Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Living in Albufeira / Viver em Albufeira » Events & Local Activities / Eventos & Actividades Locais
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pickleball in Portugal?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teresa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pickleball in Portugal?
    Posted: 13/November/2021 at 13:57
Hi all, wondering if anyone has heard of Pickleball and if it's played in Albufeira?  Any pickleball courts, clubs or leauges?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFYyij4ykTI

Thanks
Sponsored Links

Algarveaddick View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Algarveaddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/November/2021 at 06:41
I have heard of it, there was a Canadian guy going on about it on the Tripadvisor page a couple of years ago. It's mainly a north American thing, as far as I am aware there's no court. There are certainly no leagues.    
Go away Duchatalet
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/November/2021 at 08:02
Yes, the same question has been raised here in years past and on Trip Advisor. It is a sport that is simply unheard of in Portugal.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
Teresa View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teresa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/November/2021 at 22:37
That's a shame!  Perfect weather, even year round, I'd bet.  And lots of fields that could be made into courts.  :(  And, it's a sport that was primarily picked up by those 55 and older (now becoming much more popular with younger age groups).   Quite a number of players in my club well into their 70s.

It is one of the fastest growing sports (in NA).  Hmmm, project for my retirement!  lol  Export pickleball to Portugal!!  :D
Lofters View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lofters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/November/2021 at 23:36
I'd beg to differ a little.
I have been making Algarve trips annually over several years and as far back as I can recall there has been one [or maybe two] courts at the big modern Municipal Sports Complex in Vila Real San Antonio, out east close to the Spanish border.
Have I seen anyone using them? .......... another question, ..... no.
Teresa View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teresa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/November/2021 at 02:53
Thanks Lofters!  Just checked driving distance from Albufeira to Vila Real San Antonio...  If I travel with a PB buddy, I'd make the drive!  :)

You have no idea what a prize it is to find a free court here!!  lol
Algarveaddick View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Algarveaddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/November/2021 at 08:16
It doesn't mention Pickleball on their website - but here it is anyway. Good luck!  

https://tenisvrsa.com/servicos/
Go away Duchatalet
Bunnyrunner View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bunnyrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/November/2021 at 12:52
I've never heard of Pickleball but it seems very similar to Padel Tennis except for the shape of the racket. The pickleball racquet looks more oblong whereas the padel tennis racquets look like a shrunk tennis racquet.

The amazing thing is the similarity of the courts, even down to the colour of the courts, sky blue and navy. Three courts have been built this year at Albufeira Camping.

Teresa do the pickleball courts have any glass walls that can be used like you do in a Squash game? Is the game played with a Tennis ball?

I would say that if you brought your own racquets and balls then you could be able to play Pickleball on a Padel Tennis court.

Check out Albufeira Padel Club adjacent to Albufeira Camping. http://https://padel-tenis-albufeira-camping.negocio.site/ - http://https://padel-tenis-albufeira-camping.negocio.site/

I
Teresa View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teresa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/November/2021 at 15:31
Thanks Algarveaddick, that looks like quite the facility!  Pickleball courts are smaller than tennis courts but, here, courts are often shared - painted with differently coloured lines.

Bunnyrunner - Padel tennis looks more similar to squash.  Pickleball is more similar to tennis but with a smaller court and some different rules.  I don't play ping pong but I've been told rules are also similar to ping pong (but, not played on a table).   The ball used is a hard plastic ball with holes, similar to ball hockey or wiffle balls.   

Glad to know of these options.  I think playing padel ball would likely be a fairly easy transition.  And location is right in town!  Before my next trip, I'll look into if a membership is required or just 'drop in'.

Thanks for all this info!  Much appreciated :)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic