Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Local Transportation / Transportes Locais
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

<Changes to the Albufeira tourist 'train'

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: <Changes to the Albufeira tourist 'train'
    Posted: 10/July/2021 at 08:57
This has resumed operation, but running only once every 50 minutes, not every 20 minutes as before. Service runs from 0900 until about 2200 every day.

The original route to the west of town, Oura, 'strip' etc has an extra stop somewhere, but I didn't photo the map, so must do so unless they update their website soon.

There is also now a second route, covering the western end of town ie Cerro Grande and the Marina areas. This appears to have four stops, starting at the marina, one somewhere in the old town area,  the bus stop near the Boavista Hotel  and I think one near the Arte Bar before it goes back down the hill to the marina.

Service is the same, i.e. every 50 minutes between about 0900 and about 2200. Times are shown at the stops.

Their website has not been updated with this new information. 

The ticket price is €3 for a single journey, €5 for unlimited daily journeys on one route, €7 for unlimited journeys on both routes. Reduced prices for seniors and children. An expensive way to get around at more than double the local bus fare.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
Sponsored Links

administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/July/2021 at 17:36
You can view the latest leaflet (July '21) for Albufeira Tourist Train here: 
https://albufeira.com/_docs/Albufeira_Tourist_Train-July_2021_Leaflet.pdf

It has now two separate routes, one to the East, like before but with more stops and going further, and a new route to the West, linking the Marina with Albufeira Old Town.

There are 3 different tickets, One Way Ticket, Day Ticket and Combo Ticket (to travel on both routes)

Albufeira.com Admin
Algarveaddick View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Algarveaddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/July/2021 at 07:26
Two things I note, one is that there is a stop ostencibly for the Areias market, which the cynic in me notes happens to also be right outside the new Aldi... And two that there is no stop at the furthest eastern end of the route at the bottom of Sta. Eulalia Road, which would surely make sense in any normal circumstance?    
Go away Duchatalet
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/July/2021 at 09:01
They are mostly stopping at places where the GIRO buses stop. They could indeed have had a stop at the Forte da Oura hotel where there is bus stop. Odd not to.

The old town stop for the sunset' or western toute is in the Praça da Repùblica near the museum.

The leaflet does not show the times, which I can confirm are an interval of 50 minutes between each trip on both routes. These  are shown at the stops. Nor does it show the prices, which are as per my earlier post.
Albufeira Resident

merryforge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merryforge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/July/2021 at 14:31
Very interested to hear this, especially as there is now a stop near where we stay on the Cerro Grande.  Thank you for the information.

We're not sure we'll be able to do our usual October visit yet - depends on a number of things, particularly the dratted virus - but still it was good to read.
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/July/2021 at 08:42
Minor correction to my first post. The western or sunset route (the one that goes through Cerro Grande) runs every 40 minutes. It runs down the hill to the marina and then back up a different way. The stop on Cerro Grande is at the Giro bus stop opposite the Belver Boa Vista hotel.

The two routes are completely separate. You have to walk through the old town to go from one to the other. For many journeys across town (e.g to the 'strip' end)  the Giro Vermelha 2 bus would be cheaper and quicker.
Albufeira Resident

mrandyd View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrandyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/July/2021 at 09:05
And more comfortable.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic