Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Local attractions / Locais de diversões
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Alentejo region

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teresa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alentejo region
    Posted: 17/August/2021 at 15:48
Hi all,  I realize this is an Albufeira forum but am thinking some of you may have some experience you can share.

Has anyone travelled through the Alentejo region?  Inland or along coast?  Would you recommend spending a day or two to visit the region?  If yes, what/where would you recommend visiting?

Thanks 
Sponsored Links

cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/August/2021 at 08:40
It's a huge area with interesting places both along the coast and inland.

This website will give you some ideas - https://www.visitalentejo.pt/en/

You will need a car to get almost anywhere.  You would be looking at maybe 2 hours drive from Albufeira to the real interior.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
Teresa View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teresa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/August/2021 at 16:03
Great link!  I think I've gone through it all!  And, now, am even more uncertain as to what to do!  LOL

Our plan is, on our return from Albufeira to Lisbon, to take a full day (but can make it an overnight trip too) to visit Alentejo.  But, as you said, impossible to cover all on one trip.  

I'm thinking either to drive from Sagres north, staying along coast...  or stay inland and drive north towards Evora and then to Lisbon.

As I haven't ever stopped anywhere in Alentejo, not sure which I should do...  coast or inland. 

Lots of ideas from your link but anyone's favourite recommendations would be appreciated too.  :) 
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/August/2021 at 08:33
Going from Sagres towards Lisbon, take a look at the little coastal town of Vila Nova de Milfontes for an overnight stop. People I know have liked it there.

It's not possible to drive actually along the coast. The main road, N120, runs a little way inland so to get to the sea you have to turn off and go down some country lanes.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
Teresa View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teresa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/August/2021 at 15:42
Thanks Cubsur.  

yep, was just looking at map...  disappointed as I did expect there to be a road that would wind along the coastline.  :(  Oh well, if we decide on a 'coastal' route, we'll just need to take a few detours off the main road.  

Thanks!
Teresa View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teresa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/October/2021 at 14:15
Thanks Brian
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic