Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Algarve
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRammed, the place is rammed!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rammed, the place is rammed!
    Posted: 04/August/2016 at 15:51
I guess overall, for the sake of the traders, I'm pleased to see it... the place is heaving, absolutley rammed. Last night in Old Town virtually every restaurant had people queueing for tables, yesterday and today lunch time Gale beach is close to gridlock, you can't get onto, never mind down the access road, an ambulance (sadly) was needed today and couldn't get down, the cafe's and bars are just shrugging shoulders, they are just overwhelmed, no chance of a table, no chance of a spot to stand, they are just rammed out!!! Everywhere is manic!
Andrew
Sponsored Links

carolenclive View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/August/2016 at 18:46
We were over last year arrived the in the middle of the last week of the school holidays and the end of the Portuguese holiday and it was as you say Manic.To me no pleasure at all but good for the traders,restaurants and bars.The difference after the weekend was unbelievable a mass exodus,back to normality still busy but room on the beaches and no queueing at restaurants.Not that I would.
caz
Algarveaddick View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/August/2016 at 07:56
No comparison with last year, honest Carol. Add about 25% to that and you are close to the mark. It's back to how it was eight or nine years ago. The manners, parking and driving of the Portuguese (and French) is a sight to behold - every time we leave the house we see about three near misses. If you get off the beaten track a bit you can find it a little quieter, but we are booking restaurants, or eating very early if we do venture out. Ironically in August, One 4 the Road isn't madly busy, because the Brits are mostly those with kids that are only interested in joining the mad throng in town, and then getting back to their hotel for the young ones bed time, or they are on the dreaded all inclusive. Other nationalities are not big drinkers, despite the low prices. The start of the football season will improve matters for the "drinkers" bars.    
Go away Duchatalet

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/August/2016 at 08:35
God It must be a nightmare just trying to get around.So looking forward to our trip in September,5 nights in Lisbon and then 7 relaxing days in Albufeira.Cant come too soon.
caz
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/August/2016 at 09:09
Please save my place at the bar for Tuesday evening, 16th August.

Should be a few in tonight, with Newcastle playing in lower echelon.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
tiganut View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/August/2016 at 15:51
Is that anywhere near Putney?The home of FFC,by the river Thames.
He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins
Andrew View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/August/2016 at 13:32
AA is right, the driving standards are dire! Twice now when we were on an island a car has pulled out causing us to break, hard, and both times the drivers have jesticulated at us! Woa, we are on the island, you pulled out in front of us!!! I just do not get it! The roads are overloaded so peoples driving standards or safety margin have just gone, when we go out we don't adopt 'aggresive' mode, we adopt 'survive' mode!
Actually we are avoiding old town altogether, if we go out we head in land or down the coast away from the hoardes who think driving like you're at the fair ground on the bumper cars is acceptable!
Loving the weather but not happy with the crowds and how busy shops, bars etc in town are and the driving? Plain stupid, crazy.
Andrew
cheekygirl View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/August/2016 at 17:49
Just looked at the webcam beach is packed.
Loving it in the sun

jo9832 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/August/2016 at 20:47
Hi we go on Friday not been since 2012 . I have been reading some awful stuff on trip advisor that the old town has become some sort of Magaluf with lots of rowdy stag and hens and people weeing in the street. Can someone tell me honestly how it really is? We are staying on the marina but like to go into the old town for something to eat and a few drinks before going back. Going into panic mode because that isn't the old town I remember. We always holiday in August so know it will be busy . THANKS

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/August/2016 at 21:16
I dont think you need to worry stay around the Marina area ,use the beaches around Salgados /Gale and venture to the Old town if need be.I an sure you will have a wonderful time there is more to Albufeira than the old town
caz
peteknopp View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/August/2016 at 22:16
Very few hens and stags now - if any. Cost too high to justify a p"ss up. I've been at work til 10pm and the Strip is busy but fine around our area - maybe later and further down it becomes a bit raucous later but we're rammed with families and everyone having a real blast with no complaints. Even earlier in the year, the number of people on hens and stags or out to get lashed is such a very small %age of the number of people on the street as to make them insignificant - yes, if they tumble into a bar where you are chilling it's not so good but it would surely take repeated events like this to annoy anyone - there are just so many places/areas to use that stay blissful and fun all the time.
jo9832 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/August/2016 at 23:03
Thanks my sister has flown out tonight with 3 friends and i am sat here thinking I've sent her to a magaluf place shes not been before you see. Going to stop over thinking it and look forward to coming on Friday ☺
tonisdad View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/August/2016 at 09:13
Originally posted by Andrew Andrew wrote:

AA is right, the driving standards are dire! Twice now when we were on an island a car has pulled out causing us to break, hard, and both times the drivers have jesticulated at us! Woa, we are on the island, you pulled out in front of us!!! I just do not get it! The roads are overloaded so peoples driving standards or safety margin have just gone, when we go out we don't adopt 'aggresive' mode, we adopt 'survive' mode!
Actually we are avoiding old town altogether, if we go out we head in land or down the coast away from the hoardes who think driving like you're at the fair ground on the bumper cars is acceptable!
Loving the weather but not happy with the crowds and how busy shops, bars etc in town are and the driving? Plain stupid, crazy.

I just take pulling out on you at a roundabout as par for the course now, I have even thought are the laws different to UK and you hit them when they pull out are you in the wrong?
My favourite is on a roundabout when they are in right hand lane and decide to go left.
No indication or apologetic look  then look at you as if you are daft and should have known what they are doing Confused.

stuart123 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/August/2016 at 15:57
Originally posted by jo9832 jo9832 wrote:

Hi we go on Friday not been since 2012 . I have been reading some awful stuff on trip advisor that the old town has become some sort of Magaluf with lots of rowdy stag and hens and people weeing in the street. Can someone tell me honestly how it really is?

I'm also over in the marina next week, don't worry the place is fine.  It will be busy in the old town, but its not Magaluf!

Andrew View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/August/2016 at 18:37
Actually it's weird, can't quite reconcile what is going on.
Old Town at night, rammed.
Roads/traffic, rammed and standards are dire! From Marina to Bullring it's just stupid, whacky races!
Just been to Strip, to meet some friends, like a grave yard! Pick your bar and table, no one there! Even parking, anywhere you like, loads of places, just pull up. (and that's on the actual Strip!!!). 
Beaches: Old Town, rammed, Gale busy (if you can get there), Salgados, hardly anyone there...  AdP (we walked there for a change as Gale is rammed) the beach was stupid, you couldn't put a handkercheif down never mind a towel, bars and restaurants were all empty, touts begging for custom.
It's all very strange, the roads are rammed, some places are rammed at some times, other places are just... not.
There is clearly many, many tourists/visitors here but what is frequented, and when, doesn't seem to have much logic to it.
Andrew
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic