Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Local Transportation / Transportes Locais
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTrain or bus to Lisbon

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Train or bus to Lisbon
    Posted: 17/January/2017 at 14:13
Good afternoon Albufeira!
As a newcomer I am not familiar with this forum so I hope I have placed this thread in the appropriate place.  If not, please forgive me and do, please, feel free to advise.
I am coming to Albufeira for five weeks in February and have already booked two nights in Lisbon.  I should be grateful for local advice on how best to travel - by bus or by train.
Having looked around various websites there appear to be pros and cons.
Can anybody help, please?
Colin in Cumbria
Sponsored Links

Algarveaddick View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/January/2017 at 14:23
The train is good if you can get to the station okay - it's 5 miles out of town, there is a bus you can catch if you don't have a car or can't afford a taxi. If you book far enough in advance, you can usually get a 1st class ticket for €15 each way. It's clean and comfortable and you can walk about, the buffet car is reasonable (by UK standards...).

I have never caught the coach, but I know one plus point with that is you can pick it up in the centre of the Old Town.
Go away Duchatalet
Big Col View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/January/2017 at 19:52
Colin in Cumbria- welcome to the forum from Colin in Tyne and Wear 😁
Colin
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/January/2017 at 09:10
"
I have never caught the coach, but I know one plus point with that is you can pick it up in the centre of the Old Town."

That applies only to about half the daily 12 - 15 journeys. The others go from the main bus station, 1 mile or so from the town centre.  A return ticket is about €36, no discounrts for advance purchase. Times and tickets at www.rede-expressos.pt - look for Albufeira Centro for those that start in the old town.

In both cases, the stopping places in Lisbon are some way from the city centre,  about 15 minutes by metro (underground) from the city centre.

NB reservations are compulsory on the trains and the really cheap fares are only available if you book more than 8 days in advance. Go to www.cp.pt and click EN at the top right for everything in English.

Both bus and train tickets are sent by email for home printing or text message if you register a suitable phone. Finally, both train adn bus websites will ask for ID number, so have your passport number handy. They do sometimes check! And take it with you. Carrying ID is required here by law and you will need it for the hotel also.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
Sheddweller View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/January/2017 at 09:24
Algarveaddick and cubsur:  Thankyou for your responses - train it is then!  Soon after my original post I belatedly noticed that there are 5 more pages to the 'Transportation' forum and, having read through them, found lots of good stuff about my trip.  But mainly I should like to thank you, and the 80'odd others who viewed the post, for resisting the temptation to point that out to me and make me feel even more foolish!!
Big Col:  Thankyou, I appreciate that.
Colin 
tonisdad View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/January/2017 at 17:42
Just jumping on the end of this thread. Is there anywhere when booking accommodation that should be avoided or that anybody can recommend.
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/January/2017 at 10:01
Anywhere in Lisbon?Not really, you will get lower prices if you stay 5 or 6 stops out of the city along the metro lines. If you want to be bang in the middle, search for hotels in the Rossio and Restauradores areas.

Lisbon metro is cheap, €1,45 for a single trip, €6,15 all day plus 50 cents for the rechareable ticket card.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
Sheddweller View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/February/2017 at 11:41
Reference my original post - I have just bought train tickets online.  Very simple and efficient.
First Class return - 27 Euros!!
Thankyou for your help.
Colin in Cumbria

tonisdad View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/February/2017 at 15:57
Originally posted by cubsur cubsur wrote:

Anywhere in Lisbon?Not really, you will get lower prices if you stay 5 or 6 stops out of the city along the metro lines. If you want to be bang in the middle, search for hotels in the Rossio and Restauradores areas.

Lisbon metro is cheap, €1,45 for a single trip, €6,15 all day plus 50 cents for the rechareable ticket card.

Thanks for that must have missed when post was made.
pyrman View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/February/2017 at 09:58
I stayed in the basic Pensao Nova Goa, just 100 metres from Rossio Metro station two weeks ago, with rolls, cheese and ham, and/or cereal for breakfast .. there are three big squares around there and the magnificent Ave. Liberdade ...  yellow bus tours go from next to metro entrance. It was ok, incredible tv channels, lots of english movies, even Sport tv and Porto tv ...  more upmarket places nearby if you wish ... cost 25 euros b&b ... booking.com will reserve, but you pay at the hotel.
Pyrman
aarenabbi View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/April/2017 at 06:36
Train is best option for you.  In train you can reach your destination early compare to bus.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic