Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Living in Albufeira / Viver em Albufeira » Algarve Foreign Residents / Residentes Estrangeiros
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGas and Electric suppliers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gas and Electric suppliers
    Posted: 07/December/2015 at 21:36
Having just completed the purchase of an apartment, I need to get the gas and electric switched back on (reconnected - currently switched off).  Looking for a 6.9kw supply.

I've come across these suppliers so far:

Iberdrola
0.1647 kwh and 0.3195 per day

9,01 euro per month plus 0,1587 kwh
Discount calculated with the 10% discount option over the power term + payment by direct debit.

Galp Energia
0.1592 kwh and 0.3653 per day

Endesa are the cheapest, however appear to have a several bad reviews - anyone used them, or recommend some other supplier?

Sponsored Links

DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/December/2015 at 06:24
We use EDP
We have 6.9 kVA potencia.
We are currently paying 0.1587 per Kwh & 0.2962 per day (both +IVA at 23%)
We pay Direct Debit monthly.
We are not on any special rates or deals & as far as I know those figures are their normal tariffs.
We have used EDP for 13 years and we don't get any problems.

Our gas is supplied by Repsol and is piped into our apartment from a very large tank at a nearby hotel.
Therefore we are tied to whatever supplier the hotel uses - Repsol took over from Joro about 4 years ago when Joro went bust.
Not sure what the rate is but on average we pay around 8 Euro a month - that includes standing charge + usage.
We have a gas hob & a gas water heater & we spend around 5 months a year here.

I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/December/2015 at 08:39
I am also on EDP. I have just had my bill for the last 2 months for €75,50. I get a 2% discount which was given when the market was liberalised and we had to choose a supplier and tariff.

VAT is 23%. I also pay by direct debit but usually only every two months as they bill small users every two months rather than monthly.

I have only 3.45kva potencia (small apartment) which costs €9,52 + VAT for 61 days
Consumption at € 0,1587 + VAT per Kwh is about 1 Euro a day
There is also included the 'contribution audiovisual´at €2,65 a month which is effectively your TV licence but taxed at only 6%.

My gas, for water heating only, comes from a communal supply behind the block provided by GALP. I pay 10 Euros every two months, most of which is the standing charge.

Like Dicey I have never had any problem with EDP in 10 years. I have had only one problem with GALP when the meter was misread. This was corrected by means of me getting a zero bill for six months or so.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
stuart123 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/December/2015 at 10:37
Thanks for the comments, I'm hoping to use same supplier for both gas and electric as they all seem to offer better discounts if you do this.
Norm55 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/December/2015 at 13:20
I have a one bed apt.     This is rented out and bills ate in region of 60€ up to €120 fir two month periods depending on occupancy.      Is this high?     
stuart123 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/December/2015 at 14:30
What does your bill say for standing charges and cost per units?
bob d View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/December/2015 at 16:36
I would say the price is not bad Norm. One thing I would do is make sure every single bulb is a low energy one.
we're not brazil we're norn iron
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/December/2015 at 11:32
Originally posted by Norm55 Norm55 wrote:

I have a one bed apt.     This is rented out and bills ate in region of 60€ up to €120 fir two month periods depending on occupancy.      Is this high?     

We too have a 1 bed apartment. It's not rented out but we spend around 22 weeks a year there. We run one AC unit (winter & summer) all the usual stuff and 2 or 3 heaters in the winter (normally around 12 weeks). Our monthly payment is 44 Euro a month.
I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
Norm55 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/December/2015 at 15:12
My cost per unit is €0.1587.    And €0.2962    Per day standing charge.   I pay every two months the amount they invoice me for, this is usually estimated.     I send them an accurate reading when am there.    
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic