Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Living in Albufeira / Viver em Albufeira » Algarve Foreign Residents / Residentes Estrangeiros
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Residence certificate

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpx3001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Residence certificate
    Posted: 06/June/2021 at 11:16
Hey guys,

Short question, maybe somebody can advise about proper steps and help with this since I don't speak Portuguese (yet): I live here with proper long term lease contract, utility bills arriving, registered activity, everything reported to Finanças, in short I have all the paperwork ready. Now I need residence certificate from parish council/junta de freguesia. How do I do it? Should I just pop over there, is there waiting list or some procedure I need to finish first? There are two council locations, since I live near bullfighting ring should I go to Albufeira main office or Olhos de Água? Anyone willing to help me with this and share drink or two is welcome (I'm buying of course).

Cheers,
D
Sponsored Links

Algarveaddick View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Algarveaddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/June/2021 at 07:32
My recommendation is to get your solicitor involved, that's what we did seventeen years ago, and that was pre "B word" of course, when it was fairly easy.  
Go away Duchatalet
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/June/2021 at 08:22
I agree. I did mine 9 years ago and it was fairly simple. Now that the rules have changed for UK citizens, best to get expert help.

Albufeira and Olhos D'Agua are now the same council.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
animallover View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote animallover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/June/2021 at 09:28
If you're a British citizen I'm sure all residency is done through SEF since Brexit. My friend recently got residency by visiting junta first then went to local camara (Lagoa). She got it completed only because she is from Southern Ireland which is within EU.
dpx3001 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpx3001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/June/2021 at 09:58
Thanks guys! I am not a British citizen and initially from outside EU, so I do go trough SEF in several weeks. Residence certificate I am after is not a residence permit, that happens later, this is just about junta de freguesia confirming that I live where I claim to live, after looking at my documents. I do have a solicitor in Lisbon and he advised to 'get the paper myself with possible help of Portuguese speaking local, since it is too simple task that doesn't need solicitor involvement'. Hence I was asking here if somebody knows the procedure or want to help for a drink or a fee.
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/June/2021 at 07:43
Ah, that's different. Everyone I know (British) has residencia from the old system which has been renewed and can now be renewed on line. It might not be so easy to find someone who is not EU, not British, who has recently gone through the process.

As you pay utility bills or IMI (council tax) at your address that should be sufficient to prove your address. Proving income (ie so that you don't become a burden on the state) is something else. I had to show proof I was being paid a pension from my former employers.

Good luck.
Albufeira Resident

dpx3001 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpx3001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/June/2021 at 10:30
Just to document the process. It is super simple, using this form: https://www.freguesias.pt/imagens/080106/destaques/Requerimento_atestado.pdf

Takes two days for them to produce the document. Despite having lease contract and utility bills on address/name, only way to get the document is to have two sworn witnesses (living and registered at Albufeira!) as stated on form. Bit weird since utility bills should be more reliable way of establishing accuracy of the address but easy to finish anyway.
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/June/2021 at 09:13
"...only way to get the document is to have two sworn witnesses..."

That's new but very useful to know for people asking in future.
Albufeira Resident

Skiddy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skiddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/July/2021 at 10:05
Hi we are in the same situation & would like to apply for residency- we own 2 properties here in albuferia, would we need to apply to the council or through the sef? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you
dpx3001 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpx3001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/July/2021 at 09:55
Council doesn't approve residency, only SEF. Residence certificate I got, issued by council, is just a confirmation that I live where I live. It can't be used to prolong your stay past the usual visa and laws. After obtaining residence certificate I had to go to SEF, where meeting was scheduled months ago (there is fairly long waiting list), and only after SEF approves it becomes official.

I was unlucky to run into bad lawyers when I arrived here last year, they were very expensive while doing little, then I was lucky to find a good team of young lawyers that are not too expensive and finished the job at SEF with very little stress. I am not sure if I could finish SEF and paperwork on my own without them.
janduracn1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janduracn1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/October/2023 at 13:01
Do witnesses for a Residence Certificate have to be Portuguese? We need one to register our car, we live in Albufeira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janduracn1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/October/2023 at 13:08
We are Americans trying to get our car registered here in Albufeira and need a Residence Certificate. We found the form for to request, know what we need for paperwork. I understand we need two witnesses, can they be anybody who has resided in Albufeira for at least a year. I have two British friends that will help us out. The company we hired for this is doing nothing, they took 350Eur from us and the guy knows nothing. Oh and will our witnesses need anything else but their residence cards? Thank you so much in advance!
dpx3001 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpx3001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/October/2023 at 13:39
Yes, all correct. Two witnesses that are already registered and living in Albufeira, copies of their residence permits/ID cards, signed and with some sentence they need to write below, saying that they allow use of their credentials or something like that. If you go to Câmara municipal and get the form from there it will contain exactly they need to write and where.

It seems that Câmara municipal requires that witnesses go with you and confirm in person, which is odd since good standing working people as witnesses usually don't have time for showing in person while shady looking "witnesses" picked up as local drunks in a bar can.

Last time I got my address changed, my witnesses were very well known real estate agency owners, so when it came to showing in person I had to resolve this with some mild yelling before municipal staff realized errors in logic -- well known business owner has smarter stuff to do than show up in person to be accepted as witness.

In short expect very little problems, it is usually straightforward process.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janduracn1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/October/2023 at 13:42
You are awesome!! I can not thank you enough! 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote janduracn1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/October/2023 at 13:46
BTW You are very funny. You really made me laugh at that one! And I needed a good laugh!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic