Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Photo sharing / Partilha de fotos
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Some old pictures

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyrman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/March/2021 at 11:43
Saw a photo somewhere in the last week ... maybe postcard also ... which showed that structure .. will try to find it again..

in Old Town appreciation society facebook .... another Norberto

Pyrman
Teresa View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teresa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/March/2021 at 14:19
Love the old pics!  Thanks to all who share them.  I spent a few summers in Albufeira as a child (before it was considered 'old' town!  lol), in the late 60s/early 70s and have so many wonderful memories...  being at the beach exactly as shown in the pic, the fish market at praia dos pescadores, playing in friends' homes that are now bars and seeing movies at the theatre on Rua Candido dos Reis.  When there, I see it all through two perspectives...  my childhood memories and what is there now.  Wonderful memories of the past and wonderful new memories in the making!  :)
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/March/2021 at 08:51
"in Old Town appreciation society facebook .... another Norberto"

The place I suspect the postcard photo was taken from is the building just right of centre which sits on a kind of platform. Already looking slightly precarious, that's the one that fell into the sea around 2005.

None of the pictures I have so far seen show any evidence of anything lower down the steps. Later today I shall be looking.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
pyrman View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyrman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/March/2021 at 10:19
Pyrman
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/March/2021 at 15:46
Bob was right! The building that fell down is too high up, so there must have been a kiosk or tiny bar half way up the steps. The clue is in the distinctive shape on the concrete wall.

There is slight evidence with different coloured tiles etc that something stood there.

The cliffs are now a different shape The end wall is obviously a later addition and is already parting company with the rest.

The changed shape of the cliffs means it wasn't possible to get quite the same angle for a 'then and now' but here's my best effort : click to see larger size

I suspect the original wall was where I have put the pink line. This picture I took in December 2004 shows how different that area was.

and today

Albufeira Resident

cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/March/2021 at 15:59
Originally posted by pyrman pyrman wrote:

Here is another one    www.travel-in-portugal.com/beaches/praia-do-peneco.htm

An old picture! Certainly 2006 or earlier. Work on the lift began in 2007. And the text refers to the Gruta (grotto) do Xorino which is now inaccessible, the path having collapsed long since but which is visible in pictures from the 40's and 50's in my photo book.

I am having a search of my pictures from 2006 and 2007 before the lift was built and the cliffs cut back, to see if I can a more detailed look at the area.
Albufeira Resident

bob d View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/March/2021 at 17:07
Excellent work Detective Cubsur. 

The round topped pillar is a brilliant spot.

I imagine the small bar would have been a very nice way to spend an afternoon. 

we're not brazil we're norn iron
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/March/2021 at 08:32
I have a note in my picture files that the precarious building was demolished some time late in 2005. I remember bits of the garden down at the bottom of the cliff. Here's some pictures from 2007 and 2008 showing the work to stablise the cliff and in preparation for the construction of the lift.

10th September 2007

20th October 2007

1st April 2008

Albufeira Resident

lucyr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/March/2021 at 08:38
Thanks very much for these photos,wow
my beautiful portugal
AJSUGGY View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJSUGGY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/March/2021 at 09:34
Many years ago didn't that part of the cliff collapse onto the beach and wasn't somebody killed by it but my memory is not that good now so I could be wrong. About the bar, when I saw the new beach restaurant being erected I asked the manager of the Sol-e-Mar how did they get planning permission. he replied that the Roccomar hotel had a beach bar there many years ago so didn't need it, maybe they ran the small bar on the steps to the beach. 
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/March/2021 at 08:35
There was indeed a small bar type building on the beach, tucked right under the cliff behind the pinnacle. I don't think I have any pictures, I will have a look though. But if memory serves it was washed away in a particularly violent storm, before the beach was made wider about 10 years ago.

The cliff collpase was probably the one at Praia Maria Luisa, where several members of a family ignored the warning signs and were sitting under a cliff when it collapsed. Subsequently that cliff was chopped back as was done along the main beach.
Albufeira Resident

AJSUGGY View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJSUGGY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/March/2021 at 08:58
Thanks Cudsur for the update. As I said my memory is not what it was.
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/March/2021 at 15:07
Here's a view I don't recall having seen before. Probably taken in the early 1960's (although the original caption says 1950's) the Sol e Mar hotel is under construction. Note the huge difference in the height of the beach in the foreground to what it is now.

Albufeira Resident

AJSUGGY View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJSUGGY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27/March/2021 at 15:24
they must have pumped a lot of sand to widen the beach to its present height. Didn't we have this discussion last year about when the hotel opened? 
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28/March/2021 at 08:36
Yes there was a massive project in 2011 to widen the beach, mostly so that more tourists could sit on it, but also to help prevent the cliffs being eroded by keeping the waves back about 50 metres.

Yes there was discussion about Sol e Mar which I cannot find at present.
Albufeira Resident

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic