Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Miscellaneous / Diverso
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Christmas lights going up

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Christmas lights going up
    Posted: 21/October/2020 at 08:21
Workers are starting to string the Christmas lights around lamp-posts along the main roads. I wonder if there will be anyone here to look at them.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
Sponsored Links

Jock View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/October/2020 at 11:25
Maybe help lift the spirits of locals if no one else.  Here's hoping.
It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As pretty as an Airport' appear. Douglas Adams
sidsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/October/2020 at 14:18
I've always wanted to see the Christmas lights so we booked a long weekend 11-14DEC earlier this year - which we've now cancelled as we'd no doubt have to self isolate for 14days on our return!!
We were flying Easyjet out & BA back - got thru to both on the phone immediately - didn't have to accept a voucher - got a refund instead!!
pyrman View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyrman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/October/2020 at 14:25
Last year they erected special poles to carry the lights ... lamp posts would (unusually) have to be directly opposite each other ... then they secure the poles to anything not likely to fall over .. bus shelters, trees, etc were popular in Sta Eulalia ..
Pyrman
Jayjan View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jayjan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/October/2020 at 22:27
wow sidsmum I am surprised you got a refund from Easyjet if you cancelled it yourself and not them. Loads of complaints on facebook Easyjet complaints page about folks not getting refunds if flight still going, but allowed  to change dates or get  a voucher for future travel. Not sure about BA.
Just thinking, both companies might have obviously known their  flights would eventually be cancelled and that's why you were refunded?
Nothing at the moment seems safe booking flights due to this fiasco.Cancellations, no airbridge, quarantine on return home . 
Polli the dancing cat strikes again.
sidsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/October/2020 at 13:22
I know Jayjan...I didn't think I'd even get thru on the phone - and they didn't even want to hear my (well practised!)speech/excuses for not wanting a voucher!!
Sorry everyone, to digress from Xmas lights, but I thought everyone would like to know it's worth asking at the moment!

Back to the original subject - I'll look forward to seeing Tom's Christmas lights photos instead 😊
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/November/2020 at 11:17
The lights were switched on, without fanfare, earlier this week. They are different to last year. I shall try to get some pictures if it isn't raining tonight.

Pity no one will be here to see them.
Albufeira Resident

Algarveaddick View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Algarveaddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/November/2020 at 08:18
€360'000 they cost. Now, I am not saying there should be no lights, but in these troubled times I think they should have scaled them down somewhat, and spent the money saved elsewhere.   
Go away Duchatalet
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/November/2020 at 09:36
Didn't take camera last night. Will try again. There won't be any New Year's celebrations to pay for so I guess they consider it worth the spend.
Albufeira Resident

Jock View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/November/2020 at 11:56
There's little enough to celebrate at the moment.  The lights may pep some people up.  Kids particularly.  We aren't going to be celebrating with our grandkids this year which is a bit dismal.  With my various health probs. I'm surprised I've made it this far.  Until I've had my 2nd vaccination we won't be able to relax.
Then maybe a trip to Albufeira!
It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As pretty as an Airport' appear. Douglas Adams
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/December/2020 at 08:59
I took some pictures last night. Here's a sample. I will look at the rest later and post any that are reasonable. No tripod and the street lights don't help.

Albufeira Resident

pyrman View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyrman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/December/2020 at 09:48
We might remember that Albufeira is rolling in money in spite of the virus .. and the people who make and do the lights need work to keep the tax ball rolling ... feel for those who cannot, or are reluctant to, celebrate the end of our annus horribilis  I feel there is good reason to try ..
so get an Albufeira 2021 calendar ..
Pyrman
lucyr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/December/2020 at 10:09
Thanks Tom, a wee bit of cheer in this challenging time, look forward to seeing some more.
my beautiful portugal
Jock View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/December/2020 at 10:43
I had a bit of a horrible anus short ago but some laxative did the trick.
JuliejH View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JuliejH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/December/2020 at 13:51
Thank you so much for the photos, it’s always lovely to see something positive 😊
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic