Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Photo sharing / Partilha de fotos
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Part of the Castle?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Part of the Castle?
    Posted: 16/May/2019 at 10:20
Recent demolition near the Cais Herculano has exposed some tall stonework which i think looks like a part of the old city wall or castle.

Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
Sponsored Links

cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/June/2019 at 14:58
And another bit of demolition up near the Translator's House reveals similar traces :

Albufeira Resident

Andrew View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/June/2019 at 16:46
Tom, there’s evidence of a staircase there, one flight at top of pic and another flight below it but roughly what’s the scale, or roughly how many feet between those flights? If it’s two feet I’m either wrong or one of them wasn’t, if it’s six feet then I’d be confident that’s what was there.
Andrew
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/June/2019 at 08:28
Good point. Off the top of my head  would say five or six feet along the length of the old broken pipe. The level of the natural rock can be seen also.

Could have been a zig zag or spiral staircase as there are quite clearly two levels. You can just see to the right a small part of a modern white tiled wall, bathroom or kitchen maybe.

Google satellite view shows the building before demolition - https://goo.gl/maps/jxgUci8uTxLpTD4fA - many around there are in a ruinous state and probably being knocked down before they fall down.

I will have a closer look on my way to the alehouse later.
Albufeira Resident

cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/July/2019 at 09:04
On further inspection more like 8 feet so definitely room sized.  I can just about make out a staircase to the roof, which seems logical.

There are also remains of doors interconnecting with neighbouring buildings.

I have some more pictures which I will post later.
Albufeira Resident

cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/July/2019 at 17:29
More pictures showing the doors and more of the structure. The demolition gang did a good job of removing most of the traces at the ground floor level.  They laid a concrete floor then cleared off it seems. Maybe it was one of those than the council have to demolish as being a danger.

Albufeira Resident

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic