Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Living in Albufeira / Viver em Albufeira » Algarve Foreign Residents / Residentes Estrangeiros
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Residencia renewal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/November/2022 at 07:38
There are all kinds of rules. To be able to stay in Portugal for longer than 90 days, you eventually have to renounce residency of where you were before. That is is the legal necessity to live here and have access to services such as education and state health care.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
lizrod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/November/2022 at 10:27
Thank you, I own a house here in albufeira  i just get conflicting stories some people have what they call residencia but only spend some much time in Portugal maybe thats just to please themselves on coming and going not putting all your eggs in one basket so to speakWink
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/November/2022 at 09:48
Yes you can own a house here, pay taxes etc but legally can only stay here for 90 days without applying for a temporary or permanent resident's card. For UK passport holders this is now of course fairly difficult to get around.
Albufeira Resident

lizrod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/November/2022 at 12:12
Thanks Cubser, how come though some people have residencia in Portugal and still work in the UK it all seems confusing to me as I thought if you had residencia you had to stay six months in Portugal, plus you could only be a resident of one country 

Bunnyrunner View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunnyrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/November/2022 at 12:36
The 6 months rule you mention is probably the tax rule that you must pay tax in the country you are resident in for 183+ days per year. It is entirely possible to have residency in Portugal, which is a right to remain here and have access to health and other services and yet be taxed in another country. Even moreso as there is a lot of tax sharing integration since 2002 between the EU countries, I believe the UK is still party to this agreement.
Without Portuguese residency a UK passport holder may only stay in Portugal for a maximium of 90 days in any 180 day period.
"You wake up a winner only you can make yourself a loser"- Declan Murphy
lizrod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/November/2022 at 13:13
how can people still have residencia of two countries, still live in the UK but have rexidencia in Portugal, sorry for all the questions 
peteknopp View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peteknopp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/December/2022 at 09:21
You can have residence in more than one country. You can also have dual citizenship with 2 countries. residence and citizenship should not be confused.
lizrod View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/December/2022 at 17:09
Thanks once again 
Richardk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/December/2022 at 10:00
Off to collect my Residencia cards from the Post Office. They arrived whilst  I was in UK less than 3 weeks after my appointment in Lisbon
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23/December/2022 at 11:53
Went to Lisbon yesterday for my appointment. Simply couldn't get one closer, but I had a nice day out as well, so not bad. Whole thing took exactly 30 minutes from the time I walked in the door to the time I left, 22 minutes of which was waiting for my turn. Very efficient. I was pleasantly surprised, but I guess they are getting used to it now. No proofs requested except passport, just filled in a very simple form with NIF, Social Security, Cartão Utente numbers.

I was told it might be two months before I get my card.
Albufeira Resident

Richardk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24/December/2022 at 15:01
We were told the same 8 weeks ( also at  Lisbon) but had cards within 3 weeks.
It might be a bit delayed by Christmas  but hopefully well within the 8 weeks
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/January/2023 at 08:10
Postman came with my new card on Tuesday, I wasn't in, collected Wednesday. Registered post, has to be signed for. Photo makes me look like a serial killer on the loose.

Advice - if your bank etc has your old residencia information logged among your personal data, you need to have that changed to the new one.  My bank (Millenium) had forewarned me some time back. That took me about 20 minutes at the local branch. There is no way to do it on line, you have to show them the card.

Then make a copy, upload to somewhere safe and keep a paper copy also.
Albufeira Resident

Algarveaddick View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Algarveaddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/January/2023 at 08:51
When mine turned up, the postman rang on the gate downstairs (we live in a block) and passed it to me by hand, no signature required. When my wife's arrived, it just got put in the postbox... 

Depends on your postman I guess... LOL    
Go away Duchatalet
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic