lasses drinking themselves senseless who the bar staff can rip off....Don`t say that does not happen. Or half a dozen Mr.& Mrs Average & 2 kids spending about 25 Euro per family.
Sorry the place is cheap to get to now the drink no more expensive than your average resort in UK Netherlands Germany France or Sweden and it it warmer enabling idiots to walk around with their bits out......Mind some you see I would be keeping it covered up myself.
Chloe will the police do a lot I would think not because the GNR will no doubt be in the pocket of the people who own most of the bigger bars.

As I am the only one suggesting that AI is a factor (not "[to] blame"), I will take that as aimed at me Paul. 

If I have not expressed myself properly, then that is my fault, although I thought agreeing with everything Chloe posted on July 5th except one sentence would have made clear that I am not "blaming" AI. It is a factor. 

You say "Are all the hotels now AI? If so where do the stags/hens/Birthday gangs stay." Well, actually I expect a lot of them do stay at AI hotels - there is nothing preventing them from doing so, is there? They quite possibly get blathered at the hotel and then, once tanked up, hit the streets. The two are not mutually exclusive, are they?

But in answer to your question, no they are not all AI, but those that are, are often where families end up, and then stay. It is the UK travel agents that push the hotels into AI, as they themselves try to respond to people doing DIY holidays and their subsequent loss of commission.  

I will try and explain what I am trying to put across as simply as I can.

Thousands of families used to come to Albufeira and spend €500 a week in bars and restaurants. 80% of them now spend an extra €200 (or whatever) to go AI, and then spend €100 in bars and restaurants (Bs and Rs). 

That leaves Bs and Rs with a shortfall of about €320 per family - I am factoring in that 20% of families still spend €500.

How do 600 to 800 Bs and Rs stay open with such a large shortfall, which is absolutely no fault of theirs? 

Naturally they look elsewhere for business. 

The non-UK/Ireland market is no good, most of them self cater. 

The restaurants offer very good value tourist menus, but there is only so low you can go, and Mr & Mrs Average and their 2.4 children still stay in their hotel and eat the dinner they have already paid for.

The answer seems to be stags and hens. I am sure if anyone has another suggestion as to where that shortfall can be made up, most places would lap it up?

If they did not cater for these groups, then many places would have to close, many people would be out of work, and on the one night the AI guests decide to venture out they would come across a ghost town, rather than one in 5000 people wearing a thong...

Also - as has been suggested by others - once the school holidays start, the price is too high for the single sex parties, so over the next couple of weeks as families arrive the numbers of stags and hens dives. As do bar profits. 

And finally, as someone who has worked in and around bars in Albufeira for 15 years, I can assure you that, whilst some absent owners might like the groups more than families, the staff and most owners most certainly do not. Drunks are a total pain in the 'arris - be they in groups or, as I came across last night, a drunken female pensioner bothering other customers (a group of lads as it happened). No one wants to deal with them, Paul, no one wants to clean up the loo after they have been in, or clean up their puke outside the bar, or tell them you are not going to serve them when they turn up drunk, having been asked to leave somewhere else.

The "blame" is with the people themselves. But other factors do come into play, including the impossibility of competing with AI.                     

-------------
Go away Duchatalet

Date Posted: 07/July/2019 at 14:40
No AA not aimed at you regards all inclusive it is other places that also blame all inclusive when they have a quiet night. I don`t think when you see the strip Friday Saturday morning/afternoon they are all inclusive stayers.
At the end of the day it is the bar owners GNR local Government whoever who has let Albufeira end up in the situation it is in now....That is taken over by drunken idiots for a quick buck.When they have moved on to the next hot spot and familes have given upon the place then where will they be?
I agree thousands of families used to come to Albufeira....I think many of them thousands come see what it is like now and never come again. I have said before I would hate to think I was coming to Albufeira with young kids now for a holiday I had worked and saved all year for.

Date Posted: 07/July/2019 at 20:43
Taken over by drunken idiots? really? That hasn't been my experience in the main although I do visit outwith July & August.  Certainly I have seen some but where will you not?  The strip I can't speak of as in the evening I stick to the old town.  I did see one clown wearing a mankini and, as has been said, that was too much.  For me Albufeira is still a pleasant and safe place to visit.

-------------

Date Posted: 07/July/2019 at 22:51

Taken over by drunken idiots? really? That hasn't been my experience in the main although I do visit outwith July & August.  Certainly I have seen some but where will you not?  The strip I can't speak of as in the evening I stick to the old town.  I did see one clown wearing a mankini and, as has been said, that was too much.  For me Albufeira is still a pleasant and safe place to visit.

Yes I agree Jock, Albufeira is as you say pleasant and safe most of the time
The problem is when you eventually bump into the stags and hens it becomes the opposite. 
Our worst experience was a few years ago when we stayed in the Forte do Vale. There were 12 blokes all dressed as women, which they did all day every day. Dresses, high heels and make up. How they thought it was amusing or funny I will never know. 
We have never tried AI and never will. We prefer to eat out at our favourite restaurants. 
Roll on October when we will be back for visit number 4 for 2019.     

-------------
Ally

Posted By: pyrman
Date Posted: 08/July/2019 at 12:31
There is absolutely no evidence of any substantial numbers `never coming again` ... the city is growing ... there are more and more people here now .. and will be in future. For some people the glass is always half empty ..

-------------
Pyrman

Date Posted: 08/July/2019 at 15:26
Originally posted by pyrman pyrman wrote:

There is absolutely no evidence of any substantial numbers `never coming again` ... the city is growing ... there are more and more people here now .. and will be in future. For some people the glass is always half empty ..

No evidence of people not coming back? Portugal News reported in the last few months that Brits visiting were down 250,000. Where are they if there is no evidence of none-returners?? Why are there still vacancies for accommodation for July and August?. Lots of posts on Facebook asking for accommodation for these months an replies galore saying where they are. I know of property managers who have had their season start a month later than other years. Corcovada is nowhere near as packed as it has been in previous years.

Date Posted: 09/July/2019 at 09:52
While once again I agree with Chloe, the reason for the decline in the number of Brits isn't just the stags and hens. 

-------------
Go away Duchatalet

Date Posted: 09/July/2019 at 10:47
Every now and again I see reports in the UK press that Brits are booking fewer holidays in the EU this year. Many say it's because of brexit. I don't know what their evidence is for this. Why would Brexit make us stay away? So long as we have a valid passport and adequate insurance (and money) then any decision or none in October wont stop us having a good holiday.

-------------

Date Posted: 09/July/2019 at 12:31
Because many people are of limited intelligence. 
And in fairness the lack of any clear indication on what will happen post Brexit - or indeed if it ever happens. People like to know what they are getting into.  

-------------
Go away Duchatalet

Date Posted: 09/July/2019 at 12:55
The scare stories around Brexit haven't helped. You got airlines saying that they wouldn't be flying from the UK to Europe and people feared that if they travelled before Brexit happened then they could get stuck where ever they happened to be at the time.

On a slightly different note, the shops in the UK haven't been as busy as they usually are. You can go into any supermarket at any time of the day and there not be a lot of people around. Town centres are the same. I think confidence has been knocked with the rubbish that is Brexit. Last summer was good in the UK weatherwise and I think a lot of people are banking on that again. Plus there have been a lot of closures resulting in people losing their jobs. All this comes together to make for a not pretty picture. Still doesn't solve the questionof stags and hens turning some areas into mobile porn shows.

Posted By: cheekygirl
Date Posted: 12/July/2019 at 09:40
Been on Albuferia 5 days now. Only been on Strip in daytime. Was fairly quiet. Been old town daytime and evening very busy. No sign of any trouble. Just glad to be back here after about 4 years 🙂

-------------
Loving it in the sun

Posted By: pyrman
Date Posted: 13/July/2019 at 12:09
Welcome back ... we missed you ...

-------------
Pyrman

Date Posted: 13/July/2019 at 18:38
Just read this in The Algarve Resident online paper...   https://www.portugalresident.com/2019/07/13/sex-drugs-and-violence-brits-in-albufeira/

-------------

Date Posted: 13/July/2019 at 22:48
But those of us that live in Albufeira or visit very often, know this is garbage. That article quotes first names only, that in itself makes it questionable, as in its integrity as in reliable reporting.
Yes there’s a very disturbing photo, but that happens all over the globe, doesn’t make it right, equally it shouldn’t condemn one resort.
I also should point out all these “shock horror” events that people are saying are cause for us to abandon the place and run to the the hills are from one specific area if not street.
Having read, and read again this thread, I think some of those contributing are giving a very unfair take on Albufeira, maybe there’s an ulterior motive but I have to question some of the motives of some of the posters on this thread.
Tens of thousands visit the resort, hundreds post on here and now we have two or three posting negativity and it’s become a major thread. What a shame.
Ho hum, I’m off to enjoy the beautiful, family friendly town that is Albufeira. 👍👍👍

-------------
Andrew

Date Posted: 13/July/2019 at 23:43
Andrew it aint garbage, loads of photos on facebook albufeira pages over the last few weeks of the same thing happening. How often do you visit the strip, daytime or evenings, as  it's true these things are  now happening.So sad this is happening. We have been on the strip area in daytime and occasionally at nightime and this is happening. Last year we passed Matts Bar on the strip, a guy  falling off the bull machine near enough naked, not nice to see if you have families with kids, luckily we didn't have our grandkids with us as I would have been horrified. One of the main reasons we now very rarely visit the strip and stay outside the area..I know its seasonal with stags and hens but it is getting out of control and the authorities need to get it sorted. Seems they are all coming from Magaluf  since the authorities banned this problem. Send em back I say, we don't need them.

-------------

Date Posted: 14/July/2019 at 08:53

hundreds post on here

Just a tad little bit of exaggeration there Andrew. I assume I am one of the two or three posting negativity..Why?
The original poster asked for honest opinions as to whether Albufeira is family friendly place....In my honest opinion no. I would not bring my family to Albufeira if I wanted to be in the mix of things. Some peoples opinions may differ they may not be bothered about going for something to eat lets say and then being surrounded by cussing yobs. Walking down the streets battling through drunks even during the day for at least 3 days of the week.Going sunbathing at the hotel for the loudmouths to appear and take over the pool area.
Yes this happens all over the globe but the original poster wasn`t asking about that they were asking about Albufeira.
A lot of tourists think they are coming to a romantic Portuguese holiday resort where they are going to sit eating sardines in the moonlight while gentle music plays in the background....You know like 20 years ago.
One thing I will say the new newspaper report that has appeared slating the Brits has forgot to mention the Dutch German French and the few Spanish that spend money are not far behind in the nuisance stakes.
At least this thread has led to a bit of discussion on here for the "hundreds" of posters.I have had my say I am finished.
Off to swimming baths now with Grandaughter then hopfully watch England thrash the Kiwis!

Date Posted: 14/July/2019 at 09:04
Thanks for the last two posts which I think do confirm this is all about one street, The Strip.
Why tar the whole of Albufeira with that brush? There is far more to Albufeira than The Strip... Old Town, Sesmarias, Gale, Vale Rabelho, Olos de Agua, Pateo... and many, many more where you can eat your sardines in peace under the moonlight with nice background music.

-------------
Andrew

Date Posted: 15/July/2019 at 10:48
Originally posted by Super__Ally Super__Ally wrote:

Yes I agree Jock, Albufeira is as you say pleasant and safe most of the time
The problem is when you eventually bump into the stags and hens it becomes the opposite. 
Our worst experience was a few years ago when we stayed in the Forte do Vale. There were 12 blokes all dressed as women, which they did all day every day. Dresses, high heels and make up. How they thought it was amusing or funny I will never know. 
We have never tried AI and never will. We prefer to eat out at our favourite restaurants. 
Roll on October when we will be back for visit number 4 for 2019.     

I have just caught up with this post, must have missed it before.

Whilst more than a tad odd to do it everyday, if this was the worst holiday experience you have ever had Ally, I don't see much to complain about? A few blokes in frocks? Get over yerself man... LOLWink

-------------
Go away Duchatalet

Date Posted: 15/July/2019 at 10:52
Originally posted by Jayjan Jayjan wrote:

Andrew it aint garbage, loads of photos on facebook albufeira pages over the last few weeks of the same thing happening. How often do you visit the strip, daytime or evenings, as  it's true these things are  now happening.So sad this is happening. We have been on the strip area in daytime and occasionally at nightime and this is happening. Last year we passed Matts Bar on the strip, a guy  falling off the bull machine near enough naked, not nice to see if you have families with kids, luckily we didn't have our grandkids with us as I would have been horrified. One of the main reasons we now very rarely visit the strip and stay outside the area..I know its seasonal with stags and hens but it is getting out of control and the authorities need to get it sorted. Seems they are all coming from Magaluf  since the authorities banned this problem. Send em back I say, we don't need them.

I have seen the same half a dozen photos many times over, not loads. And as Andrew says, whilst not great, it's the Strip. 

I have not seen one bloke in a thong this year so far, and I am here 24/7/365... 

Like some of us have said, it's easy to avoid if you want to, but it would be better if it wasn't there at all...    

-------------
Go away Duchatalet

Date Posted: 15/July/2019 at 21:24
Algarve-addict. 
Our first holiday in Albufeira was in 1988 and we have been coming back nearly every year since then. We now visit three or four times a year since we retired.  And yes the stags in drag was our worst ever experience in Albufeira. They caused disruption wherever they went and they had no thought for the other residents in the hotel or in restaurants. They left one woman in tears when she joked about one mans striped dress.
But I think you completely miss my point. My wife and I worked very hard all year to save for that holiday and the ambiance and peace and quiet of the hotel was ruined by these people. 
We had to stay out of their way, whether at the pool or eating out, we would just move on.
These guys deserved to enjoy their holiday BUT NOT at the cost of ruining everyone elses holiday.
So do you really think we had nothing to complain about. 
If that is the case your credibility is in question. 
I look forward to your reply.

-------------
Ally

Date Posted: 16/July/2019 at 09:09
No - you didn't mention anything about them causing any bother at all Ally - all you wrote was: "There were 12 blokes all dressed as women, which they did all day every day. Dresses, high heels and make up. How they thought it was amusing or funny I will never know." 

How were we to glean the extra information that you gave in your last post from those three sentences? 

Now we know that I can see how it spoiled your enjoyment. The hotels need to deal with this sort of behaviour.    

-------------
Go away Duchatalet

Date Posted: 17/July/2019 at 19:48
Point taken 

-------------
Ally

Posted By: Chris-Wiltshire
Date Posted: 21/July/2019 at 14:27
18 years ago, when we first visited, we took the decision to avoid the Strip as it wasn't to our taste. We were back in the Old Town every year after with our children until we eventually bought our own apartment, in Old Town. We are now there for a couple of weeks every couple of months. We get the noise from the bars day and night in the peak months - not just the summer - it's part of the deal if you want to be that close to the beach and other attractions. In my opinion has the place been taken over by drunken hooligans? No. There have always been these elements and there may be more stag and hen groups than before but they haven't taken over. I can't speak for the Strip, I doubt it is any better than 18 years ago. Am I changing our holiday plans based on how the social mix of the city has changed? No, and I doubt I ever will.

Date Posted: 21/July/2019 at 20:33
Chris-Wiltshire, here here, touché, totally agree 👍
That’s exactly our view and not that we wish to out trump you, our first visit was ‘81, but your words are still totally applicable for us from that date.

-------------
Andrew

Posted By: Chris-Wiltshire
Date Posted: 21/July/2019 at 22:54
Wow, 1981..... you've certainly seen the changes. So much is different now to when we first visited...Fishermen's Beach did what it said on the tin.....Bar Street had shops that weren't bars.....but everywhere is different today than it was in the past, wherever you go in the world. Cheap travel has brought more people and they don't all have the same tastes. Too easy to run a place down for the slightest of reasons, but look and you will see what you want to see.

Date Posted: 22/July/2019 at 00:21
Chris-Wiltshire. Very well said. My view entirely.   

Date Posted: 22/July/2019 at 11:51
Chris-Wiltshire. Apart from the bit about buying your place I echo every word.

Strangely I cant remember when we first visited Albufeira so I won't enter the date race but there were cars in the old square, only steps up from the beach and fishing boats hauled up on Fisherman's beach.

-------------
Colin

Date Posted: 22/July/2019 at 11:59
Occasionally in this thread I get a whiff of "I am a Traveller, You are a Tourist, They are Riffraff"

-------------

Date Posted: 22/July/2019 at 14:13
I am riff-raff and so is my wife... 

-------------
Go away Duchatalet

Posted By: peteknopp
Date Posted: 22/July/2019 at 14:20
My wife wants me to promote vegan, veggie and gluten free meals and she's got me stocking soya milk in our restaurant on that vile strip where no sane person goes .....oh hang on - we did over 130 meals yesterday and very few, if any,  were groups of hens and stage but rather a nice mix of folk!

-------------

Posted By: vinnym
Date Posted: 22/July/2019 at 16:03
Originally posted by peteknopp peteknopp wrote:

My wife wants me to promote vegan, veggie and gluten free meals and she's got me stocking soya milk in our restaurant on that vile strip where no sane person goes .....oh hang on - we did over 130 meals yesterday and very few, if any,  were groups of hens and stage but rather a nice mix of folk!

Come on Pete, be realistic, schools are now finished, high season has started, everyone knows Stags and Hens all but disappear until September due to cost of accommodation.
Last time I was in Albufeira, (March), I walked down the strip on a Saturday afternoon about 16.00, there were a load of Stags in two bars not 75 yards from your place. Their behaviour was a disgrace. Would hate to have seen what they were like at midnight.

Date Posted: 22/July/2019 at 18:01
Stages and hens don't disappear because of "high season" costs. This is the months when they get married. I don't understand what the complainers expect from groups of stag and hen parties. They are there to what in their eyes is to enjoy themselves. If they had only taken over two bars that left plenty of other bars to choose from. Exactly the same behaviour takes place up and down the UK every week-end. Let's get the balance right. In my case I have walked the strip hundreds of times and very occasionally have encountered behaviour that could be deemed over the top.

Date Posted: 22/July/2019 at 18:47
Of course the Stags/Hens should be able to enjoy their holiday, but not to the detriment of other holiday makers.

-------------
Ally

Date Posted: 26/July/2019 at 14:59

Of course the Stags/Hens should be able to enjoy their holiday, but not to the detriment of other holiday makers.

Exactly and if Hamlet hasn't seen any behaviour he deems to be over the top then he has obviously been up and down the strip when it has been empty.

Posted By: enrique
Date Posted: 13/November/2019 at 12:04
Thank goodness for this thread i thought it was me getting older that thought that Albufeira was getting worse of wear from stag nights and hen parties, the wife and myself are in our 70s and have been coming to Albufeira for many years principally because we felt safe and have regularly commented on that fact, but this year we noticed even through the day there were more louts shall we call them , and in one of our quiet cafes the staff were also complaining because they were near the Valmangude and as its a cheaper hotel they are often stag and hen people there ,its not the hotels fault there just doing what they can for their customers, in past years the youngsters generally had a lie in and came out at night , but now its 24hrs non stop , we used to be able to let the young ones enjoy themselves down the strip and we would go down town with the families but im afraid its getting very much like the Strip, pity because we love coming to albufeira so much so we come 4 times a year , but i am now looking for somewhere different, Carvioero etc.

Date Posted: 13/November/2019 at 20:02
Well I can’t tell you that you didn’t see what you saw but.. I’m amazed. We spent four months out there this summer and had many, many friends stay with us (we totally over did it but that’s another story). Everyone of our guests wanted to visit old town, day and night, dine in several restaurants they had heard about, visit several shops they had likewise heard about.
I reckon we averaged three days and three nights a week down there in 17 weeks, so over 100 visits this summer.
Like you I can only speak as I find and we never, ever, once saw anything of this nature.
The Old Town for us is as good as ever retaining its magical atmosphere and buzzing with Bon homie.
Enjoy Carvioero, we visited this summer on two nights, last night a lovely restaurant, we retired to the promenade area behind the beach, only about 9.45 pm and a stag party issued what they called a “double donkey dare”, €10 to enter, strip naked, run to the sea, get wet, run back to restaurant, first back took the pot. When they got back, over two dozen of them, they were in no rush, nor were encouraged by staff, to get dressed. Classy... NOT! We left.

-------------
Andrew

Date Posted: 15/November/2019 at 21:43
Andrew, are you saying Stag/Hen parties are better behaved in Albufeira than they are in Carvioero?     
I think not!

Jean and I are just back from a 10 day holiday in Albufeira and never encountered any trouble at all Smile 

-------------
Ally

Date Posted: 16/November/2019 at 08:04
No, I’m not saying that. I thought I was pretty clear, in four months we never saw any such shenanigans in Albufeira Old Town, I note you didn’t during your stay either.
In two nights in Carvioero we saw one such episode.
Make of it what you will, I’m reporting our factual experiences.

-------------
Andrew

Date Posted: 16/November/2019 at 17:03
I accept you appology Tongue

-------------
Ally

Posted By: A9NDY
Date Posted: 16/November/2019 at 21:58
I/we must be lucky, a frequent visitor for 10 years now never seen anything untoward regarding stag or hen party’s... don’t get me wrong we’ve seen them out and about in the old town and it’s been pretty tame nothing to cause offence just having fun not upsetting other family’s ect ,
But I’ve seen it at the new town more brash in your face ..... after all new town is party town both sides of town are big enough to avoid it plenty of other places to go ect, it nowhere as bad as ayia napa or Magaluf or Benidorm 👌

Date Posted: 18/November/2019 at 09:00

What? I think you’re confused, or on the pop, and try English next time, a four word post with two of them misspelt, back to school!

-------------
Andrew

Date Posted: 18/November/2019 at 22:13

What? I think you’re confused, or on the pop, and try English next time, a four word post with two of them misspelt, back to school!

Hahaha, Andryou whell sppottted.  Smile

-------------
Ally

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.15 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2012 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk