Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Living in Albufeira / Viver em Albufeira » Algarve Foreign Residents / Residentes Estrangeiros
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New postal regulations stuff from UK

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New postal regulations stuff from UK
    Posted: 09/February/2021 at 09:08
Another consequence of UK leaving the EU that may be visited on others resident here. For the past ten years or so I have been receiving, twice a year, a little package containing a paperback version of the European Rail Timetable, nice and easily through the normal post.

The latest issue has been impounded by Portuguese customs. In order to receive it I must provide my fiscal number, a copy of the order placed, a copy of of the invoice stating the cost of the item plus postage and a copy of the page of my credit card statement showing payment made. I will then be billed for customs duty and VAT on that duty. The book sells at £20.99.

Fortunately they also publish a digital edition to which I can subscribe. But I do prefer the print version.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
Sponsored Links

cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/February/2021 at 15:41
Customs duty €4,32 plus €12 for ' administration', so it will be the digital edition in future!
Albufeira Resident

AJSUGGY View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJSUGGY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/February/2021 at 19:30
I am just sorting out a parcel to Spain, but I am used to sending stuff outside of the EU so its no different now. On the invoice I just put  country of origin and the CIF (Cost. Insurance and Freight) To Faro, Portugal. + if you are a registered business an EORI Number, If this helps anyone sending stuff out to you. 
Unfortunately this means you are responsible for the deliver and Taxes from Faro.
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/February/2021 at 08:40
The book came from the a UK company who ship all over the world. I am sure they can sort out some paperwork for their EU customers, but there would still be customs duty and local administration costs as you say.

A similar problem exists I am told for people who use transport companies to bring out personal boxes of UK foodstuffs etc. In some cases the price of so doing has tripled.
Albufeira Resident

Algarveaddick View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Algarveaddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/February/2021 at 09:31
Yeah - but... Blue Passports... 🙄😏🤬
Go away Duchatalet
AJSUGGY View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJSUGGY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/February/2021 at 09:41
The problem arises because each individual Food item has to have a separate form so that involves more paper work hence the cost.
Jock View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/February/2021 at 20:01
I'm probably being dense but why are food parcels being sent from the UK?  Don't Portugal and Spain have a rich and varied cuisine?  Admittedly their pork sausages and bacon are a bit different.  And I haven't come across haggis or black pudding.
Will I be able to bring in HP sauce in my hold luggage? Probably buy it in LIDL/ALDI
Is it true that these stores are owned by conjoined twins? Apparently that's why their stores are always so close together.  Just an interweb rumour, but no smoke without fire.
It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As pretty as an Airport' appear. Douglas Adams
AJSUGGY View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJSUGGY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/February/2021 at 09:22
Google Aldi/Lidl and look up the origin of them and it will tell the story. I read it ages ago and i think it was their father who opened the first shop.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic