Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Local Transportation / Transportes Locais
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBus fiasco

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bus fiasco
    Posted: 17/September/2015 at 20:59
We arrived on Tuesday night so yesterday morning we went into Albufeira to do our initial shop at Pingo Doce.
Although it was raining the bus into Albufeira was only about 5 minutes late arriving at Modelo.
However, the trip back to Acoteias was painful to say the least.
The bus was late - should have been at Modelo at 11.10. It usually arrives between 11.15 & 11.20  but yesterday it didn't arrive until 11.40 - 30 minutes late and from there on, it got worse.
The bus was completely empty when it arrived at Modelo.
Mrs Dicey, myself & one other person got on.
However, 20 others tried to get on until they found out it was not the bus they wanted.
Because of the weather it seems that the whole World & his brother had decided to go to Quarteira market for the day so every bus stop between Modelo & Acoteias had a queue of people looking for a bus going to Quarteira.
And because of totally inadequate signage on the front of the bus, and a total lack of bus route information at bus stops, the driver was flagged down at every stop.
The first in the queue at each stop put one foot on the steps & asked "does this bus go to Quarteira"
"No" replied the driver, "you need the Faro bus".
This was repeated at 9 different bus stops and not one single person got on, or off, our bus.
As a consequence our journey took 25 minutes longer than normal (i.e. a total of 40 minutes for a journey that takes no more than 15 minutes)
This constant stopping & starting for no reason must be costing EVA a small fortune & having serious effects on the remainder of their schedule for the day.
Don't understand, other than "this is Portugal", why they can't have a numbering system for buses coupled with simple route information for each number at all bus stops. After all, there are only 2 bus routes (to Acoteias & to Faro) that go along this road so it wouldn't be that difficult to do.

BTW, despite the appearance of Albufeira Sightseeing bus stops at numerous locations between Falesia & Albufeira earlier this year, not one Sightseeing bus has thus far been spotted on this route.
I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
Sponsored Links

cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/September/2015 at 09:16
Quite true and the lack of information about local buses is a bugbear for many. Add to that there are no route numbers, it's small wonder that buses are woefulyl under-used.

There are timetables posted at the Modelo bus stop which is unusual in itself but at most stops there is nothing. Since many people cannot understand a timetable and probably never use buses anyway it is recipe for disaster.

I am in Canterbury right now, where English is the last language you hear, information with maps and timetables are posted at every stop and there seem to be few problems. And the buses have route numbers.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
Algarveaddick View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/September/2015 at 09:37
Well said David!

We rarely use the bus, but had cause to do so in the summer when we went to meet friends for drinks at Vilamoura. It too was running late, and as it was the 13.30ish service there is another bus within 6 minutes that takes a similar, but slightly different route. Both just have "Faro" on the front. We happily boarded and while on route a German man flagged it down at the stop near Coyote bar. "Are you going to ... (I cannot remember exactly where he said)" he asked. "No you need that bus there" he was told, as the one he needed sped past.

He said a rather rude word that even my limited German was enough to understand.       
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/September/2015 at 08:13
Originally posted by cubsur cubsur wrote:

There are timetables posted at the Modelo bus stop

As I had plenty of time on my hands waiting for the bus outside Modelo I specifically looked. There is a Giro route map on a post and there is an Acoteias timetable stuck on the bus stop shelter glass. There was no timetable, or anything else, to indicate that you could catch a bus from there to Faro or anywhere else in between.
Here in Acoteias, we get loads of people who think, probably quite logically, that our bus goes to Albufeira one way & Vilamoura the other way, when of course it doesn't.
I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
enrique View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/March/2016 at 12:08
this might sound silly , but we like to use the bus timetables , when you see the - does this mean same time every hour or does it mean no bus , sorry for being a bit thick
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/March/2016 at 12:20
Buses here generally do not run at the same times past each hour (except the local GIRO buses around town) so where you see - it means no bus or no stop at that point.

Here is an example of the official timetable for the Açoteais bus route mentioned above. It's still the correct one despite there having been many more homes and resort complexes built out there over the last 6 years. Note how few buses there are at weekends.

BTW anyone who had taken the trouble to look at the timetable posted at Modelo or most of the other stops (which it is) will have seen that the FARO buses go to Quarteira, this other one doesn't.

There is still no officially published timetable for the GIRO buses around Albufeira. Despite this they still manage to carry around 800,000 thousands passengers a year who have either divined the times they need or refer to my unofficial page at www.algarvebus.info/albufeira.htm
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic