Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Living in Albufeira / Viver em Albufeira » Algarve Foreign Residents / Residentes Estrangeiros
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMillennium Bank New Charges

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/October/2015 at 13:22
Originally posted by cubsur cubsur wrote:

I've done a little reading of the reverse situation ie a non resident opening a UK bank account. For a start, most banks simply don't do it. Anti-terror and money laundering laws being the reason.

For the three that do, I am seeing charges of around £20 a month unless you have for example £25,000 with them. Masses of verbiage of course clouds the actual situation, as it does here.

Should be equally illegal(when applied to EU citizens)then Tom.
Jayjan View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/October/2015 at 22:42
Agree Perry. Just wonder that  if you are an owner of a second property in UK  from another country and open a bank account whether same rules/charges are the same,if so another rip off,  never gone into it opposite way. Saying that I still think Portuguese banks are a rip off, grab grab grab and shrugs of shoulders when you question it as though they don't give a sh*t. Nowt like customer services with a smile and understanding is there. Money is money banked with them wherever where you are from.  BTW banks never go bust do they, always someone to bail them out, mainly the bloody taxpayerUnhappy

Polli the dancing cat strikes again.
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/October/2015 at 16:10
I've been to my bank. In simple terms, the €5,20 monthly charge applies to most current accounts for a variety of reasons. All banks now charge this, they said. That may or may not be true.

Equally basically, if you have more than €500 a month paid into your account salary or pension you are usually exempt. If you have more than €5,000 in savings with your bank you are exempt. There are other ways you can perhaps wiggle out out of it.

The bank person pointed to me a scheme Millennium have which, by paying 8 Euros a month, exempts you from monthly account, credit and debit card charges, gives discounts on insurance etc.  Something I shall do the reading and the maths on. You do have to apply in person at your branch however.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
jamieandanne View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/October/2015 at 18:21
Have more than 500 a month pension paid in and have the 5,000 savings, but still have to pay the 5.20 I think they tell different people different things.
Jayjan View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26/October/2015 at 19:37
So why have they got a price list on their website that means absolutley jack S*i*. Angry
carolenclive View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/October/2015 at 09:45
Sounds like Barclays had our account since University 50+ yrs ago and the present current one Premier approx 9 yrs only to be told recently that because we have less than 70.000 going in annually we no longer qualify and they are reverting us back to a normal current account.They then informed us that we can pay the extra to keep things such as Travel insurance, car cover gadget cover etc and we could have a discount on them if we took out the full package.All banks stink.Now considering changing after all these years.
caz
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/October/2015 at 10:47
Originally posted by Jayjan Jayjan wrote:

So why have they got a price list on their website that means absolutley jack S*i*. Angry

Common practice is it not, to make pricing incomprehensible to the average person.

I will bet most people haven't a clue why they pay what they do for banking, phone, gas, water, electricity etc etc and are not bothered to change to a different supplier where possible.

As for me, I am going to delve into the ways and means of moving some money around to avoid the monthly charge, which is equivalent to two beers per month, and I get 0.05% interest (less tax of course) by having more in savings.

Or I might put it on a horse so to speak.
Albufeira Resident

stuart123 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/October/2015 at 13:29
I've just opened an account with Millennium BCP, and it was made clear about the 5.20euro a month fee - although the forms I filled in stated 8euro !

For the money, you don't pay an annual card fee (15euro per card) and you also get medical emergency cover.
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/October/2015 at 10:29
I looked at the 8 Euro per month option but as I don't make regular payments into my account (just one per year at the moment) it doesn't seem to work for me.

I am still pondering. No rush, as this month's €5,20 has already gone out.
Albufeira Resident

cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/February/2016 at 12:14
Just to confirm that by showing the bank I have Residencia and juggling some money to put more in the savings account, the monthly €5,20 charge has gone.

That's a few more pints I can have without feeling the pinch.
Albufeira Resident

Jayjan View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/February/2016 at 16:29
I think its discrimatory against non residents, another  instance where they  are taking  the pee. Money is money after all, especially if you have a substantial amount in your account regardless of it  being a  current  or savings account. Feeling annoyed!!!!!
stuart123 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/February/2016 at 16:52
Although, I've had my account open for 3 months now, and never once been charged the monthly fee.

The 1 euro+tax fee for transfers annoys me though!!

Especially as if I'd done this via ATM it would be free - another example of if you are not in the country, you get additional fees.
bob d View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/February/2016 at 18:32
Careful Stuart, they might charge quarterly or twice a year or once a year but I bet they will get you eventually.
we're not brazil we're norn iron
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/February/2016 at 09:06
Their idea of a substantial amount of money is basically €5,000 or a regular pension payment of I think at least €180 a month into your account. I currently do not have the latter, waiting until September 2017!
Albufeira Resident

Jayjan View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/February/2016 at 13:03
Well Tom we have had over the €5000 mark in our account   at some stage and have still got charged this €5.20. I know its only a small amount but its the principle behind it that annoys me and probably lots of other account holders. Their pricing policy on website is not clear, suppose its only there just to confuse people.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic