Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Beaches / As Praias
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Albufeira's beaches today

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 105106107108109 115>
Author
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teresa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/May/2021 at 23:47
Originally posted by Teresa Teresa wrote:

I was wondering the same re whether there would be any financial benefit and, even if there were financial benefits, are more tourists wanted?

I've heard/seen more than one article discussing the tourist problems with crowds, fights, etc. I believe more at the Ouro strip than Old town??  For those of you who seem to be there regularly, do you see this as a worsening problem?

Albufeira is already so full and jammed during the summer months that much of it's culture/charm has changed.  I love what it is but I, for one, wouldn't want it to lose more of it's charm.  Many years ago, I drove not far out of Albufeira and ended up in what I think may have been Pera???  I did not find it to be a pretty location (but I may not have been in the 'right place').  It was just block after block after block of high rise hotels and/or condos.  Street level was just tourist shops, fast food, etc.    It seemed to be a town built specifically for tourists....  when compared to the architecture of Albufeira or Lagos.

While property value increases would be great, I wouldn't want to see it come at the expense of losing what makes the destination special.  (But, I do think a promenade between Peneco and Praia da Oura would be great! Thumbs Up )
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/May/2021 at 09:11
" think may have been Pera???"

Armação de Pêra it would have been. The original village has long since been swallowed up by concrete and glass. (There is a linked village called Pêra a few km inland.)

The question of numbers is a good one. People have been coming to Albufeira for years only to find themselves billeted up to 4km from the town and beaches. Not that the beach is particularly important these says, but if the town has to expand further outwards it will be worse for many.

Building upwards is the answer and there are vacant areas where this could be done.  But the pressure on the town's infrastructure would be enormous. Already, the 25,000 resident population became 100,000 in the peak sumemr months. Someone to has to keep the town clean etc.

We have seen a lot of new building this past five years but also many failed ventures now slowly falling into ruin. They could resurrected if anyone had the money and desire. Meanwhile the second phase of the marina development will add around 350 more tourist apartments, if they ever get built.

"I believe more at the Ouro strip than Old town??"

That end of town is (was) where the majority of nightclubs and clip joints are located. If they are allowed to open this summer, it could be very bad over there especially, with the thousands coming from UK, France, Germany, Ireland etc etc who haven't been able to go out at night for 18 months.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
Teresa View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teresa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/May/2021 at 14:53
Good point re infrastructure...  this must limit some construction of larger multi-unit buildings within close proximity to beaches within Albufeira.  (Probably a good thing.)  Just out of curiosity, are the locals generally for or against continued development within Albufeira?  It clearly adds jobs now and later but it comes with trade-offs.

I'm a bit surprised that development happens inland, away from beach.  I'd thought there was still a fair amount of land along the coastline east of Albufeira??  But, perhaps, then you lose the proximity to the centre of town??

In all my trips there, I've never spent any time at the marina!  Have driven by tons of times but have never actually gone into the area...  Years ago (and I think it was after the financial crisis, when much was closed), I'd heard it wasn't really worth the effort and, since then, I never made it a priority.  With the pics/discussions I've seen here, I'm definitely visiting on my next trip!Smile

And, yes, I expect lots of pent-up demand to blow in the next few months!  The Roaring 20s all over again.  You're right in that it could get crazy - I hope they keep it safe!
bob d View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bob d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/May/2021 at 22:41
The Marina is definitely on the up. A very nice place to spend an afternoon sipping a cold one. 
we're not brazil we're norn iron
Jock View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/May/2021 at 12:33
Agreed Bob. Very relaxing.
It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As pretty as an Airport' appear. Douglas Adams
Teresa View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teresa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/May/2021 at 14:24
Something new to look forward to! Beer
AJSUGGY View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJSUGGY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/May/2021 at 19:38
I see the Cottage Restaurant made the main BBC evening news tonight with and interview of Pete.
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/May/2021 at 07:57
There are fairly strict rules concerning new development along the actual coastline.  The geology doesn't help, being crumbly sandstone cliffs.

The main concern for locals is the rising cost of housing. With one bed apartments selling for €250,000 and a weekly tourist rental easily fetching €1000 a week in a normal summer, it's easy to understand how a couple earning maybe €2,500 a month between them (often working 60+ hours a week in summer) find it hard to find somewhere affordable to live.

Getting more people to the beaches is one thing, finding enough people to service the restaurants and bars is something else.
Albufeira Resident

Teresa View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teresa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/May/2021 at 14:17
That all makes sense.  I didn't realize prices were so high, to own or rent, in Albufeira.  I know, pre-pandemic, Lisbon hotel prices had almost doubled but I wasn't aware of how high they had also moved in Albufeira.

But, aside from the impact of covid, with demand driving the ownership/rental prices, how can there be so many abandoned developments?  I think some of these developments have been stopped for years, so pre-pandemic??
Algarveaddick View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Algarveaddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/May/2021 at 17:54
A combination of failing to get the right planning permission, running out of funds and failing to grease the right palms (allegedly)...  
Go away Duchatalet
Teresa View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teresa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/May/2021 at 19:02
That's crazy.  So much money wasted and potential left to rot.  But, should represent opportunities for someone??  (Wish it could be me!  Cool)
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/May/2021 at 08:35
You can, I have been told, buy the abandoned Oceanville development in Páteo for €1 plus the accumulated debts. Then you will need 10 million or so to get it back into habitable condition after ten years of being left empty.

It is however 1.5km from the beach.
Albufeira Resident

Teresa View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teresa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/May/2021 at 14:48
hmmmm, now is that €10m or C$10m...  'cuz makes a difference, you know!  Cud make or break the deal!  lol

1.5km from beach?!?  Nah,  I think I'd like to buy that building next to Casa del Mar!  Wink

Jock View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/May/2021 at 15:27
It's a doddle going downhill.
It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As pretty as an Airport' appear. Douglas Adams
Teresa View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teresa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/May/2021 at 16:17
I'll throw in a slide! Cool
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 105106107108109 115>
  Share Topic