Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Miscellaneous / Diverso
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Temporary Closures.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cooknoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Temporary Closures.
    Posted: 12/November/2017 at 08:36
Arrived yesterday to lovely sunshine - great.
Out in the evening to find that two of our destinations (The Intermarche, and The Brothers Bar, both on Estrada das Acoteias) are closed as they are undergoing refurbishment. Both places are always busy in season and out, so hoping that the changes will be of benefit. Not sure about the changes being made to the Brother’s though, as the lovely sunny patio appears to be being covered in part.
Sponsored Links

DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DICEYUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/November/2017 at 15:40
It seems to be the fashion round here with bars & restaurants to cover patio's and terraces with a glass structure. Several have been done the last 2 or 3 years.
In most cases there seems little point as most people want to eat/drink outside and most of the places that have had it done close in the winter.
It's probably some sort of tax dodge - better to spend the money on tax deductible "improvements" rather than give it to the government.

As for Intermarche, when they took the store over from Alisuper they partitioned half the store off so it's currently only 50% the size it was. There have been rumours that now they've had a busy summer, and the Pine Cliffs are building 87 new apartments just across the road, they'll open up the unused space & return the store to it's full size.
No opening date on the door but they did put up Christmas lights outside yesterday so looks like they're planning to reopen soon.
I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
Cooknoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cooknoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/November/2017 at 16:23
Saw yesterday that the Christmas lights are being put up in the Intermarche, and peering through the window, the main area looks much longer.
The Brother’s Bar has now reopened, and has finally become a non smoking bar. The glass structure is there for the smokers who are clearly not happy, and have been sitting out there for the last three nights as if in a den. They seem to be making some kind of stance, rather than taking the sensible option of drinking and watching TV in the bar, then just going outside for a cigarette. The downside for everyone else is that the patio has been reduced by a third, so that when the holidaymakers come across in their hoards from the Pine Cliffs during the season, there will be nowhere for most of them to sit (unless they want to join the smokers in the outhouse) - 😜 Crazy!!
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DICEYUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/November/2017 at 07:08
So it's a smoking shelter then.
It begs the question of what exactly are they going to be sheltering from? Confused
I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
Cooknoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cooknoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/November/2017 at 07:37
Sheltering from nothing last night Dicey, as it appears that sense has prevailed after three evenings of sitting in the ‘Caixote’ as one disgruntled punter referred to it as on Wednesday. All were sitting inside watching the football, and guess what? They were going outside the door for a smoke.
What a total waste of money, in more ways than one, as when the patio is full, folks will head off elsewhere to find somewhere to drink outside and profits will drop.
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DICEYUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/November/2017 at 15:26
Intermarche reopend today. Slightly bigger, all new display units, aisles turned other way, fruit and veg near the door, much larger drinks section, a deli and a butcher.
Very smart, sleek and modern. Coviran, which is looking a bit tired, may need to get their act together and up their game.
Cooknoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cooknoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/November/2017 at 17:16
Thanks for the update Dicey, you must have read my thoughts.
Was thinking this morning that I would ask for a progress report on the Intermarche. Glad to hear that it has now reopened (before our visit due in late December). Also great news that they have a butcher and a deli, as decent meat was certainly in short supply previously.
When we were last there, we did find it a bit of a hike to the Coviran, as we are much closer to the Intermarche, however, I did like the butchers food down there, and the lady serving on the till was very pleasant indeed. These, together with the bonus of a drink and a bite to eat at Miriparque made the trip worthwhile 🍺
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DICEYUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/November/2017 at 19:28
They have butchers counter but as yet no actual butcher. Ditto the deli.
Probably wont be a butcher until the new year - just prepacked stuff at the mo.
Think you'll love the booze section though.
They are nice people in Coviran but the shop needs renovating and upgrading and they need more offers to compete with Intermarche.
ColinL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ColinL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/December/2017 at 17:08
Any update on the Intermarche under the OPH being reopened yet, we are due for two months in the CPO from early Jan 18. So looking where to get supplies if not reopened.

ty 

Colin

ohk forget that just seen the 29th nov posts after I posted mine.

Algarveaddick View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Algarveaddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/December/2017 at 18:00
Il Cappuccino fans, be aware they are shut until Jan 3rd.
Go away Duchatalet
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/December/2017 at 08:15
"Il Cappuccino fans, be aware they are shut until Jan 3rd."

As is 'Nuno's' in Páteo.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
vinnym View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinnym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/December/2017 at 08:16
Il Cappucinno closes every year at the festive period
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic