Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Algarve
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Algarve cheapest European holiday destination..
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAlgarve cheapest European holiday destination..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Algarve cheapest European holiday destination..
    Posted: 06/March/2016 at 09:52
... according to the latest annual Post Office survey. See here:-

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/jan/15/cheapest-holiday-spending-algarve-bulgaria-cape-town
Andrew
Sponsored Links

pyrman View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/March/2016 at 10:12
yes .... it just takes the UK media around 30 years to catch up ...
Pyrman
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/March/2016 at 19:37
According to the Post Office, a fall in prices over the past year and a strengthening of the pound against the euro has left Portugal’s Algarve the cheapest destination for UK tourists to spend money.

Personally, I haven't noticed any drop in prices over the past year and I've spent 5 months there during that time so I'm not sure about that claim.

Even though this article is dated 15th January one wonders when the PO survey was done because the exchange rate is currently 4 cents below what is was last year at this time (10 cents below what it was last summer) so that sort of blows that part of the arguement out the water.

If they published the actual shopping basket figures there would be diddly squat difference between the lowest 5 or 6 destinations.
Then on top of that, those prices would only apply if you bought exactly the same items that are in their shopping basket - and nobody ever does.

As usual, these reports, which are only designed to promote the Post Office currency exchange facility, are meaningless and not worth the paper they're written on.
I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
Algarveaddick View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/March/2016 at 10:56
Thanks for that positive and encouraging spin on some good news for Albufeira Dicey.

With "friends" like you...

In all seriousness, I tend to agree when it comes to bar prices for example, in fact, mindful of the predicted bumper year ahead I note that the "Happy Hour" prices offered by all the bars in and around the square is now €2.50 for a large beer, a mighty increase from last year. I dread to think what they will be charging come midnight... Though having said that, as you and other regulars will know, that's probably the first increase in about ten years, a time during which wholesale prices have gone up considerably, as have overheads in all departments, and VAT by 10%. So it is probably actually bringing it back in line with what it should be. Local bars, such as my regular, continue to charge about €2.50 no matter what time it is, no creeping prices there.   
pyrman View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/March/2016 at 11:02
I am doing around 60 days in Albufeira from just before easter ... same again from mid-September ... and it is coming out around £100 cheaper each trip this year. Each time I do maybe three or four hotels, self-catering .. with one or two I haven`t been to before, so it should be a good measure.

It would be easy to put up prices when you see the crowds coming .. but as you know, there is so much competition, it presents a big risk to your business and reputation. Seems most hotels, etc, are keeping prices as tight as possible ... in the meantime.
Pyrman
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/March/2016 at 11:08
Originally posted by Algarveaddick Algarveaddick wrote:

Thanks for that positive and encouraging spin on some good news for Albufeira Dicey.

The really good news is that there are 1,000's of people who are gullible enough to believe it.

Standard price for a large beer in Acoteias is €1.80 (or at least it was when we left on the 25th Feb) but that is a 30c rise on the €1.50 Euro they were charging last year.
I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
bob d View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/March/2016 at 15:29
1.80 for a large beer???   Can't complain about that.
we're not brazil we're norn iron
Patti View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/March/2016 at 15:46
Is Acoteias out of Albufeira ? Where is the cheapest in albufeira for a beer anyone
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/March/2016 at 16:25
Originally posted by Patti Patti wrote:

Is Acoteias out of Albufeira ? Where is the cheapest in albufeira for a beer anyone

Yes & no.
For address purposes it is classed as being part of Albufeira as it lies within the built up area of Albufeira.
However, it's not actually part of the what is classed as the Town of Albufeira.
As the crow flies it's less than 4 miles from the centre (Modelo)
It's famous for Falesia Beach, several 5* hotels (that all claim to be in Albufeira) and cheap beer Wink

pyrman View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/March/2016 at 17:06
I`ve seen 1.75 for a large beer ... little bar on 1 dezembro ... and the new one opposite Bullring .. at the bus stop.
Pyrman
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/March/2016 at 17:25
The Bullring & the immediate surrounding area is a dump/tip/eyesore.
Probably need to have cheap beer to get anybody to go there.
Jayjan View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/March/2016 at 21:51
Nothing wrong with the bar on the bullring & the new one Pyrman mentions, they   are  ok, clean & friendly. Shame other units on the bullring itself   are empty which makes the area look bad.
Polli the dancing cat strikes again.
Patti View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/March/2016 at 22:32
Thanks everyone, we re up in the Rocamar this time so we ll just have to try lots bars nearby 😉 To seek out cheap beer 😊
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/March/2016 at 06:13
Originally posted by Jayjan Jayjan wrote:

Nothing wrong with the bar on the bullring & the new one Pyrman mentions, they   are  ok, clean & friendly. Shame other units on the bullring itself   are empty which makes the area look bad.

In that area they are at last finishing off this hotel/apartment block on Estrada de Santa Eulalia which has been "unfinished" for as long as we can remember - when we went past on the bus in February it was all systems go, workmen crawling all over it and they were painting it black. Perhaps the new owners are Stones fans Wink

pyrman View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/March/2016 at 10:02
Must have sold it to a bigger group ... just down the road Palmeiras de Santa Eulalia .. 100 rooms ... is still closed ... hopefully someone will pick it up when they see the market rise. But it will be nice to see that bus stop corner cleaned up ..

Pyrman
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic