Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Local Transportation / Transportes Locais
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

French Invasion!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: French Invasion!
    Posted: 09/August/2017 at 10:10

The French seem to have invaded! There are many, many more French here than ever before. Obviously the incentives their Government are offering are the reason and whilst I have no issue with the French what I can tell you is their driving makes the Portuguese look good!

Honestly, in the past week, and we haven’t gone far preferring to relax in the gorgeous weather, we have a dozen instances of diabolical, rude, dangerous driving, and all these cars have French plates on.

Equally they think nothing of stopping in the road, no signals, whilst an occupant pops into the shop, blocking the road and when you sound the horn the aggression and gesticulation you are met with… plus, they stand their ground, they think it’s reasonable to keep whoever waiting while someone is buying whatever and then returns! Also islands, be very careful, there couldn’t be more carnage if they tried, why do they go to the right hand lane, indicate left and go all around the outside of the island to turn left nearly taking out cars at the first and second exit? Crazy.

Beware French plated cars.

On the plus side, my neighbour tells me property is selling quickly and prices have markedly increased and this is locally believed to be in response to increased demand from the French purchasers, certainly two in our cul-de- sac have sold in last four weeks to French families.

Andrew
Sponsored Links

Big Col View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Col Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/August/2017 at 11:01
So Tom's moonlighting for the Albufeira tourist board seems to be paying off!
Colin
Algarveaddick View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Algarveaddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/August/2017 at 12:05
They are a nightmare, and this year the Spanish seem to be taking a leaf from their book with their driving too. The favourite with all of them and the Portuguese is the lights half way up the hill between the two worlds and the dolphins. Forgot to go over to the filter lane to turn left? No problem, just stay in the middle lane and indicate so no one behind you can get past when the straight on lights go green...        
Go away Duchatalet
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/August/2017 at 09:23
Mon Dieu! Quel Horreur!!

True about the house sales. I was speaking with an estate agent a couple of months ago who said he was having to improve his French as most of the buyers were from there. At Balaia Golf Club all the signs are in French as well as English.

Let's hope the GNR are similarly linguistically adept and can crack down on les Français. I shall beware any French vehicles when I walk to the shops soon.

Stange though as while I was in France most drivers were very polite to me on my vélo, giving way at junctions etc.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
Jock View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/August/2017 at 10:22
Interesting. My language was Latin so French is alien to me (geddit?). I had to google vélo. Now I know why my father called a bike a velocipede.
I learn something every day.
It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As pretty as an Airport' appear. Douglas Adams
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/August/2017 at 16:43
Andrew was right! I had not walked 100 metres from my front door when I had seen six French registered cars. Mercifully four of them were parked.

Vélo(cipède) seems more common in France than bicylette what was the word i learned at school.

And French people do say 'Ooh Là Là'. Really.
Albufeira Resident

Analogue.man.in.a.di View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analogue.man.in.a.di Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/September/2017 at 16:13
Originally posted by Andrew Andrew wrote:

The French seem to have invaded! There are many, many more French here than ever before. Obviously the incentives their Government are offering are the reason and whilst I have no issue with the French what I can tell you is their driving makes the Portuguese look good!

Honestly, in the past week, and we haven’t gone far preferring to relax in the gorgeous weather, we have a dozen instances of diabolical, rude, dangerous driving, and all these cars have French plates on.

Equally they think nothing of stopping in the road, no signals, whilst an occupant pops into the shop, blocking the road and when you sound the horn the aggression and gesticulation you are met with… plus, they stand their ground, they think it’s reasonable to keep whoever waiting while someone is buying whatever and then returns! Also islands, be very careful, there couldn’t be more carnage if they tried, why do they go to the right hand lane, indicate left and go all around the outside of the island to turn left nearly taking out cars at the first and second exit? Crazy.

Beware French plated cars.

On the plus side, my neighbour tells me property is selling quickly and prices have markedly increased and this is locally believed to be in response to increased demand from the French purchasers, certainly two in our cul-de- sac have sold in last four weeks to French families.

AGREED - TOTAL NIGHTMARE. The worst of the lot are their lorry drivers. As a regular user of French roads I've come to the conclusion that's there's a tacit agreement with le-flic that they can do whatever they like to foreign plated cars short of death. I regularly see supposedly speed-limited 90Km/hr French lorries doing in excess of 110.
pyrman View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyrman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/September/2017 at 09:35
And there`ll be a bar called `Petit France` ...
Pyrman
Algarveaddick View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Algarveaddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/September/2017 at 16:30
I doubt it - the worst thing is the French are less likely to be caught spending than the Dutch...  
Go away Duchatalet
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/September/2017 at 23:57
Originally posted by pyrman pyrman wrote:

And there`ll be a bar called `Petit France` ...

To add to 'Little Britain' and there is quite likely a 'Deutsches Haus', a 'Bar Romania' and possibly Мой маленький русский уголок.

Let's put up the prices for the French only, after all that's what they are used to. Un demi pression, monsieur? Ça fait 2,50€ síl vous plaît.

Maybe that's why they charge that already at Balaia Golf Club!
Albufeira Resident

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic