Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Living in Albufeira / Viver em Albufeira » Algarve Foreign Residents / Residentes Estrangeiros
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Regular money transfers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote animallover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Regular money transfers
    Posted: 13/January/2019 at 19:09
Hi all

Does anyone regularly transfer money from UK to their Portuguese bank account and if so what currency broker do you use and is it free? I normally deposit euros in cash but spending more time in Portugal now.

Thank you in advance
Sponsored Links

DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DICEYUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/January/2019 at 20:11
Most Portuguese Banks have a system whereby you can transfer money from your UK Bank to your Portuguese Bank.
Our Banks are - Natwest (UK) and Santander Totta (Portugal).

We transfer money from our Natwest Bank account to a special Santander (UK) account.
This is all done in £.

That then gets converted into Euro and transferred overnight to our Santander Totta account in Portugal.

There is no fee for this and the exchange rate is circa 0.05 cents below the official bank rate so it is very generous compared to other methods of transferring money.

We did some on Friday and got 1.10 versus the bank rate of around 1.1050.

I understand from previous threads on this subject that other Portuguese Banks offer a similar service

Best talk to your Portuguese bank and find out what they can do.
I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
tiganut View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiganut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/January/2019 at 06:36
HI-FX for regular,or large amounts.
He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins
Captain Spalding View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Spalding Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/January/2019 at 06:45
Hi
Have a look at Revolut.
You get the bank rate or very close to it. Simple to use and transfers done quickly.
tonisdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonisdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/January/2019 at 18:42
Originally posted by animallover animallover wrote:

Hi all

Does anyone regularly transfer money from UK to their Portuguese bank account and if so what currency broker do you use and is it free? I normally deposit euros in cash but spending more time in Portugal now.

Thank you in advance

Halifax clarity card just use at ATM like you would at home. Almost perfect exchange rate. Most Portuguese ATMs are free but watch for the ones that charge. That is not the Halifax charging
Catucci View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catucci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/January/2019 at 12:59
Hi all

I use Centtrip which usually offer a great exchange rate.  Yesterday I exchanged £500 to euros at 1.1226 and I then transferred that to my Portugese a/c which was free to transfer.

XX
slugsurmamates View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slugsurmamates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/February/2019 at 16:13
I use Transferwise.com   Easy to move money from sterling into Euros or any other currency.  Best rates too.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic