Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Photo sharing / Partilha de fotos
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Old town today

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old town today
    Posted: 02/February/2021 at 16:03
Time for some pictures of the deserted streets.

Rua 5 Outubro around 12noon today

Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
Sponsored Links

lucyr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/February/2021 at 16:30
oh my 
my beautiful portugal
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/February/2021 at 08:41
Much of the rest is the same except for builders working at various restaurants and bars. Obviously almost everywhere is closed at the moment except for supermarkets.
Albufeira Resident

AJSUGGY View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJSUGGY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/February/2021 at 09:27
Just watched a video on YouTube called "Albufeira January 21" it shows how deserted Albufeira is, but nice to see drone footage of various sites though. Worth a watch.
Jock View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/February/2021 at 11:36
How can the traders, bars, restaurants etc. possibly survive without customers for so long?  Presumably they have fixed costs as well as living expenses to pay.  I was about to say they have my sympathy, but what they need is practical help. I hope they're getting it.
It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As pretty as an Airport' appear. Douglas Adams
Teresa View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teresa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/February/2021 at 13:30
So sad   :(
dbaxter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbaxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/February/2021 at 18:04
AJSUGGY

Do you have a link for that video?
Jock View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/February/2021 at 18:43
It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As pretty as an Airport' appear. Douglas Adams
S1gh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote S1gh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/February/2021 at 20:18
Just watched the you tube video “Albufeira January 21” sad times for everyone.
Some great footage seeing well know areas from different angles 👍🏼

To watch it just go to YouTube and type in - Albuferia January 21
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/February/2021 at 08:21
Albufeira council announced a business tax relief until the end of March, but as in UK rent and utilities still have to be paid for. Government is providing some support for staff costs where they have by necessity been made temporarily redundant.

But many will run out of money if they cannot open let's say by Easter (2 months) so even if tourists and locals can return there could be far fewer places open for them to patronise.

(As a side note I do wonder where national and local government is getting the money from to provide these funds. With tax income seriously reduced it's going to be an issue to be resolved over the coming years.)

If there is any better weather over the next two or three days I will do a little tour of town.  
Albufeira Resident

peteknopp View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peteknopp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/February/2021 at 11:52
Never heard of a business tax levied by the council but what they have done is to extend until March, the suspension of payment for use of public space - ie terraces for bars and restaurants who are shut and unable to use this space!!!!!
pyrman View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyrman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/February/2021 at 11:38
A part answer for Jock .... from just one site ... note the number of properties for sale ..  

and we already know quite a few that never recovered from the financial crisis of 2008 .. the obvious answer is that Albufeira ... Algarve ... needs people ... loads of them ... and one has to say that the `management` have not done too well in that respect. On the other hand, I have been studying an extremely energetic new city (57 years old) in Brazil, pop.150.000, about the same as Blackpool, which becomes 1 million around now (normally) in their summer. Algarve needs to take lessons ..

and the cable car and parque entry would cost me all of £3.15 with the Real at 0.13 currently ..
yesterday I watched a video of a beach city just a few miles south .. Itapema ... and restaurants showing a meal for a family of four .. £10 .. no wonder the crowds flock ...
sad to say Albufeira has been overpriced and under-acheiving for far too long .. that is the price we must pay for the local `management` system. Some kind of Development authority is badly neded here ..

also here    https://barcopirata.com.br/      and recently   https://fgbigwheel.com.br/
Pyrman
jethro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jethro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/February/2021 at 19:04
I think the youtube video showing a deserted Albufeira would be reflected in many other locations in Europe who are largely dependent on tourism in Jan 2021. I am a tad curious about comparing the Algarve with Brazil. The Algarve is already one of the most competitive locations in which to holiday in Southern Europe and within a 2 to 2.5 hour flight of 500 million potential customers. I am sure many may disagree but I think that during a normal summer the Algarve is bursting at the seams with tourists as it is. 

It will never be able to compete with places like Brazil or indeed parts of Asia on price except perhaps on both the cost/time of getting there. 

Maybe I am showing my age and I am not partial to queueing etc to eat at restaurants and from my perspective July and August in Albufeira is not fun.  

Where there is room for growth is off peak which is my favourite time in the Algarve and while it cannot match the winter climate of places like the Canaries it is for the most part a very pleasant place to be.  Many from Northern Europe have this idea that the Algarve is very cold in the off season and so won’t consider it as a destination. This is an area that the people promoting tourism could work on. 

Finally, trying to complete on price with the likes of Brazil would only serve to widen the inequality gap which is already one of the worst in Europe. As it is many in the tourist industry are working for as little as €600 to €700 a month. 

port princess View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote port princess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/February/2021 at 19:29
Sunbeds here are ridiculously expensive 15euros far to expensive you can go other places abroad a lot less !!
Food here is mixed I find if you want cheap as chips great what I think we need is decent quality food in nice restaurants that would definitely make a big difference especially old town at decent price it's a hit or a miss ? but perhaps I've not found all the gems yet 🤣🤣
Also entertainment plays big part of people's holidays something we're lacking maybe ?? Don't want Benidorm folks
I love Albufeira in winter and think we could sell as winter breaks but places would need to stagger their closing can't have people coming if everything is closed
I'm of course looking to the future of Albufeira
Just my thoughts guys x
Portprincess
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/February/2021 at 09:14
Have you seen the price of chips lately! Why do most of the British want everything cheap?
Albufeira Resident

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic