FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ferreiras

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ferreiras
    Posted: 07/May/2021 at 10:13
There were several of them about, around that fairly large patch of thistle. Others tell me they are busy all over. I don't know what contribution the black bees make to honey production. Perhaps someone can tell.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
Sponsored Links

bebop View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bebop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/May/2021 at 22:16
Thank you, Cubsur, for these lovely pics. I particularly like the one of the thistle with the bee, head down, taking in all that nectar and heading off to make some of that tasty honey that we love from the Algarve. 🐝🐝🙂
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/May/2021 at 13:53
After my first vaccination this morning, I took a bus to Ferrieras and a walk for a few km in some of the back roads. Here's few pictures. Click to see larger.

The railway station. Under the wires the 1100 to Lagos waits to leave.

Ferreiras - the town

A few minutes walk, some pleasant wooded countryside

And at the top of the hill, the quarry and cement works hard at it.

Nearby is an abandoned quarry now used a tip.

I spotted this tree, standing out among the normal scrub. It's a cypress tree, unusual for here. It stands in the ruined garden of what must have once been a substantial house. Hardly anything remains of the house.

Nearby are some good examples of dry stone walling. Most of the land has long since been abandoned, but I did see signs of recent ploughing.

And  big thistle, on which you can just make out the large black bee doing what bees do.

Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic