Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Photo sharing / Partilha de fotos
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Praia de Faro

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Praia de Faro
    Posted: 03/September/2017 at 13:02
You will all have seen it from above, but how many have been there?

I went last Thursday.

https://cubsur51.wordpress.com/2017/09/03/visit-to-praia-de-faro-31-08-17/
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
Sponsored Links

Stan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/September/2017 at 23:18
Cheers Cubsur,great photos and very interesting.

I will be looking out for that bridge on Wednesday when we land, hopefully from the west
Big Col View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Col Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/September/2017 at 07:33
Several years ago we drove straight there from the airport to kill some time as we couldn't gain access to our villa until later.

I remember the bridge and several motorhomes but no traffic lights. We drove along past some run down buildings and although the views and beach looked good we didn't stop. Probably time to make a return visit and be better prepared.
Colin
Andrew View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/September/2017 at 08:40
We did the reverse Col, picking visitors up from the airport we went early and did exactly what Tom did, it was a cloudy day in May, not many people about and our overall impression was similar to yours, we thought it very run down and neglected.
Andrew
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/September/2017 at 10:31
The touristy bits look like they are being improved and there now a couple of hostels or small hotels on the island. Certainly as soon as you come off the bridge there is the usual clutch of large bars and eateries. I went into a bar right down at the end of the road, it looked to be a popular place.  Beyond there is a bit of a mess, with fishing boats and all the stuff that goes with them plus some decidedly weird looking habitations on the landward side. On the ocean side, once past the end of the road, there are few people and some very nice stretches of sand.

I recall that the council demolished a number of illegal shacks a while back.

Council elections are coming up of course and a couple of parties have poster there calling for the narrow stretch of bridge to be widened. What they can do with the traffic when gets there is a question. Every square inch of space than can be used for parking is already used for parking and is full.

I also spotted a GNR hut by the bridge with manual controls for the traffic lights. A patrol was headed that way while I was waiting for the bus, to do just that.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic