Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Living in Albufeira / Viver em Albufeira » Algarve Foreign Residents / Residentes Estrangeiros
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Victims of Burglary.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cooknoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Victims of Burglary.
    Posted: 07/April/2017 at 19:13
Not something that I expected to be posting when I recently joined this forum.

We have received a telephone call this afternoon informing us that our home has been broken into and property stolen. The GNR have visited, and my husband has spoken to them on the phone. Fortunately, we are due to fly out in about a weeks time, but we have been told that on our first day, we will have to establish exactly what has been taken and then visit the local GNR to complete a report. Apparently you have to pay them for the papers, which you then need to provide to the insurer.
We are only over in Olhos for the week (which also includes Easter). Does anyone know, or have experience of how soon the insurers in Portugal will take to visit regarding the claim, and then how you go about replacing items. Probably unlikely to be able to replace during the next visit and then not due out again until the summer.

Would be grateful for any advice anyone can give.   Thanks Pauline.

Sponsored Links

Cooknoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cooknoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/April/2017 at 19:25
Have been worried sick since our news Friday (original post).

We are hoping that the lack of response from Residents/Home owners means that break ins around Albufeira are few and far between. Thinking that the b------s might return. Hope not!!!!!!!
port princess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote port princess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/April/2017 at 20:04
Very sorry about your break in , have you got someone beside you neighbors who could perhaps help in first instance if so chamnge locks police would they have made secure ? Hope all is well when you get there it's not nice for that to happen to anyone in their home wish you well .
Portprincess
bob d View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/April/2017 at 22:36
I would make your property as secure as possible with grills and GOOD quality locks. If possible use security lights as thieves hate lights coming on. Hope the police catch the feckers but I doubt it.
Be aware that thieves will know brand new products will be in your house soon after the break in as the insurance company pays up.
we're not brazil we're norn iron
Cooknoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cooknoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/April/2017 at 17:10
Have looked online for companies doing security grilles but not much luck when searching from the uk.

Looks like our forthcoming visit will be one of clearing up, chasing insurers and trying to secure property, rather than the much needed rest we were hoping for. The problem with many holiday homes is that they are surrounded by other such properties which are often empty, particularly during closed season thus making them an ideal target for thieves.
peteknopp View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peteknopp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/April/2017 at 17:18
+351 910 604 773 is the number for steve clarke who has a steel home building/welding etc  Only used him to make frames for menu boards at restaurant but a nice guy and been here a while and he's well known. from boliqueime. Sorry but dont know of anyone else to suggest but will message a builder friend who I'm then meeting this evening so will come back if more info....
Cooknoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cooknoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/April/2017 at 15:53
Thanks very much for the number Pete. Will likely give Steve Clarke a call when we are over.

Also considering what other deterrents we can install in the short term until we have sufficient time to get something more permanent.
port princess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote port princess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/April/2017 at 18:55
We got grills a few years ago but think it was possibly through Portuguese News
Yes also lights on / off good deterrent .
Portprincess
Cooknoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cooknoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/October/2017 at 16:07
We received a letter yesterday from the Justice Department in Albufeira. Five pages, which my husband spent last night translating via google.
The letter informed us that one of the people who burgled our home in April has recently been caught and charged. Apparently when he goes to Court, he faces a prison sentence of between 2 and 8 years. Much stiffer penalties than here in the UK!!!
Algarveaddick View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Algarveaddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/October/2017 at 08:10
Pleased to hear that Pauline! 
Go away Duchatalet
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DICEYUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/October/2017 at 09:44
Originally posted by Cooknoe Cooknoe wrote:

We received a letter yesterday from the Justice Department in Albufeira. Five pages, which my husband spent last night translating via google.
The letter informed us that one of the people who burgled our home in April has recently been caught and charged. Apparently when he goes to Court, he faces a prison sentence of between 2 and 8 years. Much stiffer penalties than here in the UK!!!

But presumably only if he is found guilty
I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/October/2017 at 11:40
Here you are guilty unless you can prove your innocence, not the other way around as with the UK. No juries either.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
Cooknoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cooknoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/October/2017 at 12:25
I hope so.
The letter says that the Police have evidence linking him to the burglary. That is presumably from the extensive amount of fingerprinting which they did all over the house (that itself caused a great deal of mess and has left a lasting reminder on one of my duvet covers!)
Apparently, the man is from Faro, so I guess such criminals must roam around the various resorts looking for places that are obviously holiday homes which are often unoccupied. I do not know whether we will get to hear the outcome (I suspect not), and although his accomplice (s) have got away with it, at least we will have some justice for what was an upsetting and costly experience.
That said, it has made us much more conscious about security, both in Portugal, and here in the UK.
iane View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/October/2017 at 18:50
Cubsur - are you sure about guilty unless proved innocent ?- the presumption of innocence premise is enshrined in the European Charter of Human Rights and by EU directive I believe.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic