Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Users Chit Chat / Conversa entre Utilizadores
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Get euros before coming or not?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gottfrieden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Get euros before coming or not?
    Posted: 28/August/2024 at 16:57
Hi guys,

I'm planning to travel to Portugal from the UK and was wondering if it was a better idea to get Euros before travelling or if it's better to exchange currencies after arriving? 

Also, I'm not sure about what company I should use to exchange currencies. I've heard of ChangeGroup but don't really know if it's a good operation. Have you ever used them?

Here is their website:   https://uk.changegroup.com/

Thanks for your help :)
Sponsored Links

cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/August/2024 at 09:11
You will always get about 2% more for cash if changing money in the UK. There are though much better and safer ways of bringing your spending money.

You can use a UK credit or debit card almost everywhere, except most taxis, some bars and smaller shops. The contactless limit here is €50.

If you withdraw cash as required from ATMs you get the commercial rate, not the tourist rate.

ALWAYS decline the offer of a local currency conversion. Pay in Euros and let your bank apply the conversion.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
Gottfrieden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gottfrieden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/August/2024 at 09:34
Thanks for the answer Cubsur!

The thing is usually my bank applies crazy exchange rates when paying on euros with my debit card.

And regarding withdrawing cash, most of ATM applies a fixed charge so even though the exchange rate is cheaper, for small transaction it's actually more expensive because of the fees. 

I'll contact my bank and ask them about exchange rates so I should be able to compare :)
pyrman View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyrman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/August/2024 at 12:07
The current exchange rate is 1.189 euros to pound. Ramsdens on the high street will give you 1.168 (book online)  Higher rates may be available with a Euro card ... UK banks do not usually give good rates.  You can walk into Tesco or Sainsbury`s and exchange cash at around 1.165.
Tesco`s are having a `sale` until Sep 5 ..
Pyrman
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/August/2024 at 09:30
The rate for cash exchange in town a couple of days ago was 1.085, which speaks for itself.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
AJSUGGY View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJSUGGY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/August/2024 at 12:33
Dont know which sainsburys or tesco offering that exchange rate was, as I went in my sainsburys here where I live, and they were offering 1.1129 Euro`s to the £ with a nectar card and 1 cent less without it. Just checked barclays business and they were offering me 1.1652 to the £ 
suggy
AJSUGGY View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJSUGGY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/August/2024 at 12:35
Dont know which sainsburys or Tesco he went to, but mine was offering 1.119 only.
Went on barclays and they were offering me 1.1652
suggy
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic