Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Users Chit Chat / Conversa entre Utilizadores
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

tax representation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony & mau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tax representation
    Posted: 08/March/2021 at 10:58
could anyone tell me if we need to have a tax representative now we have left the eu. we have temporary residency and used to pay sovereign lda annually. we have had an appartment in albufeira since 2007. we are both senior citizens and holiday there about 20 weeks a year. we do not get any income from this property. tony and maureen Thumbs Up
Sponsored Links

cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/March/2021 at 13:22
I understand that this is so, partly because the IMI (council tax) apparently will not now be sent to a UK address.

Anyone can pay other bills on your behalf from a local bank account. I have recently paid the car tax on behalf of someone with a second home who, like you, cannot be here.

All you need to do, probably, is arrange for Soverign lda to send the bill to someone living here that you know and trust. They can pay on your behalf. You avoid having to pay an accountant which I have been hearing is far from cheap.

Or, if you have a local bank account, can you not ask Sovereign to send the bill to your UK address or by email? You can then pay yourself via the bank's website.

It will be of interest to hear how other second home owners are dealing with the post EU home owning situation.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
tony & mau View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony & mau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/March/2021 at 15:42
thanks for your reply cubsur. in portugal we bank with bankinter. i have been checking them out and i think we can pay our IMI bill using internet banking. no paper bill needed. will let you know how i go on.   hope we are back in portugal soon. TonyThumbs UpThumbs Up
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/March/2021 at 08:28
That should be no problem as long as you can receive the IMI bill in the first place or access it via the Finanças website. It's how I paid mine before becoming exempt.
Albufeira Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony & mau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/March/2021 at 09:13
i have found and registered with the portal das financas. when this years IMI bill shows up in it i will pay using online banking.  PS. will it be possible for us to become exempt in the years to come?
kevjrobbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevjrobbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/March/2021 at 20:32
how/when do you become exempt?
kevjrobbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevjrobbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/March/2021 at 20:34
do you need to be in Portugal to register with the finance office for IMI or can it be done online.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony & mau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/March/2021 at 08:35
i did it online. all i needed was my NIF number and NIF password(senha).
kevjrobbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevjrobbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/March/2021 at 09:19
where do you get the NIF number and password from

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony & mau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/March/2021 at 16:17
 the NIF number is the number on your fiscal card. when you applied for your fiscal card you will have set it up with a password.(senha).

cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/March/2021 at 08:30
They don't issue physical cards any more so keep your NIF among personal records. Important if you want to claim any rebate on tax paid  and essential when setting up accounts to pay bills by direct debit etc.
Albufeira Resident

Captain Spalding View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Spalding Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13/March/2021 at 12:46
Hi all
As I understand it, Brexit has triggered a requirement that all non-residents living outside the EU (eg UK) who have a Portuguese NIF and assets in Portugal ( eg a property) have to now appoint a Tax Representative in Portugal and inform AT who it is by June 30 2021. If you don’t do this by that date they will start penalising you.
I don’t know what the penalties are yet but I’m sure it won’t be pleasant.

AT will stop sending correspondence by mail to UK ( and other non EU) addresses after June 2021.
As in previous posts I also registered with AT and also pay IMI online from my Portuguese bank. The reference number you need to do this is available via your account on the AT site ...so not getting the letters from AT after June isn’t really an issue for me. However it looks like even if you do it all yourself you still need to appoint a tax representative.
I don’t earn in Portugal so IRS or any other taxes have not concerned me before and so I have not completed any tax returns previously and hope that this continues to be the case.

I don’t know what the duties or responsibilities would be for an appointed tax representative and don’t know yet what they will charge do this service but a quick search on Google shows there are plenty of people looking to provide the service.

I’ve asked a company I know for some costs and also what they’re doing for the money. I’ll post this information and perhaps we can share similar information and maybe prevent anyone getting ripped off.
port princess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote port princess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/April/2021 at 12:07
Help needed please I just got my residency in October last year we are 2 senior citizens and have heard we need to fill in tax return?
Can anyone help re this please and do I really need to pay an accountant for nil return ?
Much appreciated Thankyou
Portprincess
bob d View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/April/2021 at 12:18
I have used Atlantic Property in Vilamoura for about 14 years and they are very good. 

Regarding tax return, I have no residency and am a U.K. national. For obvious reasons I had no income from Portugal last year (apartment rental), however, I still have to submit a tax return for earning nothing as I started a ‘tax activity’ years ago when I started renting out our apartment. The fee from accountants for this is 250€.  
we're not brazil we're norn iron
port princess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote port princess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/April/2021 at 12:34
Thanks Bob bit expensive for me
I’ve no income from Portugal
Portprincess
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic