Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Algarve
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hearing only bad news - Albufeira

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alamo68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hearing only bad news - Albufeira
    Posted: 19/June/2019 at 12:58
Some of my work colleagues have recently returned from Hols in the Albufeira area with there families. The reports are concerning to say the least. The number of Stag and Hen parties in and around the old town is out of control. The strip is a right off for families as the behaviour of these people is frightening. Drug taking is done openly and seems freely sold in all bars. Taxi drivers are telling tourist that it is getting worse.
I am due to visit Portugal this Sept/Oct after a one year gap.Surely it cannot have gone down hill, to this degree. I love Portugal- Its beaches- food - people but I am not prepared to expose my family to this. Would some of the regulars on here be prepared to give there honest opinion on this. I do know that other resorts can and do get this type of tourist but have Portugal opened its doors to every Scum bag/drub dealer with open arms.

regards
Sponsored Links

ClaireKildare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote ClaireKildare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/June/2019 at 14:15
There is a long thread on Albufeira forum on Trip Advisor running along this topic. A lot of this forum members are also on that.  https://www.tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g189112-i331-k12626279-First_time-Albufeira_Faro_District_Algarve. - https://www.tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g189112-i331-k12626279-First_time-Albufeira_Faro_District_Algarve.html

There have always been stag/hen parties they peak around April/May and October, when prices are lower. This year has been no worse that any other as far as I can see, I was in Albufeira in Feb, March, April, and May and back over this Sunday. The strip is for the party crowd, i would not bring a young family there, but I would not bring them to Temple Bar on a Saturday night either.

My honest opinion is yes there are crowds of drunks around some weekends, probably not in high season, but Albufeira is big enough to avoid them as they tend to hang in the same areas.  There is the train of thought that we all should be able to wander around without having "no-go" areas, but also if people want to spend their time and money drinking all day that is their choice.

We bought an apartment in the Old Town in 2011 and are there increasingly as our family grew up, I love it there, feel completely safe. Never been offered drugs.

Choose your accommodation carefully. Avoid the Strip. You'll be fine.
Algarveaddick View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Algarveaddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/June/2019 at 14:22
Of course Portugal has opened it's doors to every scumbag and drug dealer with open arms. Have you not seen the adverts "Are you a scum bag or a drug dealer? Then Portugal's the place for you!" 

Kidding of course, but it was my first reaction to your somewhat hysterical post - I mean "Drug taking is done openly and seems freely sold in all bars.". Your colleagues went to every single bar in Albufeira and witnessed drugs being sold? Really? 

There are undoubtedly many groups of stags and hens this time of year - people get married in spring and summer - and some are rowdy. Where you set your bar of what is acceptable and what is not is very much down to the individual. It wont be as busy with those groups in September. 

The problem is that families keep supporting all-inclusive resorts and spend little outside, so the bar and restaurant owners need these groups to survive, otherwise the families would have nowhere to go on their once-a-week jaunt out. 

There are plenty of places to go away from the Strip and the Square, I live here and almost never venture into the tourist trap places, and we go to lots of different bars and restaurants where none of this supposed outrageous behaviour occurs.       
Go away Duchatalet
Big Col View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Big Col Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/June/2019 at 14:43
My wife and I are regular visitors and have just come back from our latest holiday. We prefer the Old Town and over the years there have been some changes which you would expect.

There are more stag and hen groups in the Old Town whereas previously they were more often confined to the Strip. However we didn't find them obtrusive or offensive. There are certainly more visitors wearing all inclusive wristbands with the inevitable knock on effect that has on restaurants and bars.

We have never seen or been offered drugs (perhaps we don't look the type!) and trust me, we do visit bars.

These gradual changes have not changed our view of Albufeira where we've made many friends and we too will be back in September/October.

Looking forward to it as always.
Colin
Andrew View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/June/2019 at 15:30
Totally agree with the three responses above, who ever is pedalling that sort of news is wide of the mark, ourselves, family and friends feel totally safe/comfortable in the Old Town, the atmosphere is great.
As with all busy or large numbers of people in close proximity, you need common sense, like close your hand bag, don't have your wallet sticking out of your back pocket but that's the same the World over.
Other than that it's as fine as it ever was.
I too have never been offered drugs, I have been offered many Rolex but I think they're fake!
Andrew
RytonTyne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RytonTyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/June/2019 at 15:41
Totally agree with Big Col's post, we have been going to the old town for over 25 years and have seen nothing which would put me off going there. We also go Sept/Oct time and always drink, and eat in the many different bars and restaurants.
tonisdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tonisdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/June/2019 at 16:03
I will be honest. Yes Albufeira has gone very much downhill over the past 15+ years we have visitedl/ived here. May until September is murder.
We even avoid flights on a weekend back and forth to UK.
Would I bring family on holiday here....Not in a month of Sundays.
If it had been like it is now when we first visited we would have never come back. The weekends are terrible. The weekend starts on a Thursday some weeks. A stroll down the old town is met with crowds of drunks.Birthdays/stags/hens seeing who can shout and swear the loudest. The strip is like Magaluf.....That is all day and most of the night on a weekend.
If you are in a hotel where there happens to be two or more parties more so opposite sexes you might as well not bother stopping around the pool and take ear plugs if you want sleep on a night.
It is OK saying you can avoid them but most people want to be where the crowds are.....it is inevitable that is where the loud mouth drunks want to be as well.
Regarding drugs every time I walk down the strip or go to the market I get offered drugs....well what`s supposed to be drugs.I am told that is because I look dodgey. But I have not seen them being taken openly.
On the bright side it will soon be October when the place becomes a lovely place to live and holiday.
Mind the way the hotels and people who rent apartments out keep putting up prices it might soon return to being a good family resort.
Oh and by the way I am far from being a prude I can swill it down my neck like rest of them but I have never got this we are in a gang lets be obnoxious thing.

Big Col View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Col Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/June/2019 at 16:54
Originally posted by RytonTyne RytonTyne wrote:

Totally agree with Big Col's post, we have been going to the old town for over 25 years and have seen nothing which would put me off going there. We also go Sept/Oct time and always drink, and eat in the many different bars and restaurants.

And with a username from my home town we could almost be neighbours 👍
Colin
Alamo68 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alamo68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/June/2019 at 17:02
Thanks Tonisdad for your honest reply. I have seen similar replies on Trip advisor.
RytonTyne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RytonTyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/June/2019 at 17:51
We have never been in high season Big Col, many years ago we went beginning of July and walking down bar street and through the square, you could hardly walk it was so busy so we decided it would have to be early or later in the year, and have done that ever since. The only thing I seem to get hassled with is the gypsies selling table cloths! Roll on September. The weather is usually 100% better than Ryton, with probably more chance of being offered an illegal substance here as well
Algarveaddick View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Algarveaddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/June/2019 at 18:09
Originally posted by Alamo68 Alamo68 wrote:

Thanks Tonisdad for your honest reply. I have seen similar replies on Trip advisor.

Well, you had already made your mind up then. What was the point in posting? 

However, I sincerely hope wherever you decide to go instead is great, and that you and the family have a good time. 
Go away Duchatalet
Alamo68 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alamo68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/June/2019 at 18:25
As advised by Claiekildare
mrandyd View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrandyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/June/2019 at 18:41
We have been going for 25 years, staying in the new town/strip end of the resort and over the years gradually moving towards the old town, yes there are a lot more bars than there used to be, but I really think Albufeira hasn’t intrinsically changed too much, just that we have changed by getting older and prefer a little less of a wild night out, (most of the time😀)
Big Col View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Big Col Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/June/2019 at 19:23
Originally posted by Alamo68 Alamo68 wrote:

Thanks Tonisdad for your honest reply.

I would assume everyones posts are their honest reflection on Albufeira, mine certainly was.

Obviously views will vary not least due to your age, whereabouts in Albufeira you frequent, tastes and preferences, etc. Our preference is the Old Town and avoiding July/August. The latter not just because the town gets busier (where doesn't) but because the temperature is too hot for us and the flights and accommodation are more expensive.

In the last few years we've come across in late March, June and late September often with a two centre format exploring other parts of the Algarve.
Colin
Alamo68 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alamo68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/June/2019 at 20:02
Thanks Big Col. I take on board every view expressed on here. Reason we are going Sept/Oct is the heat and less crowds. When kids were younger we did May/June and now a bit older as mentioned .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic