Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Photo sharing / Partilha de fotos
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Old, pre marina, photo and a challenge for Tom!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Old, pre marina, photo and a challenge for Tom!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old, pre marina, photo and a challenge for Tom!
    Posted: 29/April/2020 at 14:17
As promised yesterday, another old photo, I haven’t posted this one before so hopefully it’s new to you.
Anyway, Toms challenge, or indeed anyone else who wants to have a go, does this balcony still exist and if so can we have an up to date photo, so we can do another “now and then” please?
If it helps I think you’ll find it’s somewhere between the water tower and Luau’s! Lol!
Shout me if you can’t get your bearings in that area! Lol!

Andrew
Sponsored Links

cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/April/2020 at 08:54
Love the flares. I was up that way near the water tower not long ago. Tricky ground around there with a lot of fairly recent building. I shall print this and go off to have a look this afternoon.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
pyrman View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyrman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/April/2020 at 12:15
The elevation isn`t enough for Water Tower. I think it is a little house just up from the Marina roundabout ... 
Pyrman
Orada-man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orada-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/April/2020 at 13:08
Andrew, have you any idea when this was taken?

I read from Tom that he remembered the 'cliff being blasted' I never thought of that but assuming now that became the Marina entrance.

I agree the elevation is not very high but look at windmill hill and the absence of buildings.

pyrman View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyrman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/April/2020 at 14:42
When I said Marina roundabout, I should have been clearer ... the dual carriageway roundabout with the boat ... not the `porto do abrigo` one for harbour.  According to streetview there is still a building that matches ..  drive up beside it and spin round ... 
Pyrman
Andrew View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/April/2020 at 19:33
pyrman,
Yes there is a building, opposite end to our Lady of Orada by the roundabout commonly known as the squareabout. I posted many “then and now” pictures some years ago.
If I can’t find the thread I’ll post again.
Andrew
Andrew View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30/April/2020 at 19:36
Orada man, Jackson, my feel is about ‘78, ‘79, primarily based on that’s when flares were the height of fashion.
Andrew
Orada-man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orada-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/May/2020 at 00:37
Originally posted by Andrew Andrew wrote:

Orada man, Jackson, my feel is about ‘78, ‘79, primarily based on that’s when flares were the height of fashion.

I was still at school then Tongue
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/May/2020 at 08:34
I have the general angle but think I was too high with this one. There are a couple of places more that I want to try later today.

The original picture is not too sharp, but I can make out the stump of the windmill up on the hill. It probably hadn't been restored at that time.

Albufeira Resident

Andrew View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/May/2020 at 08:41
Nice try Tom but I agree, lower elevation and possibly a little bit more west of there?
Andrew
Orada-man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orada-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/May/2020 at 18:07
I think Pyrman might have a good suggestion, there are a few buildings off the dead end entrance to Ship Roundabout and then there is Luau which would make the elevation closer to right.

cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/May/2020 at 19:05
This I think is it. I could not get to the exact location as the property appeared to be occupied and there is also a tree in the way. I took the two photos earlier today from slightly further up the hill as per the map. Click it to see larger size.

On the original I can make out what is now the Castelo do Mar restaurant, just at the bottom of the slope from the windmill.  I used that as my aiming point. It seems to me that, looking to the left of the windmill, that the top of Cerro Grande was flattened out a bit when built upon.

This old image clearly shows the low cliff and small beach that was removed to create the entrance to the marina.

Albufeira Resident

Andrew View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/May/2020 at 20:00
Cheers Tom, excellent job.
Enjoyed viewing those 👍
Andrew
Gazza View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/May/2020 at 10:26
Thumbs Up
Jock View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/May/2020 at 11:27
These old photo's are fascinating.  They show me how much development there has been.
It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As pretty as an Airport' appear. Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic