Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Algarve
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flight Watch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 83>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Super__Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/February/2012 at 09:11
S1gh

I agree. You only get what you pay for and Ryanair's "cheap flights?" make it easier for me to visit Albufeira at least a couple of times a year.
The more expensive the cost of travel, the fewer travelers you will get. Is this why Albufeira is like a ghost town just now?
I honestly have never had a problem with Ryanair (or any other Airline) and have travelled with them very many times. I have also travelled a couple of times First Class to Newark through my job and in my opinion the price difference is probably worth it as it is an 8 hour flight
The cost of a return flight from Scotland to Faro is £70 and takes 2 hours 45 minutes.
The cost of a return train ticket from Glasgow to London is Â£90 and takes 4 hous 30 mins

I am not knocking train travel I am just trying to keep thing in perspective.

Note! there are NO Ryanair flights to FARO from Scotland on a Saturday in 2012 They have either been snapped up by travel firms or for a reason do not know of.

Flying from Scotland to Lisbon using BA Is a non starter for me As I would need to change flights at Heathrow and then somehow get to Albufeira from Lisbon. It would be time to come home before i got there.

Ally
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/February/2012 at 09:54
BA, Monarch and Easyjet all fly London Gatwick to Faro. If you book well in advance prices are quite reasonable (if you avoid Saturdays) and of course BA don't charge for first hold bag, seat choice, water, air etc.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
Super__Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Super__Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/February/2012 at 10:24
Cubsur
Thats great if you stay in the south.  My problem would be getting from Glasgow to Gatwick.
It is cheaper to fly to the moon.
Ive flown with all three of the airlines you mention and in my opinon there is not much difference in the standard of service of any of them. (BA being the best) But having said that I always pay for priority boarding with Ryanair and beat the mad rush.
I might be giving the impression that I think Ryanair and wonderful, well I dont believe that for a second i just think they offer a fair service for the money I pay.

There is a definite need for a low cost method of getting holiday makers to Albufeira in order to allow the pubs and restuarants and other satelite businesses to survive. As has been previously said the less spent on travel, the more spent on "sustinance"

Ally
Jock View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/February/2012 at 11:17
No one has mentioned Jet2.  I used them Edinburgh-Faro in Feb 11 & we'll be using them again this June.
It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As pretty as an Airport' appear. Douglas Adams
john2604smith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john2604smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/February/2012 at 11:34
I am lucky for Airports where I live, I have Leeds Bradford an hour away and Newcastle an hour away. Flights with Ryan air, Jet 2, easy jet, so I am spoilt for choice really  Thumbs Up
ownersdirect P3708
Super__Ally View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Super__Ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/February/2012 at 11:41
I have never flew Jet2 but a collegue has a holiday home in Spain and wont hear a bad word against them as he uses them frequently.

Ally
Jayjan View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jayjan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/February/2012 at 13:00
We normally use Monarch or Jet2 from Manchester. Ryanair are also available but never yet flown with them, besides the rip off  luggage charges its the admin fee or thats what O'leary calls it (Booking fees) charged for every person on each leg of flight that really gets my goat, plus flight times are not ideal late afternoon departing & early evening returning. I would sooner have morning/lunchtime flights. We also have a choice of Easyjet from Liverpool & just over an hour away we have Blackpool or Leeds Bradford. 
Travis B. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Travis B. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/February/2012 at 00:08
Originally posted by Travis B. Travis B. wrote:

I haven't been to Albufeira for years, but my son flies into Seville then drives to Silves, Carvoiero, or Tavira if he goes to the Algarve. 

Went out to dinner with my son and his wife on Tuesday evening.
He told me that his wife's cousin had offered them the use of their villa in Carvoiero this year. So I told him about this forum, suggesting that he checked it out, particularly the posts about RyanAir, and asked the reason that he had favoured flying into Seville in the past when he visited the Algarve.
He said, "First of all the flights to Seville were cheaper in the school holidays than flights to Faro, and second of all, Gill and I don't qualify to fly RyanAir."
I fell for it and asked how so?
He said, "Neither of us has a tattoo, nor a shell suit."  
Seefood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seefood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/February/2012 at 09:37

I haven't been to Albufeira for years, but my son flies into Seville then drives to Silves, Carvoiero, or Tavira if he goes to the Algarve. 

He told me that his wife's cousin had offered them the use of their villa in Carvoiero this year. So I told him about this forum, suggesting that he checked it out, particularly the posts about RyanAir, and asked the reason that he had favoured flying into Seville in the past when he visited the Algarve.

He said, "First of all the flights to Seville were cheaper in the school holidays than flights to Faro, and second of all, Gill and I don't qualify to fly RyanAir."

He said, "Neither of us has a tatooo, nor a shell soot."  

Hi Travis, welcome to the forum

I fully understand your Son going for the cheaper option of flying into Seville as not everyone can afford to fly RYANAIR, but I fear it might be false economy as the cost of getting from Seville to The Algarve would outweigh any savings made by purchasing a cheapo flight. The cheapest options are not always the best.
Tell you Son and his wife that they do infact qualify to fly on RYANAIR as Ryanair welcome people from all walks of life. From "the wealthy" to the people who scrimp and scrape just to get a week in the sun.

In the height of the summer Ryanair fly in more than 25,000 people to The Algarve per week. Take Ryanair out of the equation and I am afraid it would be hard times ahead for the bar and restuarant owners in The Algarve.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john2604smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/February/2012 at 10:31
Plus the majority of the people with a tattoo or shell suit are probably on the Alicante or Tenerife flight,  Wink
ownersdirect P3708
el birnn View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el birnn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/February/2012 at 12:06
Originally posted by Seefood Seefood wrote:

He said, "Neither of us has a tatooo, nor a shell soot."  

Hi Travis, welcome to the forum

I fully understand your Son going for the cheaper option of flying into Seville as not everyone can afford to fly RYANAIR, but I fear it might be false economy as the cost of getting from Seville to The Algarve would outweigh any savings made by purchasing a cheapo flight. The cheapest options are not always the best.
Tell you Son and his wife that they do infact qualify to fly on RYANAIR as Ryanair welcome people from all walks of life. From "the wealthy" to the people who scrimp and scrape just to get a week in the sun.

In the height of the summer Ryanair fly in more than 25,000 people to The Algarve per week. Take Ryanair out of the equation and I am afraid it would be hard times ahead for the bar and restuarant owners in The Algarve.

I dont really agree on that..Summer holiday flights are always much more expensive, and by going via seville there is a lot of money to be saved.
Been flying in the last 2 years via seville from holland with my 2 kids. Return ticket (vuelling.com out and ryanair back) totalled 160€ per person...had i opted for the direct flight to faro back and forth,the price was 920€ per person...
Simple calculation left me with 2280 € to get back and forth from seville....
On top of that flights left at normal times and not p*** in the morning..plus the fact than when travelling with kids,isla magica is like 5 min away from seville airport....
Will be flying in again this summer via seville ...for sure
Nunc bibendum est
Seefood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seefood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/February/2012 at 12:33
El Birnn
I take your point, you are of course correct, and well done for finding a low cost method of getting to where you want to go using two different airlines (Ryanair and Vue) without paying exhorbitant prices. I think you have just proved that it is perfectly OK to travel to The Algarve (Albufeira) using low cost air travel.
P.S. Are you a professional fisherman by any chance?
DICEYUK View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DICEYUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/February/2012 at 12:45
Originally posted by el birnn el birnn wrote:

had i opted for the direct flight to faro back and forth,the price was 920€ per person...

Wow, that's really over the top. Who was that with?
We've been coming here for 10 years at all times of the year, including spells in either July or August during the summers and we've never paid more than about £150 return each - usually a lot less.

Usually fly Easyjet from either Luton or Stansted, have used BMI, Ruinair, Monarch, BA & TAP (avoid at all costs) on occassions but I've never ever seen prices like €920 each - not even business class on BA.

You can get an all inclusive package holiday for 2 weeks for that sort of money or even less.

Have you not looked into flying Amsterdam to the UK then UK to Faro?

I hate how peopleï compare Frank Zappa to God. I mean, he's cool and great and nice and everything, but he's no Zappa.
ant1969 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ant1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/February/2012 at 13:48
i actually dont mind ryanair - for the short trip faro they are ideal - i dont want to spend lots on my flight - i prefer to have the money in my pocket to enjoy my hols - and saying that i have just seen a return deal with ryanair flying out on 22 may from east mids for one week for £89 - how good is that - looks like i could be there sooner than i had anticipated!!Big smile
com amor e cumprimentos Donna x

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john2604smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/February/2012 at 14:08
I have just flown Jet2 out and Ryanair back, Jet2 was £60 and Ryanair was £30. I am not bothered who I fly with, I can put up with it for 3 hours to ensure I can get to Albufeira !! 
ownersdirect P3708
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 83>
  Share Topic