Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Local Transportation / Transportes Locais
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGiro Bus users

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/June/2013 at 11:28
"Is the route from the likes of Lidl and the new Aldi straight forward enough from the Marina, from memory is is fairly direct in one direction but a bit of a tour on the return."

The Giro 1 from the marina will drop you at the secondary school stop near the footbridge across the main road. That's about 100 metres from ALDI and 200 metres from LIDL.

Unfortunately there is no sensible alternative (unless you enjoy walking 300 yards or so with shopping bags) to getting on the same stop and going the pretty way round via the Cámara, Bus station (10 minutes wait), Camping Albufeira, Old Town and Páteo.

The un-sensible alternative is to come out of ALDI or LIDL, walk along Rua Baden-Powell to the end, turn left and wait for the bus at the stop outside the café a little way along. You still get a tour of Camping, Old Town and Páteo but at 1.40 (or 80 cents if pre-paid) is a nice tour if you are not in a hurry.

Or I suppose you could walk down the main road and into the old town Avenida Liberdade and pick up the GIRO 1 there. Bags had better not be too heavy though or invest in one of those shopping bag trolleys with wheels.

Or you get the Linha Verde from the stop near the entrance to ALDI to the bus station., You can use the same ticket to transfer to GIRO 1 there. Still very round the houses though.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
pyrman View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/July/2013 at 11:20
I am planning a 4-hour `Giro Tour`for just 2.00 euros to pre-paid holders in the East End to help people to use the buses and see the area. Passes will also be available for 7.00 euro and can be sold back for 3.00 euro ... so you have the 80 cent fare from the outset. The tour includes strolling the main Old Town highlightsl and time for refreshments of around 1 hour 45m.

My Albufeira Guide (with printed timetables and Giro Maps) was distributed widely in the area in Spring 2013 and will be the basis of tours from October 2013 to May 2014. There is also an equivalent D.I.Y. Tour ... so you can take your family and friends ... for 2.00 euros.

Not intending to make a load of cash ... but I`d be in town anyway, so might as well help.
Anyone going next winter/spring most welcome to e-mail me and book (no cash) if you like. There`ll be FREE tours in the week from Sep 30 from Pedra dos Bicos and Strip Central.

Pyrman
M Scotland View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/August/2013 at 13:52
About times for buses : I once asked for them at the bus station and the lady shrugged her shoulders and told me that "they come". 

That seemed to be all that needed to be said. When in Rome........Tongue
pyrman View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/August/2013 at 20:41
I tend to agree with the Camara about printing timetables ... since I have done. They are only needed by people who don`t know and want to know ... which is why Cubsur and myself have bothered, he with his site and me with Albuferia Guide.

However, at certain places (like the Town Hall stop) most of the locals are also confused .. so instead of wasted timetables for the 1.25 million users each year ... they really only need to put the times on the stops ... eg Green to Terminal .. 0720, 0750 ... until 2150 winter and 2350 June to Sept.

I`m impressed with those new digital electronic ones in major UK cities that tell you when the next bus will arrive and where it is going ... but it could be a century before these arrive in Albufiera ..

Pyrman
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/August/2013 at 10:12
Many of the bus stops in Lisbon have electronic displays but I haven't seen them elsewhere on Portugal. The local councils in Lagos, Portimao and Faro see for to publish actul timetables. it is bizarre that Albufeira, one of the biggest destinations for tourists, does not. I and others have written to the Camara and the local opposition party made quite a mention of the GIRO situation in a recent newsletter. They conceded that it is good and that the council has done well to maintain the level of service, but much more can be done at little cost to make the service more user friendly.

And yes at the Town Hall stop (where there no information at all about where any bus goes or wnat time it comes) even locals are confused, often stopping buses to ask where they are going!
Albufeira Resident

cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/September/2013 at 15:17
The GIRO buses were free this morning as it is World Tourism day today. Nice little bonus. Now  on what shall I spend the 80 cents I saved?
Albufeira Resident

Algarveaddick View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/September/2013 at 15:50
It was a great idea to publicise it all over town, what a great success... Oh, err hang on a minute...

They don't get any smarter do they.
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/February/2014 at 10:48
Nice new stickers on the bus stops showing the route and first and last bus times, in Portuguese and English. Also shows the stops where the route intersects with others. The only minor problem being that you need to know the town to know where the stops are - would have been handy if they had added a small picture of certain landmarks, such as the watches roundabout and the Marina, but that's a minor issue, credit where it's due, well done the council.
lucyr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/February/2014 at 11:44
That is brilliant news, thanks for tha
my beautiful portugal
lucyr View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/February/2014 at 11:46
Thanks for that, new computer, still learning how to go it.
my beautiful portugal
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/July/2015 at 11:24
The council has spent some money on nice shiny new buses for the GIRO routes. They are 32 seaters that will replace some of the clapped out vehicles that have been running since the service began. They have the same centre ramp for wheelchairs as those already in service.

I will try to get a picture later.

Now if they would only tell people where and when they ran!

The information at bus stops has still not been updated following the February changes.
Albufeira Resident

cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/July/2015 at 10:56

Albufeira Resident

Big Col View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/July/2015 at 13:44
They look very bright and smart. Not sure about the need for curtains though?
Colin
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/July/2015 at 13:58
They are good on a hot sunny day Colin, a little bit of shade is sometimes very welcome.
Jock View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/January/2017 at 11:08
Coming out in March. and will be using the Giro buses.  So that I can have the cash ready could you tell me if the fare is still €1.40 for an hour?
It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As pretty as an Airport' appear. Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic