Albufeira.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Tourism / Turismo » Users Chit Chat / Conversa entre Utilizadores
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Virus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3839404142 54>
Author
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teresa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17/January/2021 at 20:36
Here,  grocery stores, pharmacies and large stores like Walmarts are allowed to open and allowed to sell anything - a very sore point here as these large stores are selling lots of non-essential items like TVs, etc. while privately owned small shops are closed other than for curbside pick-up of online orders only.  (Although most small shops have just closed - I suppose not worth having a staff available for the odd pick-up order.)

Liquor and beers stores are open as they are considered essential as are cannabis stores (it is legal here)!  LOL  I suppose, the longer the lockdown, the more essential these are!  :D

I don't think we've seen the worst of the economic impact yet...  very sad situations for many people.
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18/January/2021 at 10:16
To answer Jock, I will bet that many footballers have mothers, wives or girlfriends or sisters who are 'airdressers. Or they can wangle a home visit.

Yesterday afternoon, some of the patrons of the bar by me had migrated across the road to sit on a wall. One chap had even brought a small folding chair, like fishermen have, so that could sit a bit more comfortably. Socially distanced they were not. I was waiting for the wailing sirens and mass arrests, but no.

As I write the bar owner is across the street in converse with two of his customers.
Albufeira Resident

www.algarvebus.info public transport information for the Algarve
Algarveaddick View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Algarveaddick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/January/2021 at 13:01
The government have acted quickly to stop the coffee in the street thing. See below for the new measures mentioned last night.

• A ban on weekend travel between municipalities is reinstated;
  • All establishments of all types must close at 20h00 during the week and 13h00 on weekends. The exception is food retailing which on weekends can operate until 17h00;
  • The sale at the door on any non-food establishment, such as clothing shops, will be prohibited;
  • The sale at the door of any kind of beverage, even coffee, is prohibited;
  • The presence and consumption of food outside or in the vicinity of establishments is prohibited;
  • All restaurants in shopping centres are closed, even if they are take-away;
  • Sales and discounts promoting the movement of people are forbidden;
  • It is forbidden for people to stay in public spaces such as gardens. They can be frequented, but they cannot be places to spend time at;
  • Municipalities are asked to limit access to areas that invite concentration of people, such as river margins (“marginais”, “ribeiras”), including spaces to play tennis or “pádel”;
  • Senior universities, day centres and community centres are closed;
  • Travel for on-site work will require a written declaration from the employer;
  • In the next 48 hours companies with more than 250 employees must send the Authority for Working Conditions (ACT) the nominal list of all employees whose in-person work they consider indispensable.

Go away Duchatalet
pyrman View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyrman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/January/2021 at 13:26
At long last .. after almost a year of pussyfooting around ... a proper lockdown.
Pyrman
Teresa View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teresa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/January/2021 at 16:02
Wow, that is how it should be done!  Very sad for the businesses but this is what's needed.  There are too, too many loopholes in our lockdown.  As much as no one would enjoy the severity of Portugal's lockdown, it is the only way to get things under control (anywhere).   Months and months of wishy-washy lockdowns do not help businesses either!

I hope you start seeing improvement soon.
Jock View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19/January/2021 at 20:24
As we found in Scotland, if it doesn't hurt it isn't working.
It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As pretty as an Airport' appear. Douglas Adams
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20/January/2021 at 10:44
A step in the right direction but it is essential now that schools etc must be closed and children confined to home.  Surely children must be among the chief carrier suspects?

All sports events must also cease. Why should contact sports like football be allowed? Even in their protected environment they go home to wives and children.

Albufeira Resident

cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/January/2021 at 08:41
Living in a small apartment block with thin walls makes it all too easy to overhear neighbours having shouting matches. Let's hope these don't escalate, but with the weeks of unemployment and confinement turning into months, I fear there will be domestic violence in the news.
Albufeira Resident

JuliejH View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JuliejH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/January/2021 at 11:28
I can totally understand the domestic issues, in my small cul de sac there is an abusive husband and she’s been terrified, but feels she cannot escape , awful the repercussions from this virus !
Richardk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/January/2021 at 13:03
As I understand it ( my Portuguese isn't good) schools are closing after tomorrow (friday)
Teresa View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teresa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/January/2021 at 15:32
Vaccines do bring a light to the end of the tunnel but I don't feel we've seen or heard of many of the longer lasting consequences of this virus.

In a typical recession, the news would be filled with bankruptcy stats, interviews with business owners and the unemployed, etc.  I've seen only small blurbs thus far...  certainly Covid, vaccines and US politics have taken the majority of the news.  (Could be that my proximity to the US exposes us to much more US related news??)

I worry the coming months will show more damage to people's mental and emotional state, the personal financial impact and the economic impact.

But, on a more positive note, the stock market is indicating a positive and strong second half of 2021!  And I believe the Roaring 20s (following WWI and 1918 flu pandemic) shows the positive effect of pent up demand and everyone's relief that the 'worst is over'!  

The tech advances which have been seen and accepted over the last year will, hopefully, also have a positive impact on business and health!
peteknopp View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peteknopp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/January/2021 at 15:40
yes all school activity shuts from tomorrow with no home schooling - they will catch up by either cancelling easter hols where not much would have been possible holiday wise or will keep schools open extra 2 weeks at end of this term
Jock View Drop Down
Top Contributors
Top Contributors

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Jock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21/January/2021 at 19:21
A year ago I was idly watching the news from Wuhan thinking it didn't concern me.  How wrong I was.
It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As pretty as an Airport' appear. Douglas Adams
Luis View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Luis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/January/2021 at 01:21
At last a meeting between the leaders of the various Countries of the European Union brought unity and a decision was made that the goal is to vaccinate 70% of the Population of the Countries that are part of the EU by the summer i suspect that they mean end of the summer it is an ambitious target and this really has to be treated like a war,i am confident that the tide will turn and I agree with the creator of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine who said that some level of normalacy will be reached by Winter 2021. Also I watched the speach of Mr Biden who is taking the same approach now treating this like a wartime effort only going with all guns blazing we will get there. It's great to see the Army involved in the UK effort to defeat the virus setting up vaccinating points helping with the logistics and organisation and seeing that now 24/7 vaccination hubs are starting to operate,if you can get up at 2am to go and catch a flight surely the same can be done to go and get vaccinated.
cubsur View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cubsur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22/January/2021 at 08:58
Originally posted by Richardk Richardk wrote:

As I understand it ( my Portuguese isn't good) schools are closing after tomorrow (friday)
Correct. The education sector is being closed down after today until further notice.

Various 'experts' are now calling for the complete closedown of all office based business, commerce and public transport.
Albufeira Resident

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3839404142 54>
  Share Topic