Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Miscellaneous / Diverso
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Albufeira Shopping Centre

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Algarveaddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Albufeira Shopping Centre
    Posted: 13/November/2021 at 10:19
There is currently a major refurb going on at the Continente/Albufeira Shopping centre. The top floor is closed, most of the bottom floor is also shut. The dry cleaner, key cutter, exchange bureau and phone store are all gone, the stuff from Continente's upper floor is now in their place. The dry cleaners have an outlet where the nail bar at the bottom of the travelator was, not sure about the key cutter - will have a look tomorrow. Worten is open. Only the car park on -3 is open, and a chunk of that is boarded off, the car wash is gone. The car park in front is open.     
Go away Duchatalet
Sponsored Links

Teresa View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teresa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/November/2021 at 13:49
Seems there have been lots of renovations and maintenance/upgrades through the pandemic.  From what I've read here, there is the new store where bullring was, upgrades at marina, road and beach repairs, building renos, etc.  Certainly good for the town!

For those of you who spend much time there, would you say this is over and above typical/pre-covid construction activity? 

I hope it helps to bring back tourists next year and allows businesses to reopen!
Bunnyrunner View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunnyrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/November/2021 at 14:07
That's a really good question Theresa.

Certainly private housing development is back on a boom cycle, it did not even seem to be dampened by the Covid Pandemic.

As for Public funded construction and maintenance, there was a furlough scheme during the pandemic that would have meant the Camara would have to pay employees 30% salary to do nothing so they took the option of paying them 100% to keep working. They took advantage of the empty streets and lockdown to dig up vast chunks of the Old town and re-lay paving, some of it was connected to the ongoing drainage improvements which have been happening since the 2015 floods. I understand that the current penecco beach works have been scheduled for a while due to a borough engineers report on the cliffs and danger of their collapse.
Teresa View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teresa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/November/2021 at 18:47
It's great to hear and makes sense to keep employees earning while taking advantage of the empty streets for repairs.

Other than the bullring to shopping store conversion, I don't often see comments re improvements being made near Ouro strip area.  Last I was there, there were so many empty shops and restaurants north of descobrimentos, plus lots of empty, undeveloped fields.  Do you know if anything has been done in that area?  Or of any future plans?
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/November/2021 at 19:06
The old bullring is still there. It was the car park that became a large new ALDI supermarket. There was talk of the bullring itself being converted into some kind of music or entertainment venue, but nothing has come of it.

There was also talk earlier this year of a major 'renovation' of the northern end of the 'strip' area. One issue is that likely uptake for new restaurants and bars is not good in these times of continuing uncertainty. The vacant land was earmarked for yet more luxury tourist apartments. Meanwhile the people who work in restaurants and bars cannot afford anywhere to live. But there is no money to be made money in social housing.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
Teresa View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teresa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/November/2021 at 14:19
I'd misunderstood re the bullring.  I've never been inside but, yes, would likely make for a good entertainment venue.

When you say the northern end of the 'strip', do you mean where the strip meets Descobrimentos or do you mean north of Descobrimentos?

It's been 10 years, maybe since financial crisis??, but I remember north of Descrobrimentos, up to Manel do Frangos (not sure if you know the restaurant?) was a busy, full area (although not to the same extent as the strip south of Descobrimentos).  I recall lots of restaurants, shops, etc.  Now, most have closed...  a few have survived and I've seen a few new ones make the attempt but many have gone.

There's a building behind/attached to Longo bar with a courtyard...  I remember that courtyard being full of restaurants/patios, children's play area, etc...  last time I was there, it was pretty deserted.  

It is very sad for the local population.

I'd thought the reno of the hotel at the top of that street would bring new life to that 'northern strip' but then they made it an all-inclusive hotel.  I don't understand why the city would allow that?  The demand for restaurants from hotel guests could have helped rebuild that area but not if it's an all-inclusive hotel.    I imagine the hotel pays sufficient taxes to have allowed it to be approved??
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/November/2021 at 08:39
"When you say the northern end of the 'strip', do you mean where the strip meets Descobrimentos or do you mean north of Descobrimentos?"

North of Descombrimentos, up the hill towards the big Hotel Jupiter (formerly the Hotel Montechoro) is the area.

I don't think the city can prevent hotels from being all inclusive but most agree that it's bad for the area and bad for local businesses. Many holidaymakers whose priorities are cheap beer and to sit by a pool all day don't care that their money goes to faceless corporations based in other countries.
Albufeira Resident

Teresa View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teresa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/November/2021 at 14:10
"I don't think the city can prevent hotels from being all inclusive" - true enough.  A lost opportunity to have brought more tourist dollars to local businesses.

I have seen pictures of the newly renovated park towards Hotel Jupiter...  a small sign of good things to come for the area??

I hope tourism truly bounces back next year.  While I, for one, am ready to travel again, many family/friends are still hesitant and likely wouldn't travel 'today'.   New lockdowns, especially in Europe and NA, will probably reinforce their concerns and continue to dampen tourism.  Hopefully, we don't see any new restrictions.
Algarveaddick View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Algarveaddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/January/2022 at 08:13
Update on Albufeira Shopping. Virtually all of it is closed off now. Continente is open, the bank is open (but only until Friday, when it closes permanently) and the gym is open. There are prefabs outside for the dry cleaner, Wells and Worten. The only parking is the ground floor and about a third of minus 3, but there is no direct access to the ground floor from minus 3, you have to go back through the car park entrance and walk up the hill.   

Go away Duchatalet
Bunnyrunner View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bunnyrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/June/2022 at 09:16
Went to Continente earlier in the week and it now has a basement containing all the homeware and gardening that used to be it's upstairs. They have even relocated the old escalator that used to go upstairs, now it takes you to the basement.
So presumably all the outlets on that -1 level including the food court must be relocating to level 1 which used to be Continente and the Sushi place. Would be interesting to understand the logic behind all that, seems a lot of hassle.
Worten are currently still outside in a tent.
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Algarveaddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/June/2022 at 09:19
We went there yesterday and didn't even notice... LOL 

Note to self: Pay Attention! 
Go away Duchatalet
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/June/2022 at 08:09
Don't you love it when each week you go shopping and everything is in a different place to where it was last time! I shall see for myself in 10 days time.
Albufeira Resident

cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/July/2022 at 12:24
The Worten tent has gone and they no longer have a presence nor is there any indication of one to come. A shop is being made ready for Vodafone and another for Multiopticas opticians. The dry cleaners and Well's are still operating from portakabins. Still a lot of work going on.

The basement level is a now huge area for drink, alcoholic and not, home stuff and DIY. Escalators to your right when you go inside.
Albufeira Resident

Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Algarveaddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/July/2022 at 10:09
Unless they took out all the home stuff and DIY three days ago, and put it back last night, it is the same as it was before Tom? The drink is all up one end, which you may have seen looking from the outside? 

There is a Parfois shop opening at basement level. The lifts look they have not been touched, so I suspect one of the most frustrating aspects of Albufeira Shopping (that the lifts all seem to operate independently, so you end up with three lifts stopping at the same floor for just one passenger) will not be solved. I hope I am wrong. 
Go away Duchatalet
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25/August/2022 at 17:13
Worten is now fully open in the basement. Some other shops have also appeared but I didn't have time to look. The basement has beers, water, soft drinks (wine and spirits ground floor), plus DIY, homewares, stationery and office supplies, car stuff, garden stuff etc.
Albufeira Resident

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic