Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Beaches / As Praias
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Albufeira's beaches today

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 115>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desmond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/December/2009 at 19:51
great photo cubsur. where is that beach?

can you recommend any good beachfront walks from CPO with our pushchair?

thanks.
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/December/2009 at 20:01
Desmond - my picture (and Sydnie's a couple of posts back) is the the main beach of Albufeira old town. You can see the pier. There is an escalator at that end (from near the bus stops down into town) and a lift near the rock pinnacle at the other, Boavista end.

Of course there are no deckchairs etc at this time of year but it has been warm enough for adults and kids to enjoy the walk and digging around respectively.

You cannot walk along the beach from CPO except for a short distance (maybe 200 yards) along the Oura beach onto which CPO joins. The various small beaches are separated by cliffs and the only path is one that goats would find difficult in places.

In the old town area you can walk several hundred yards along the beaches when the tide is out. However at this time of year the sea comes right up to the base of the cliffs along several stretches and it can be a bit rough.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
desmond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desmond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/December/2009 at 20:26
Thanks Cubsur. Best to know beforehand.
Ted Taylor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted Taylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/December/2009 at 13:52
Hi desmond, we usually stay at the CPO and you can walk in the opposite direction towards St Eulalia beach for quite a distance, I'm not sure if you can walk all the way to St Eulalia in the mornings when the tide is out, it's years since we tried and we had to do a fair bit of climbing because the tide was in but I'm sure someone on here will known,
regards ted n pat
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/December/2009 at 18:48
You can walk round from CPO to Sta Eulalia in fact even as far as Olhos D'Agua at shore level but only when the tide is fully out  and certainly not at this time of year. I have done this, both ways, and it is a bit of a scramble from time to time over wet rocks even at low tide. You don't have much of a window between tides, so it's important to be aware of the state of the sea.

The cliff path is very iffy on that stretch and there are some very narrow bits and some very steep slopes. I haevn't been over there since the summer and it is highly likely that the winter will bring more erosion to the area, which is little fragile.

Albufeira Resident

john2604smith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john2604smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/December/2009 at 21:41
Don't forget, also the recent earthquake might have loosened some of the rocks and cliffs,remember the tradgedy in the Summer !
ownersdirect P3708
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/December/2009 at 10:36
Good point and the recent rains will also have loosened things if the embankment by the road near me is anything to go by.
Albufeira Resident

cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/February/2010 at 12:17
Praia do Peneco and Praia dos Pescadores yesterday at about 130pm

Albufeira Resident

cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/February/2010 at 12:20
Could be a problem using the lift!

Albufeira Resident

J2me View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J2me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/February/2010 at 12:35
I hope that is a 'high' tide in the photo Cubsur.  I know the base of the lift gets hit in storms but I had rather hoped that it only happened occasionally !!!!  whisteling
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/February/2010 at 13:44
The tide had just turned. Although it was a full tide, the sea was not particularly rough as you can see from this other picture I took a few minutes later.

Albufeira Resident

el birnn View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el birnn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/February/2010 at 14:37
that looks rather dramatically...have they closed the lift down or what?
Nunc bibendum est
Avril View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Avril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/February/2010 at 15:40
I used the lift once last summer, once was enough!! You couldnt pay me to get on it when the sea is as close as that!
gerry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/February/2010 at 22:22
What's wrong Avril are you afraid of getting wet?
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/February/2010 at 09:40
I didn't see anyone using the lift in the 15 minutes or so I was there but neither did I see a sign saying 'lift closed' so I guess it's just a matter of common sense i.e. don't use the lift if the sea is breaking over the path and covering the beach.

It's Ok in summer when the tides are not so high.
Albufeira Resident

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 115>
  Share Topic