Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » The Portuguese Culture / A Cultura Portuguesa
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Learning Portuguese

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunseeker2010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Learning Portuguese
    Posted: 03/April/2020 at 11:16
I've decided I'm going to use the lockdown as an opportunity to improve my existing (limited) knowledge of the Portuguese language. Does anyone have any online resources they would recommend?
Sponsored Links

Richardk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/April/2020 at 11:30
Sounds a great idea - its about time I learnt Portuguese (6 and half years living here)
Jock View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/April/2020 at 12:53
 I'm sure there are others. I used it to learn a bit of German.
It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As pretty as an Airport' appear. Douglas Adams
sidsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/April/2020 at 09:39
Originally posted by sunseeker2010 sunseeker2010 wrote:

I've decided I'm going to use the lockdown as an opportunity to improve my existing (limited) knowledge of the Portuguese language. Does anyone have any online resources they would recommend?

Great idea 👍

Jock's suggestion Duolingo only seems to offer Brazilian Portuguese (but I may use the app to see how much school days French I can remember!)

Any other suggestions for Portugal Portuguese apps?

Thanks xx
sunseeker2010 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunseeker2010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/April/2020 at 13:30
The Michel Thomas CDs are very good for understanding the rules of the language. I would now like to expand on what I have learned, but there aren't as many resources online for learning Portuguese as there are for learning French, German and Spanish etc.
pyrman View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pyrman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/April/2020 at 11:33
There is a very `basic`course on my site www.albufeiraguide.yolasite.com/language.php

I recommend Babbel ...
Pyrman
bebop View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bebop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/July/2020 at 16:42
I , like Sunseeker, reckoned that I would use spare time to learn Portuguese. I have picked up words and phrases over the years but would like to have a better knowledge of the language.  I have gone with Duolingo.  
My understanding is that most of the language is understood in Portugal but there are a few words, for example, Pineapple in Portugal is ananas , whereas in Brazil is abacaxi - totally different word.
I would like to ask if the Brazilian portuguese, which is the only option on Duolingo is understood well in Portugal?

Also, Pyrman, is there a cost for the Babbel that you recommended, and is it Portuguese rather than Brazilian portuguese?
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/July/2020 at 09:25
"I would like to ask if the Brazilian portuguese, which is the only option on Duolingo is understood well in Portugal?"

It is, to the extent that the Brazilian made endless and tedious equivalents of British 'soap operas' are broadcast without sub titles. My neighbour is from Brazil, as are many of his friends here.

It is a problem for those wishing to learn that almost all dictionaries and learning media default to Brazilian, which is of course spoken by very many more people than 'classic' Portuguese. There are significant differences in pronunciation between the two 'versions' of the language.

There are similar to be found via a Google search. Other search websites are available.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
Teresa View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teresa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14/January/2021 at 20:44
All are probably fluent by now...  ;)  but, if not, I had the same thoughts and have found another site, https://www.practiceportuguese.com/  

Teaches European Portuguese not Brazilian.  There is small fee though 15 Euros/month
sunseeker2010 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunseeker2010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15/January/2021 at 10:12
Originally posted by Teresa Teresa wrote:

All are probably fluent by now...  ;)  but, if not, I had the same thoughts and have found another site, https://www.practiceportuguese.com/  

Teaches European Portuguese not Brazilian.  There is small fee though 15 Euros/month

Thanks for that. I will check it out. Have you been using it often?

Sadly I never did get round to committing more time to improving my Portuguese during the first lockdown.
Teresa View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teresa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/January/2021 at 00:30
No, I haven't used it yet.  I've been looking for European Portuguese lessons but was finding only Brazilian.  I'd even search kijiji for a tutor but cost was too high (C$20-40/lesson).

I read the English language Portuguese online paper, The Portuguese News, and found the site advertised there.

And, I know how it is with time getting away from you!  I've been meaning to improve my Portuguese since the first lockdown too! Confused
pyrman View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pyrman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16/January/2021 at 13:43
Teresa ... on your rental question I recommended you join some of the Albufeira facebook sites .. I have seen online lessons advertised there.
Pyrman
pyrman View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pyrman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/January/2021 at 16:08
European Portuguese links .. 
https://www.facebook.com/Cut-The-Mustard-100244421359165
Pyrman
Teresa View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teresa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/January/2021 at 21:34
Thanks pyrman!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic