Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Local Transportation / Transportes Locais
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Day Trip to Portimao

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poundsix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Day Trip to Portimao
    Posted: 02/November/2017 at 11:38
Coming over to Albufeira in a couple of weeks and fancied a day trip to Portimao to have a look around. Can this be done by bus without too much hassle? Where do they go from and how frequently? Any advice would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links

R100ELP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R100ELP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/November/2017 at 12:50
Did this last week when i was there. If you dont know where the bus station is you can get a taxi to it for about 4 euro from Albuferia Shopping. The buses go only 3 or 4 times a day Ill check the times when i get a chance and a return ticket is less then 10 euro and takes about 1 hour
Buses back are just as irregular.
We spent a 1/2 day walking around and then returned and got off the bus at Algarve Shopping and spent the rest of the day there.
We got a taxi back to our hotel from there as the free bus had ended which was about another 10 Euro 
Poundsix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poundsix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/November/2017 at 13:35
Thanks for the info. Did you make it to the beach/boardwalk area is it too far from the bus stop?
R100ELP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R100ELP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/November/2017 at 22:02
The bus leaves you at the boardwalk beside the sea and the boats there was even a cruise ship in the day we were there.
I have to say though it wasn't my cup of tea and any more than a half day would have been a struggle
I didnt find many shops or places to eat that interested me that I couldnt find elsewhere 
Dont get me wrong it was nice to have a walk around but now that ive been there I dont think id be making a return journey too quickly
I cant find my timetable either but I know we got the bus on a weekday at 8.35 and that it wasnt a public holiday. Im sure someone here will be able to point you in the right direction for an online timetable
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/November/2017 at 10:34
Bus times for Portimão and Praia da Rocha (which is where you will find the boardwalk and the sea) www.algarvebus.info/002s.htm

Portimão itself is about a mile and half from the coast.

These limited stop buses leave from Albufeira's main bus station and stop nowhere else here until Algarve Shopping (mall) near Guia. They do not have route numbers. You may as said above need another bus or a taxi to get from wherever you are staying to Albufeira's bus station, which is out of town. See www.algarvebus.info/albufeira.htm for more information. At the bus station, you buy your ticket at the ticket office inside before getting on the bus. The fare is €4,65 each way.

Finally, if you are staying in or near the old town area of Albufeira there are a couple of other buses on weekdays only to and from Portimão which save you having to trek up to the bus station. Let me know if you need the details of those.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
Poundsix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poundsix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/November/2017 at 13:44
Thanks guys, some great info there! Got a much better idea of what we need to do now.
Not coming over until late November so I guess we will have to keep one eye on the weather before we decide which day to go!
Apologies for being bit off this thread but on the subject of sightseeing,
every hotel lists the local things to see, as shown below, most of which we have already seen previously but what is Clock Tower?

Points Of Interest

Balaia Golf Village - 1.5 miles
Clock Tower - 3.4 miles
Albufeira Marina - 4.1 miles
Falesia Beach - 5.5 miles
Zoomarine - 9 miles
Marina Beach - 9.9 miles
Vilamoura Beach - 9.9 miles
Vilamoura Marina - 10.3 miles
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/November/2017 at 08:26
"...what is Clock Tower"

Not exactly a huge tower but it's in the old town almost opposite the Sol e Mar hotel. Picture at https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/04/15/7a/9a/clock-tower.jpg

It dates from the mid 1800's (almost everything really old was flattened in the 1755 earthquake) and stands adjacent to where once stood one of the gates of the town. The outside of the big building and the one next to it formed part of the town walls. One became the hospital, but has been empty and crumbling for many years since the new one was built. The town museum is opposite. In the square, there is some archaeology dating from the 10th and 11th centuries and nearby are some more of the oldest buildings in town among the narrow streets.

It's worth a look around and certainly on a rainy day the museum is a good place to spend a couple of hours. In winter it is closed on Mondays, otherwise opens thus:-

Saturday Sunday Tuesdays 0930 - 1230 and 1330 to 1730
Wednesday Thursday Friday 0930 to 1730 no lunch break.

Costs 1 Euro, but free on Sundays before 1130 and for assorted concessions

By the way on that list "Marina Beach" is the Praia da Marinha, west of Armação de Pêra, which is impossible to get to without a car.

Finally, 1st December is a public holiday here (Restoration of Independence) so things run to Sunday times. Shops etc mostly open as usual, banks post offices etc of course not!

Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
Poundsix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poundsix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/November/2017 at 13:24
Flying out this weekend to bring you all some british rain! So have a had another closer study of the bus trip to Portimao that we are planning.Looks like there are a few banana skins to slip up on with buses with no numbers and stops with no timetables etc! Still, that's all part of the fun.

We are staying in the Oura area and regularly walk to the Old Town so if there is a weekday bus that does not involve the extra hike out to the bus station that would be good.
Totally brilliant info from Cubsur on the bus timetables and what to watch out for, got a copy printed and in my case already!
Algarveaddick View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Algarveaddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/November/2017 at 16:51
Originally posted by Poundsix Poundsix wrote:

Flying out this weekend to bring you all some british rain! So have a had another closer study of the bus trip to Portimao that we are planning.Looks like there are a few banana skins to slip up on with buses with no numbers and stops with no timetables etc! Still, that's all part of the fun.

We are staying in the Oura area and regularly walk to the Old Town so if there is a weekday bus that does not involve the extra hike out to the bus station that would be good.
Totally brilliant info from Cubsur on the bus timetables and what to watch out for, got a copy printed and in my case already!

Good luck Simon! Confused

You will be fine! Big smile
Go away Duchatalet
enrique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enrique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/April/2018 at 12:06
talking about no numbers or timetables , I remember a few years ago , we were waiting for the Faro Bus at the Modelo , when a group of English visitors who had came to Albufeira for the first time were a little bit worried about getting the correct bus and one lad in particular was moaning and kept saying , "how will we know the Faro bus when a scots lad turned and said "they have a strange way of doing things here , the bus has on the front a large sign saying Faro I found it hard not to laugh
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic