Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Photo sharing / Partilha de fotos
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Some old pictures

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/March/2021 at 08:44
thanks as always for the old photos, very pleasant to look at on a rainy, windy morning 
my beautiful portugal
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29/March/2021 at 10:31
Bob sent this one of the Bank (as it was) under construction. It was, unfortunately for the purpose of comparison, obviously taken from the roof of one of the buildings down the side of the square, an option not open to me!

Best Ican do is a manipulation of Google Maps 3D image, but that doesn't give quite the same perspective. The area to the right as we look has changed almost out of recognition. What was once probably an open air restaurant is now covered. The line of the v shaped wall can be discerned, but the tall chimney has gone. To the left, the modern covered terrace obscures the view of the former street line.

Cliock to see a larger size, click again when you get there for biggest size.

Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
AJSUGGY View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJSUGGY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/May/2021 at 12:21
Just have been on the CASA DEL MAR restaurant web page and they have a few old photos I have never seen before. Click on History then read more to reveal 5 old Photos. 

www.casadelmar.pt    
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/May/2021 at 07:52
Thanks. There are a couple there I have not seen before so I will try to make a 'then and now' comparison.
Albufeira Resident

AJSUGGY View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJSUGGY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/May/2021 at 14:56
Thank You Tom It will be appreciated. I may call you Tom may I. As i haves seen this on other posts
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/May/2021 at 08:58
Originally posted by AJSUGGY AJSUGGY wrote:

Thank You Tom It will be appreciated. I may call you Tom may I. As i haves seen this on other posts

You may! I have been called a lot worse. I will be out and about at the weekend.
Albufeira Resident

cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/May/2021 at 09:30
I have some pictures and will have some before and afters later today. Stuff to do this morning.
Albufeira Resident

cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/May/2021 at 13:17
Ok some then and nows, using the Casa del Mar photos suggested.

This one was fairly easy, the steps by the tunnel, but I shall have to go back at the crack of dawn when the blinds and stands are not out. Date of original unknown, I guess early 70's as Sol e mar is there plus the clothing. However, the chap in the bottom right hand corner looks distinctly like someone many of us know!

Click to see a larger size and click again when you get there for the full size.

View from the top of the steps along Rua 5 de Outubro.

This one was a bit difficult  but I got there in the end. Date of original unknown, although pre-dates any 1960's building. Although some buildings on the skyline can be easily made out, modern building has changed the view a lot.

But this view was impossible to replicate. I suspect it was taken from the church tower or the roof of a nearby building. I have copied an approximation from Google satellite, picking out the two prominent landmarks, the clock tower by the Sol e Mar and the church tower of São Sebastião

Albufeira Resident

AJSUGGY View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJSUGGY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/May/2021 at 16:11
Thanks Tom, great effort to get those pics.
Teresa View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teresa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/May/2021 at 18:32
Thanks for posting the pics...  old and new!!  :)
bob d View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/May/2021 at 20:52
Good word Cubsur. 

The chap at the bottom right is uncannily familiar. 😄
we're not brazil we're norn iron
Jock View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/May/2021 at 12:08
You're right Bob.
It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As pretty as an Airport' appear. Douglas Adams
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/October/2021 at 15:54
From 'Suggy' some pictures of Albufeira old town flooded in the 1950's.

Albufeira Resident

J2me-2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J2me-2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/October/2021 at 19:48
Wow, that must have been some storm that lead to that flooding.

The first photograph looks like it was taken from inside a car!

I would imagine that the flooded look down at the beach was most unusual - but it those days the damage might have taken several months to correct in comparison to what would happen today.

The old square must have been a big muddy mess!

cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/October/2021 at 08:47
If my recall is correct, the storm co-incided with a high tide much as it did in more recent times. Rainwater coming down the hills had nowhere to go.
Albufeira Resident

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic